Help. Bike died while riding on the 400 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help. Bike died while riding on the 400

Obd connection will not diag a dropped valve or spun bearing.
End of that plug has either valve on it or piston ring on it.
Bottom line is you have a mechanical failure on your hands and there is nothing else you can do. Take it into the dealer if it's still under warranty. If not find yourself an engine or someone that can rebuild yours.

I replaced the plug and the bike would not even have spark or turn over. All that is does when I press the starter button is a click from the starter relay.

It seems like I have an electrical and mechanical problem?

cuz even if there was an engine failure i should still be able to have some spark or ignition.

Last edited:
I replaced the plug and the bike would even have spark or turn over. All that is does when I press the starter button is a click from the starter relay.

It seems like I have an electrical and mechanical problem?

cuz even if there was an engine failure i should still be able to have some spark or ignition.

Not if you have spun a bearing or dropped a valve that resulted in locking up the engine.

Read what has been written. If you're not ready/able to take the valve cover off and start digging deeper then it's time for you to take the bike to a shop that can.

That looks like alot of metal flake on your plug....that's not good.

Obd connection will not diag a dropped valve or spun bearing.
End of that plug has either valve on it or piston ring on it.
Bottom line is you have a mechanical failure on your hands and there is nothing else you can do. Take it into the dealer if it's still under warranty. If not find yourself an engine or someone that can rebuild yours.

Pic is not that great.. is the end of it damaged??

If it is then I think you have a serious problem. Something hard got between the piston and head and the piston jammed it into the plug. My first thought would be a dropped/broken valve.

I would stop trying to start your bike. The last time I had a plug look like that my crank bearing was gone. You should never have metal flakes/chunks on your spark plug.

I guess my next step is to remove the Valve cover and inspect the piston and valves.

I guess its time for me to cancel my insurance....this doesn't look like it will be a quick fix

I guess my next step is to remove the Valve cover and inspect the piston and valves.

I guess its time for me to cancel my insurance....this doesn't look like it will be a quick fix

What if you fix it in a week? Or have someone do it for you? Think of all the hassle of cancelling the policy and then making a new one. Most of your premiums have been used up anyways, you won't get much money back (if you paid in full).
Don't think about insurance for now, figure out whether you're taking the plunge yourself or taking it to a shop.
You said the bike only has 3500kms? Shouldn't this be under warranty?

The bike is a 2007 Hyosung gt250r with 3500km. It's out of warranty.

I know the piston require more than just the valve cover. I was more so saying where I'm starting out.

I asked a close by hyo dealer and they want $160 just to take a look at it for estimate.

In terms if insurance I'm with state farm and pay monthly. So I might be able to save over a third of my premiums. I'll talk to my broker tomorrow. It might be worth it to save that money to get the bike road worthy for next season........

I'm just really frustrated how this happened out if the blue with no symptoms. It's like the bike just decided to fail on me. It was running fine that morning

Something just let go, it happens.
Valve keeper could have let go dropping a valve, spring could have broke, or a bearing could have been starved for oil for a sec and spun.
Either way sounds like your in for a tear down bro.
Get someone to look at it then maybe start looking for a complete engine on eBay or get a quote on a repair.

You can't see pistons by taking off valve cover.

Well if you can, you've found your problem.

Stop trying to start your engine. Or else you will be replacing a motor and a starter.

Wow, whats up with Hyosung bikes.

Every Hyosung bike ive picked up or dropped off, has had some kind of serious issue with it.

I have most the bike apart. Took the carb out and I think the front carb jet might be clogged causing the front cylinder to run lean. Still working my way to the valves and piston.

Is there a place I can bring my starter to test?

So far the starter sounds like the least of your worries. The new engine you may buy could come with a starter. Depending on the design you could clamp it in a vice and quickly apply power to see if it spins. You can do it without the vice if you hold it tightly but they jump when you apply power so be careful.

Don't worry about your starter motor until you find out why that spark plug looks like it does.

You will need to take the cylinder head off.

I have a suspicion that the engine has dropped a valve into that cylinder. (translation; it's really, really broken)

Cylinder head is coming out today or sometime this week. I was just gonna see if anywhere can test the starter while I take apart the motor. Eventhough i know it's not a big deal.

Pic is not that great.. is the end of it damaged??

If it is then I think you have a serious problem. Something hard got between the piston and head and the piston jammed it into the plug. My first thought would be a dropped/broken valve.

My 1st thought would be someone used the wrong spark plug, lol

Wow, whats up with Hyosung bikes.

Every Hyosung bike ive picked up or dropped off, has had some kind of serious issue with it.

There's a reason its slightly less expensive ;)

Back
Top Bottom