Hi! New member in the North | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hi! New member in the North

Update:

Bittersweet to say that the NR was sold and is staying in Japan. I looked at the costs and effort to bring her over, storing, insurance, and terrible road conditions, not to mention rampant thefts and parted ways.

I feel like we'll meet again.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a RC51 and my buddy called dibs on it. Then I found another but despite low miles looked like it had been through hell and back.

Was about to give up for the season but found a super cherry ZX9R. Bit of a battleship but good for the riding I'll be doing. Not too many technical twisties in the area and if I get to track days I'll find another bike.

May end up in GTA in next few months now that things are easing up. We'll look forward to bike meets or occasional rides.

Ride safe!
Crushed. Financially that was probably the smart play but I was hoping to hear such a special bike ripping around the province. Congrats on the new bike.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a RC51 and my buddy called dibs on it. Then I found another but despite low miles looked like it had been through hell and back.

Was about to give up for the season but found a super cherry ZX9R. Bit of a battleship but good for the riding I'll be doing. Not too many technical twisties in the area and if I get to track days I'll find another bike.

May end up in GTA in next few months now that things are easing up. We'll look forward to bike meets or occasional rides.

Ride safe!
RC51 values have been going up lately, and it's hard to find deals. They're usually badly modded (often due to a crash) high milers or the seller wants stupid money. They're typical Honda, so definitely durable bikes if nobody got too aggressive with motor mods, but simple consumables have gotten hard to find and consequently overly expensive. I'm building a track bike out of one, and the prices I see things like Akrapovic exhausts sell for are insane. OEM fairings, undertails and a few other odds and ends are also bananas. Nothing compared to an NR, obviously, but these bikes were common once upon a time. If you're ever in the market again for one, I can give you a few things to look for to help avoid a dog. They're also brutally uncomfortable and stiff, so not good for miles or rough roads.

Excellent choice with the ZX-9R. A classic road sportbike that disappeared from the market when Honda stopped selling the F4i. Relatively comfy, usable power, and stable, solid handling. The kind of bike that seems to be making a comeback with things like the RS660 and R7, really.

Very sorry to hear about the NR, but the logic is unassailable. Hopefully something equally special us in your future...

RC51 values have been going up lately, and it's hard to find deals. They're usually badly modded (often due to a crash) high milers or the seller wants stupid money. They're typical Honda, so definitely durable bikes if nobody got too aggressive with motor mods, but simple consumables have gotten hard to find and consequently overly expensive. I'm building a track bike out of one, and the prices I see things like Akrapovic exhausts sell for are insane. OEM fairings, undertails and a few other odds and ends are also bananas. Nothing compared to an NR, obviously, but these bikes were common once upon a time. If you're ever in the market again for one, I can give you a few things to look for to help avoid a dog. They're also brutally uncomfortable and stiff, so not good for miles or rough roads.

Excellent choice with the ZX-9R. A classic road sportbike that disappeared from the market when Honda stopped selling the F4i. Relatively comfy, usable power, and stable, solid handling. The kind of bike that seems to be making a comeback with things like the RS660 and R7, really.

Very sorry to hear about the NR, but the logic is unassailable. Hopefully something equally special us in your future...
For RC my buddy got a nice one. 30k, well looked after. I had found one with 5,700km but after looking at it there were multiple red flags including a flashing FI (though might've been a small issue or due to race exhaust).

Somehow the rear cowl around the pegs used to secure the rear seat cover were cracked and passenger seat worn down. Almost like it had been used as a courier bike with a big heavy top box. It also looked like it had been outside for 20 years. Body otherwise was okay but every nut and bolt had rust or corrosion.

The way it was set up suggested it was low mileage but everyone of those km were at max RPM. Not a bad use but not necessarily good for resale. Despite this it sounded so damn good I still almost got it.

ZX will be a reliable bike and I've owned a ZX11 in the past and actually rode a 9R in Thailand many years ago. Not the flashiest or fastest, but gets me back on 2 wheels for a small bit of change and then keep looking around for the next one.

Good luck with your track bike. RC sounds soooooo good when allowed to sing.

Heya

I finally picked up an RC51. 2001 SP1 with 39k km on it.

Few bits and pieces like a Scotts damper, alarm, sprocket change and speedohealer. Pretty good condition overall.

