Has the Naked bike killed the Super Sport? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Has the Naked bike killed the Super Sport?

@ruffriders I will try that advice. ?

Cbx definitely a light little adv bike, good mileage too. Maybe if I was a dedicated tourer I'd consider the 650s or above, the odd time I could use the oomph but so far so good ?

My off road riding is very very tame compared to what you I or anyone with a true dirt bike or even an XR650 or 690 enduro would do. But it’s more than I was willing to do on a Road Glide or most would do on a naked or sport bike.
But every one of these locations also involved a hwy or twisty road at a nice spirited pace just not attainable on a DRZ400 Comfortably.

Nice bike! (y)

That last picture is one of the rides that I had to pick her up.
I say it that way because it was a lot harder to pick up than to drop it.

Insurance killed the super sport

Last edited by a moderator:
Insurance killed the super sport

Except that's largely just an Ontario situation (and to some extent a Quebec situation). Motorcycle insurance is pretty cheap in most places in the world. Supersports don't sell in large numbers in Europe, either. Aside from scooters (which are everywhere), the roads in Europe are filled with naked and adventure bikes.

Supersports got too optimized and focused on racetrack performance, to the extent that they're not good street bikes any more, and the performance available from modern litre bikes is basically irrelevant on the road (and I say that as an owner of two such bikes).

Having said that ... I love the so-called A2 motorcycle class (R3, Ninja 400, RC390, etc) and it has gotten a lot more popular. Big enough to be practical, and the legal limits put a container around what would otherwise be a horsepower or displacement war. The sport-oriented entries in that class haven't adopted the committed riding position that is part of why the supersports became such impractical street bikes. The R3 is a great street bike ... and I made one into my race bike.

Except that's largely just an Ontario situation (and to some extent a Quebec situation). Motorcycle insurance is pretty cheap in most places in the world. Supersports don't sell in large numbers in Europe, either. Aside from scooters (which are everywhere), the roads in Europe are filled with naked and adventure bikes.

Supersports got too optimized and focused on racetrack performance, to the extent that they're not good street bikes any more, and the performance available from modern litre bikes is basically irrelevant on the road (and I say that as an owner of two such bikes).

Having said that ... I love the so-called A2 motorcycle class (R3, Ninja 400, RC390, etc) and it has gotten a lot more popular. Big enough to be practical, and the legal limits put a container around what would otherwise be a horsepower or displacement war. The sport-oriented entries in that class haven't adopted the committed riding position that is part of why the supersports became such impractical street bikes. The R3 is a great street bike ... and I made one into my race bike.
Agreed, my son has an RC390 he rides to our cottage which is 3 hours away all the time, he’s even going to ride to Florida in the fall, lots of fuels stops though.

I've found the best combo to be a supersport and a supermoto. GSX-R 1000 and Husqvarna 701.

MT-09, MT-10 look like a lot of fun tho. If I had to choose one bike only, it would probably be one of those...or the Husky 701. Damn, the 701 is fun.

I think supermoto first killed supersport, then supernaked moved in for the final blow.

The guy formerly known as Mladin.

Other riders in the same group with the 1200GS had the same complaints except those were heavy, in addition. My laptop background is me on a rental S1000RR at Phillip Island knee puck on the ground. Same trip. That made it all worthwhile.
The 1200GS and it's weazy smaller models is the couch of ADV bikes. Saying you don't like ADV bikes because the 1200GS was soft, heavy, and underpowered is like saying you don't like naked bikes because you rode a Bandit and it was soft and not at all sporty so naked's are boring.
Like already stated, you like the S1000RR, so try the S1000XR.

Certainly there is a wide spectrum of choices. Clearly I demand better capability on pavement. All the glowing press reviews of the very same bike that I rented and disliked, read as though there isn't a paved road anywhere ...

Is it evolution? Is it insurance rates? Are Super Sports to fast for the street? We’re they always to fast for the street? Why is the MT09 better than an R6?
And will adventure bikes eventually take over everything ?

Are Adventure bikes dead yet, or is that still a thing ?
I thought they would have been gone by way of the Dodo by now.

I’m not sure why you would think they would be gone yet.
The can do so much.
No they have no purpose on an MX track but they are capable of light off-road.
No they are not a moto GP bike but are capable of spirited twisties.
No they are not a super luxury touring but you can log some pretty decent km.

Much like the naked is all the sport bike anyone needs on the street with more comfortable ergonomics.

Last edited:
Much as I was not sure why you think the naked sport bike has killed bikes that have fairings :unsure:

I’m not sure why you would think they would be gone yet.
The can do so much.
No they have no purpose on an MX track but they are capable of light off-road.
No they are not a moto GP bike but are capable of spirited twisties.
No they are not a super luxury touring but you can log some pretty decent km.

Much like the naked is all the sport bike anyone needs on the street with more comfortable ergonomics.

Have you ridden a motorcycle that has a well designed fairing?
It's not a useless feature, it's possibly the best thing you can put on a fast motorcycle. Wind is the enemy to a motorcycles high speed forward motion.

Much as I was not sure why you think the naked sport bike has killed bikes that have fairings :unsure:

It's not a useless feature, it's possibly the best thing you can put on a fast motorcycle. Wind is the enemy to a motorcycles high speed forward motion.
its practically useless for the street, which is what they sell them for.

ADV is a nice jack of all trades compromise, it does a bit of everything well.

All the cool kids are doing ADV.

That high speed you speak of has no place on public roads.
I have maintained a nice spirited pace between between 15 and 30 over on an all day 400km ride on a naked bike. Yes the little bit of experience I had on a 600cc SS ended after 45min because it was uncomfortable. But yes if I was going to ride over 140/ 150kph for any length of time I want full fairing. But I still don’t want clip ons.

its practically useless for the street, which is what they sell them for.
Maybe your fairings have all been useless. I would not buy a motorcycle to ride on highways that does not have a fairing. Figured that out the day after I had my M license.
Cars and trucks ahead shower you with gravel, good thing you had the fairing.
Wind turbulence, tuck in behind the frame mounted fairing, let the bike fight the wind instead of your arms and torso.
Naked bike; get hit with the stones, blown off the bike and soaked to the arse in minutes.

That high speed you speak of has no place on public roads.
Nonsense, I am talking about totally legal highway speeds and real life weather and road conditions. Full fairings on a motorcycle are as good as a windshield and bodywork on a convertible, try driving the 401 for an hour without your front windshield.

Back
Top Bottom