Help. Bike died while riding on the 400 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help. Bike died while riding on the 400

awdsome

My bike died while I'm riding home from work today.

Im still stuck on the side of the 400. My friend came and we tried to jump start it thinking it was the battery. But nothing.

So now I'm clueless as to what can possibly cause my bike to die out while riding on the hwy

Please help

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.960813,-79.575932

Jump start....should work even if the battery is done. Try second gear, get a good push if possible and pup the clutch out and should start up.

***Did you run outta fuel, switch to reserve***

Shortage of symptoms here.

Electrical system completely dead - no lights, no cranking, no horn, no nothing, even when connected to booster cables -> Blown main fuse, broken or loose battery cable or chassis ground strap, etc.

If the engine did not crank when connected properly to another battery or vehicle through booster cables then that rules out charging system or battery problems.

Make sure you haven't hit the ignition-kill switch by accident. There is a circuit involving the side-stand switch and the neutral switch and the clutch switch that is intended to prevent you from riding off with the side-stand down. Problems with this circuit can cause all sorts of stalling and no-crank issues. Visually check operation of side-stand switch, make sure the neutral lamp on the instruments is coming on normally, etc.

Crank but no fire (for a little while until the battery runs down ...), lights are normal brightness, etc. -> Check fuel delivery. Check that the gas tank is venting properly (no air in means no fuel out). Check fuel level in tank.

Anything more involved than these, is not going to get fixed at the side of the road.

The possibility of major mechanical failure can't be excluded, but if that's what has happened, the bike is not going to be moving under its own steam any time soon.

I fueled up this morning so the tank is full.

I checked the main fuse and it's good.

When I have the keys to the on position the odometer turns on so the electrical system seems to be fine.

Theres oil in my engine.

When I try to start it and it makes a clicking noise

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.960849,-79.575914

Sounds to me to be a weak battery. Jumping it should have worked. Check the jumper connections and try again.Cant be any of the kill or safety switches (ie clutch switch or sife stand switch or else it wouldnt click when you try to start it.

are you still there? call moto limo 416 651 2424

If you have caa plus, call them and request that moto limo comes.

Is it possible for the engine to rotate

This is an important question and you need to find out the answer to it. It's the reason I was asking earlier if it was possible to bump-start the engine.

If the engine is locked up (seized, or some other major mechanical failure) then it won't allow the starter motor to rotate. The excessive current draw will cause battery voltage to drop so low that the starter solenoid drops out. This cuts power to the starter, allowing voltage to go back up and the starter solenoid to click back in ... clikclikclikclikclikclikclikclikclikclikclikclik ... but it also won't be possible to bump-start the engine, because the engine won't rotate in that condition either.

Find out if you can bump-start it ... or at least if the engine will rotate when attempting to do so.

If the engine is locked up, you've got big mechanical problems.

If the engine is not locked up but the starter solenoid still clicks and it won't crank, you've got electrical problems in the starter circuit, but this doesn't fully explain why the engine quit while out on the road. A weak battery that won't deliver enough current will also click the starter solenoid and not spin the starter ... but connecting it to a booster battery (with proper booster cables, not tiny skinny wires, right???) should make it go.

So I was just able to bump start it. But when the bike was on it made some weird pretty loud ticking noises from the engine area. And as soon as I shifted down for second to first and started slowing down the motor died out before i came to a stop.

So I was just able to bump start it. But when the bike was on it made some weird pretty loud ticking noises from the engine area. And as soon as I shifted down for second to first and started slowing down the motor died out before i came to a stop.

I had very similar symptoms when the bottom end of a car let go. You could get it to start with a lot of work, but it sounded like a bag of hammers. Figure out what your problem was before you venture out again. How long has it been since your last oil change, how many km's on the bike? I would drain your current oil and look for shinyness (or metal flakes/chunks). When I lost the bearings, my oil looked like it had gold dust suspended in it, it would have been interesting to see if I wasn't so ****** off.

This is not saying that the above is your problem, most of your symptoms (other than the ticking) could also be explained by electrical gremlins.

The bike only has about 3500km my last oil change was at 1000km

Sounds like this could be a serious mechanical issue and likely not something that can be properly diagnosed over the internet. Either have a mechanic come check it out or get it taken into a shop.

So I woke up not being able to sleep because if the bike

Took out the spark plugs and This is how my front spark plug looks like. The rear one is normal.

Is that a sign for something?

Before I bring it to a mechanic I rather try to diagnose the problem the best I could first. I am pretty mechanically inclined. Just not too familiar with bike problems

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1314451615.938134.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1314451615.938134.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 98
Pic is not that great.. is the end of it damaged??

If it is then I think you have a serious problem. Something hard got between the piston and head and the piston jammed it into the plug. My first thought would be a dropped/broken valve.

do bikes have something like cars do (Obd sensor) to run some test?. I had somewhat a similar issue when I washed my bike.

Bike in gear, bike-stands up, kill switch off, clutch engaged, fire it up and it just crank....

It was wierd coz I was able to do it for years...

Then I did same thing again only difference is instead of it being in gear.I've put it in neutral and it turned on...

I knoe its Probabyly not the same issue but now everything seems back to normal.

BTW not sure if you said what kinda of bike you have. It would probably help the experts on the forum to help you out.

goodluck fixing hope everything works for you.

Back
Top Bottom