At some point might consider some pipes to make it roar though likely keep it basically as-is and ride it on Sundays. Or tune the hell out of it. Bit conflicted.

Feels good and still getting used to it. Might not be a quick as the ZX9R but more engaging ride. Am sure it's awesome in the real twisty bits.

Cheers!

Heya

I finally picked up an RC51. 2001 SP1 with 39k km on it.

Few bits and pieces like a Scotts damper, alarm, sprocket change and speedohealer. Pretty good condition overall.

At some point might consider some pipes to make it roar though likely keep it basically as-is and ride it on Sundays. Or tune the hell out of it. Bit conflicted.

Feels good and still getting used to it. Might not be a quick as the ZX9R but more engaging ride. Am sure it's awesome in the real twisty bits.

Cheers!
Nice! I think they're great bikes if you're looking for something a bit special without breaking the bank. And having that Honda reliability means you can actually put miles on without worrying too much. They're heavy and very stiff, but you really do get that works track bike feeling out of one. Not sure if you've seen it yet, but the 44 Teeth guys did a video with a mint one and a RSV1000 special edition recently:

I think you'll be pleased with what they have to say.

Some parts can be a bit of a challenge to find, but I did well on the rc51forums.com and ended up making a Facebook account just for the various owners groups on there (there's a service manual there you can download, too). If the stock bits are in good shape, they're often worth more than aftermarket, so it may be prudent to replace and store them carefully. Some stuff is just nuts, though, like original full Akrapovic systems that you can't buy new anymore. Hindle sells slip-ons for a very reasonable price if you just want a bit more noise.

At that mileage it's probably worth checking the valve clearances, which is a bit of a faff, but not too bad. It's a lot easier if you remove the tank airbox (careful with that stupid front screw! If it strips, and it strips easily, it's a huge pain to fix) and rads, but can be done without. Mine is similar mileage and needed a few minor tweaks to the shims, but nothing scary. The compression in the rear cylinder (runs hotter) was a bit down but improved with the right clearances.

Also, look for leaking at the rear tank mount where it pivots, as the SP1's weren't strong enough and they can crack there when the front is lifted with a full tank. The suspension is also likely full of sludge now, so it may be worth a rebuild.

I have a few extra OEM bits from what was stripped in the track conversion, so let me know if you need any parts and I'll dig through the bin. Similarly, give me a shout if you need any tips on projects, even if only to learn from my mistakes.

Aside from the valves, I swapped the swingarm and wheels for SP-2 parts, replaced the suspension (and had Accelerated Technology do Ohlins pistons in the front), installed silicone hoses, track fairings, clip ons, rearsets, replaced the rear brake reservoir with PSR mini, braided lines, recovered seat, swapped front master to Brembo radial, brake discs front and rear, Oberon clutch slave, moved to smaller coolant overflow tank, Factory Pro shift star and spring, slipper clutch, SP-2 judder spring, 520 chain conversion with gearing change, rebuilt all calipers, replaced exhaust gaskets and installed Hindle slip-ons, PCV, Durbahn frame sliders, and a few other odds and ends I'm forgetting. If you have any similar plans, let me know, as some would go a lot smoother knowing what I know now. (The only real challenge that wasn't self-inflicted was getting the original swingarm pivot bolt out, as it had corroded and fused to a spacer. Patience, lots of penetrating oil, and ultimately a really big hammer solved that.)

Regardless, hearty congratulations on the get, and I look forward to seeing a few pics. Here's mine before I christened it with a low speed lowside in turn 2 at Grand Bend (only minor damage):

20210803_183012.jpg

Thanks for the tips.

I'm probably going to keep it relatively stock at this point, minus some pipes possibly. Its fun to run around and enjoy the stiff suspension (getting air off expansion joints at 140 is exhilarating).

I was thinking about the valve check since I don't know the history of the bike well. Suspension maintenance is a good idea also.

I don't do any of the maintenance myself so I'll check with a local shop about getting it in.

As you said original parts are pricey. Seems like a few places in states have some supply but another reason to keep her as my Sunday ride.

Really lovely bike though. Completely different to the ZX9R. Like a pitbull and a greyhound.

Thanks for the video too. I'll have a peek later. Your bike looks great all white also. Nicely done!

Back
Top Bottom