Hi! New member in the North | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hi! New member in the North

So cool.
Ovalpiston.jpg
WOOD!

probably the same kind of dudes that are into voyeurism

id rather participate
That's called MotoGP.

Sorry to be derailing your introduction TokyoRider - there's comradeship here, some antagonism here. It's a fantastic place to test out Cunningham's law, hope you enjoy your stay!

A bit more eye candy in an article that was just published last night. Some of the best shots of an NR750 I have ever seen.

Welcome!

I loved riding in Japan.

Singapore... not so much!
Are you in Japan now (as your signature says)? If so, please check out the GaijinRiders group on facebook and let me know if you need anything over there.

Singapore was great place to live. Malaysia is where I went for fun; highways paved with petro dollars and an invisible police force. "Spirited' riding and adventure...

Are you in Japan now (as your signature says)? If so, please check out the GaijinRiders group on facebook and let me know if you need anything over there.

Singapore was great place to live. Malaysia is where I went for fun; highways paved with petro dollars and an invisible police force. "Spirited' riding and adventure...

No, Japan was a few years ago, our RTW blog is very behind! I was on Gaijin Riders - but on the web forum before it folded and migrated to Facebook. I actually met up with a few people from GR who were kind enough to show us around their part of Japan. What a fabulous community! Not unlike this one.

Malaysia is great, I lived there till I was 9 years old. Many fond memories - mostly of the great food.

No, Japan was a few years ago, our RTW blog is very behind! I was on Gaijin Riders - but on the web forum before it folded and migrated to Facebook. I actually met up with a few people from GR who were kind enough to show us around their part of Japan. What a fabulous community! Not unlike this one.

Malaysia is great, I lived there till I was 9 years old. Many fond memories - mostly of the great food.
We may have crossed paths either in person or on that forum then. It really is a great community and I am sure that my continued participation will cause me some "home"sickness. Looking forward to being a part of this forum also.

I bet growing up in Malaysia was an adventure and a half. Look forward to hearing some stories at some point in the future!

A bit more eye candy in an article that was just published last night. Some of the best shots of an NR750 I have ever seen.

I see lots of Italian chrome
stunning

Its amazing to see these still on the road and in such beautiful condition.

Welcome! I worked I lived in Blind River a few years ago while working at Wells/Rainer in Wharncliffe. Would love to see that NR when you get it here!

Welcome! I worked I lived in Blind River a few years ago while working at Wells/Rainer in Wharncliffe. Would love to see that NR when you get it here!
Wow that's great. I haven't lived in Blind River for many years now but still visit family in the area often.

Looks like it will be early 2021 before it comes over. Once here I'll find some places to show it. Trying to find someone to insure it now.

Not sure how I missed this, but better late than never...

First off, welcome back to Canada. Hope the things you missed about here when in Japan will outweigh the things you'll miss about Japan while here!

And that bike, well done. For folks of my generation and preference for sportbikes, it's probably the most important design of any motorcycle. It became the, ahem, inspiration (i.e. borderline theft) for the 916, which launched a thousand underseat pipes, single sided swingarms, waspy waistlines, moulded headlights, etc. It permanently changed what a sportbike could and should look like. To me it also represents, along with the RC30, the absolute pinnacle of what Honda used to be as a motorcycle company. Leading the world in innovation, experimentation, design and engineering. They're a shadow of their former selves now, sadly. Still making great bikes, but just another manufacturer, not magicians...

Not sure how I missed this, but better late than never...

First off, welcome back to Canada. Hope the things you missed about here when in Japan will outweigh the things you'll miss about Japan while here!

And that bike, well done. For folks of my generation and preference for sportbikes, it's probably the most important design of any motorcycle. It became the, ahem, inspiration (i.e. borderline theft) for the 916, which launched a thousand underseat pipes, single sided swingarms, waspy waistlines, moulded headlights, etc. It permanently changed what a sportbike could and should look like. To me it also represents, along with the RC30, the absolute pinnacle of what Honda used to be as a motorcycle company. Leading the world in innovation, experimentation, design and engineering. They're a shadow of their former selves now, sadly. Still making great bikes, but just another manufacturer, not magicians...
Thanks for the welcome. It's been great to be back and see family, old friends, and especially share the great nature in Northern Ontario with my kids.

Thanks also for the bike. Definitely got lucky to get that. Would love an RC30 and 45 (and NCs too). Have come close to each on various occasions but didn't pull the trigger. Regretting a bit now. So many lovely examples available over there. Maybe import in the future.

Honda seems to be missing a bit of its mojo but that's likely due to the absence of Mr. Honda himself. He was renegade and a dreamer. Some of his pursuits nearly bankrupted the company but brought wonderful products and achievements. Don't see that much these days. I do sometimes list after the CBR1000RRRRrrrrr. The newest CBR also felt so small and light compared to my S1000RR. didn't have s chance to ride but must have sweet in transitions!

Reactions: J_F
just my guess
but the car culture @ Honda ruined the bikes
in a cage most people want dead-nuts boring reliability

innovation continues at the other 3 who's primary business is not cars
(Suzuki maybe getting a bit stagnant)

just my guess
but the car culture @ Honda ruined the bikes
in a cage most people want dead-nuts boring reliability

innovation continues at the other 3 who's primary business is not cars
(Suzuki maybe getting a bit stagnant)
As I understand it the bikes and cars businesses are kept seperate with the NR being one of the last projects. Likely money for bike development and racing would not have been available if not for the cars.

Now it seems that more dual- product companies are coming back together. It always seemed odd to me that Suzuki while flogging their small cars to the public never mentioned the Hayabusa as a halo product.

Similarly one wonders what took BMW so long to brand their motorbikes with "M"s.

I think Honda is conservative in general and looking to avoid disappointment rather than swinging for the fences. Type-R shows they still know how to do it! Maybe a CBR 1000-RR R Type R is in the works!

Reactions: J_F
It always seemed odd to me that Suzuki while flogging their small cars to the public never mentioned the Hayabusa as a halo product.
I also don't understand why suzuki didnt go with mopars strategy and throw the busa motor into every vehicle it could physically fit in. A factory busa swift would be a riot (and insurable).

Update:

Bittersweet to say that the NR was sold and is staying in Japan. I looked at the costs and effort to bring her over, storing, insurance, and terrible road conditions, not to mention rampant thefts and parted ways.

I feel like we'll meet again.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a RC51 and my buddy called dibs on it. Then I found another but despite low miles looked like it had been through hell and back.

Was about to give up for the season but found a super cherry ZX9R. Bit of a battleship but good for the riding I'll be doing. Not too many technical twisties in the area and if I get to track days I'll find another bike.

May end up in GTA in next few months now that things are easing up. We'll look forward to bike meets or occasional rides.

Ride safe!

Back
Top Bottom