Heated Gear | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heated Gear

I bought one of the FiredUP vests for my wife when there was a group buy here a few years ago. I loved it so much I bought another not too long afterwards.

Reality is when you warm your core, your extremities also stay warmer. One of the biggest reasons your arms, fingers, toes etc etc get cold is because your body starts to pull blood away from them when your core body temperature starts to drop. Keep your core warm and blood (and the heat that comes with it) flows freely to all those extremities. The difference is amazing.

The batteries are decent for 1-2 hour rides on high, or longer rides on lower settings. Myself, I made a cigarette lighter adapter for my vest that lets me use it endlessly on high. Coming back from Tail of the Dragon last fall it was a godsend - ran it on full the entire last day and I was toasty.

But yes, because of the way it works it does need to be fit close to your body with no more than 1 layer of fabric (IE, just a Tshirt at most) between it and your skin. It's also very form fitting, which may (or may not) be flattering depending on your build. Thankfully it's hidden under my jacket when I'm using mine LOL.

Heated gear will be an investment I make at some-point, lots of good options to chose from it seems!

I also decided to add some heavier merino base layers and see how those fare for now, I have a Woolpower shirt, and its been really good, they stay warm when wet, cool when hot, and Made in Sweden, much better than Icebreaker or any other brands I've tried. I've decided to add their 400gsm pant liners, and top, alongside the 600 or 800gsm socks, and see how that goes for the trip. Also all local, just down the road. Alot of reviews are from people who work in NWT and Yukon, and rave about them

The nice part with heated gear is the variability in temperature. I hate pulling over and changing. Without getting off the bike, just adjusting the heated gear temp, I can comfortably ride from 5C to 15C. I can do that with minimal layering and feeling like the Michelin man.

The nice part with heated gear is the variability in temperature. I hate pulling over and changing. Without getting off the bike, just adjusting the heated gear temp, I can comfortably ride from 5C to 15C. I can do that with minimal layering and feeling like the Michelin man.

100% this.

Layering is fine, but I'm also not a fan of the michelin man thing.

I ride all year round down to -18c. I do day rides at -10 with no issue.

"Warm n Safe" brand heated gloves, jacket and socks combined with Aerostich Fleace pants all under my Aerostich Roadcrafter. Long ago I stopped bothering with "base layers" as they made me sweat like a pig when stopped. Instead I just wear a soft shell over the heated jacket and a second one when it gets somewhere below 0c.

I used to have Gerbing gear but as has been mentioned earlier the company was bought by an investment group and no longer has the quality or warranty they used to have.

Nothing's perfect but hard to go wrong with "Warm n Safe".

..Tom

The too many layer thing is true, I've done it and at times feel a bit restricted. Is buying just a heated jacket okay, or does in need to be full on gloves and pants to make any difference?

Also no Canadian links for this warm n safe stuff everyone keeps mentioning?

Just found this on sale and on the fence about it

The too many layer thing is true, I've done it and at times feel a bit restricted. Is buying just a heated jacket okay, or does in need to be full on gloves and pants to make any difference?

I have a gears heated vest with a venture controller, vest along with heated grips and seat is good to as cold as I am interested in riding.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention it earlier, but throwing on a rain suit can make a big difference in retaining heat, especially when you're a long way from home and the sun is starting to set.

Is buying just a heated jacket okay, or does in need to be full on gloves and pants to make any difference?

Heated jacket will keep your core warm which is key, everything else is just nice to have. You always want to keep in mind how much power your stator puts out. A lot of bikes don't have the juice to power more than just a jacket.

Not sure if Warm & Safe has any distributors, I've only ordered from their website before.

Maybe I'm a wuss, but I would want to finetune the heat beyond just three settings. I find myself toggling my heat setting a tiny bit up and down throughout my ride.

Here's a good deal if you're an XL, Powerlet is also rebranded Warm & Safe Powerlet RapidFIRe heated jacket and gloves - never used | Other | Mississauga / Peel Region | Kijiji

I forgot to mention it earlier, but throwing on a rain suit can make a big difference in retaining heat, especially when you're a long way from home and the sun is starting to set.

Just got a new rain suit, good idea

Heated jacket will keep your core warm which is key, everything else is just nice to have. You always want to keep in mind how much power your stator puts out. A lot of bikes don't have the juice to power more than just a jacket.

Not sure if Warm & Safe has any distributors, I've only ordered from their website before.

Maybe I'm a wuss, but I would want to finetune the heat beyond just three settings. I find myself toggling my heat setting a tiny bit up and down throughout my ride.

Here's a good deal if you're an XL, Powerlet is also rebranded Warm & Safe Powerlet RapidFIRe heated jacket and gloves - never used | Other | Mississauga / Peel Region | Kijiji

I think its 14.0 V, 29.3 A @ 5000 rpm which results in 410 W, All I have is LED AUX lights and a USB quick charger hooked up

Ah, I'm far from XL sadly, an M at 175lbs 6ft, I've bought larger gear on crazy deals in store as I have long arms, however always regretted it as it bags around in the wind, and bunches up on the bike, so now just get fitted everything and gauntlet gloves.

Though, I didn't think of getting heated gear in used, how to check it even works without buying and plugging in, and also how do you wash all the gear?

This looks like a good deal

I think its 14.0 V, 29.3 A @ 5000 rpm which results in 410 W, All I have is LED AUX lights and a USB quick charger hooked up

Ah, I'm far from XL sadly, an M at 175lbs 6ft, I've bought larger gear on crazy deals in store as I have long arms, however always regretted it as it bags around in the wind, and bunches up on the bike, so now just get fitted everything and gauntlet gloves.

Though, I didn't think of getting heated gear in used, how to check it even works without buying and plugging in, and also how do you wash all the gear?

Heated gear you definitely want to fit well. If it isn't close to your skin, it doesn't work. 410W isn't a huge amount, I assume the bike is probably consuming ~200W of that already, plus around 30W or so for the aux lights. Leaves you with probably enough power for a jacket and gloves. You can wire up a volt meter to ensure that you're staying above 14V to charge the battery when riding.

Buying used is always a gamble, but I can't remember the last time I've been scammed. Most people are fairly trustworthy. That's a killer deal you found, I would jump on it.

I've hand washed my heated gear before without issue, not sure how well it would fare in the washer

Agreed with regder - heated gear should be relatively snug. Often I will wear my thin rain liner that came with my mesh jacket and wear that over the heated jacket, and under my armoured jacket. It helps block the wind out, and trap the heat in. It's more nimble to ride in than wearing my rain gear out.

I wash my heated by hand with a warm soapy towel or sponge and let it air dry completely.

If I was looking for heated gear, I would jump on that Muskoka deal too. The jacket alone is worth over $200.

I ride all year round down to -18c. I do day rides at -10 with no issue.

"Warm n Safe" brand heated gloves, jacket and socks combined with Aerostich Fleace pants all under my Aerostich Roadcrafter. Long ago I stopped bothering with "base layers" as they made me sweat like a pig when stopped. Instead I just wear a soft shell over the heated jacket and a second one when it gets somewhere below 0c.

I used to have Gerbing gear but as has been mentioned earlier the company was bought by an investment group and no longer has the quality or warranty they used to have.

Nothing's perfect but hard to go wrong with "Warm n Safe".

..Tom

Im curious what you make of tires and traction at those temps

Im curious what you make of tires and traction at those temps

The topic of tires and traction on a motorcycle in cold weather and suggestions it's "dangerous" by some is vastly overblown.

Can you ride a motorcycle like it's a hot day in August at below freezing in February? No. Do the tires become unrideable and exhibit zero traction or road holding ability as some would have you believe, leading to endless crashes? No.

Do you need to ride to conditions? Absolutely. But that's no different than any other time of the year.

That deal is killer, and if its still available next weekend, on my ride up I can have a look, though my bike can't handle to power all of it at one go. and looking at the sizing charts, the pants would be too small for me, about 2 sizes small. they may have some stretch.

I may just order that Venture heated vest and ship it to my sister in Calgary since the store is local there, If the warm n safe is still available I can pick it on the way and return the venture vest when I get there. I like the venture cause of the simple controller and ability to buy batteries to make it wireless. However warm n safe looks really top notch and quality. I don't plan to ride in the winter.

I have a Gears genx3 full sleeve heated jacket in medium with heated glove liners in xl. Plus I have the dual temperature controller for both and the battery harness.
I purchased all of it together used on kijiji a couple years ago and it works great. I don't use it much as my kids are young and so far I never get beyond day rides.
You are welcome to borrow the whole setup for your trip and decide later if you want to invest in your own.
I'm in Barrie.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I'm looking at heated grips, I'll get a pair in September/October, or maybe before the trip next week, I just hear conflicting reports on them, like warming the palm vs the whole hand. I do have hand guards on the bike

Thanks for the suggestions, though where are you guys buying all this, any Canadian retailers? I'm leaning toward the FiredUp stuff, being local and not having to deal with wiring, plugs, harnesses etc... Riding off road, gravel, or standing on the bike, I just don't want wires everywhere, when not in use I have to always find a way to hide them etc... Plus if one falls, do they just unplug or pull the gloves/cords straight off? I also like to do photography, and get of the bike to take pics, so constantly taking plugs on or off may get annoying, and having battery powered gear also means being able to use it off the bike, like a cold night camping or hiking in the winter

Just realize batteries have a nasty habit of going dead when you need them most.

Probably okay if you are only riding to the local Timmies.

..Tom

Back
Top Bottom