Has the Naked bike killed the Super Sport? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Has the Naked bike killed the Super Sport?

For example
Im planning a ride from Bowmanville going to travel Lakeshore road east to Port Hope (that road had a rough winter btw). through Port Hope taking some country roads up to rice lake where I will follow twisty roads along the lake and up into Hastings. At that point I will ride the railway bed trail to Campbellford. Back on the road and east to Stirling. Back on the trail north into Marmora mine. For a lunch break. Then my ride will take me through a series of country back roads winding my way through Havelock, Norwood, Youngs Point, Bridgenorth, Omemee, Bethany, Ponty Pool, and back home.
There will be twisties, there will be hwy, there will be dirt, there may be a little mud.
Speed limits may or may not be exceeded. I will pack my lunch and some snacks.
I will not hit up a track day event along the way. I won’t drag a knee, I‘m not likely to go over 150kph but won’t rule it out?. I won’t be airing the bike out or crossing a river like Chris Birch.
This is my kinda day and I definitely can’t think of a better bike to do this style of riding.
That’s why we have different motorcycles. If it’s not your interest great you don’t have to compromise and can by a specialty bike. Lets face it you don’t ride Shannonville road course on a trails bike and you don’t ride a SS on a dirt bike track. But if you tame down your dirt and tarmac there is a bike that does it all.
Compromise not smoke and mirrors or marketing

So this ride happened on Wednesday and I actually ended up with another member joining in on the fun and “adventure“ total ride ended up being 349km with about 70km(guess) being trails Although almost all of Lakeshore rd from Newcastle to Port Hope is being resurfaced at the moment. So that was a nice gravel warm up.
So we rode our smoke and mirror machines on gravel road, twisty roads, rural hwy and atv trails.
And today was clean up the mess day. Tomorrow I’m bound for Haliburton area. ?
she cleans up nicely

So this ride happened on Wednesday and I actually ended up with another member joining in on the fun and “adventure“ total ride ended up being 349km with about 70km(guess) being trails Although almost all of Lakeshore rd from Newcastle to Port Hope is being resurfaced at the moment. So that was a nice gravel warm up.
So we rode our smoke and mirror machines on gravel road, twisty roads, rural hwy and atv trails.
And today was clean up the mess day. Tomorrow I’m bound for Haliburton area. ?
she cleans up nicely
Hmm mine is still dirty.

I've had 5 SS bikes and the street ones all had double bubble screens (GSXR's btw which are arguably the most street-pleasant with larger fairings to get behind). Plod along the highway 120ish km/h my helmet would buffet the same as my naked bike. That screen was great in a tuck along the back straight at Mosport or Shanny but you're not in a tuck on the 401 if you want to actually be cognizant of your surroundings.
Keep trying to push the fairing argument all you want but you're trying to compare benefits of Goldwing fairings vs a naked when this discussion is really SS fairings.
Never heard "GSX-R" and "pleasant" in the same sentence :)

The difference is the punch in the chest buffeting....the supersport has enough wind protection to stop it.

The guy formerly known as Mladin.

Just cuz it's called "super sport" doesn't mean it is a "super sport"
Dodge made a "sport" front wheel drive minivan

AFIK the first bike called/marketed as a "naked" was a Honda RC31 Hawk, followed by the Ducati monsters.
The first bikes marketed as nakeds were your friends trying to do a stoppy or an endo and failed. The manufacturers went from there...

The guy formerly known as Mladin.

That is how I thought they evolved.
From the street fighter stunt crowd.
Busted fairing just remove it, dirt bike bars better for wheelies.
But now they’ve evolved into a more ergonomic sport bike.
Pretty good low end grunt
light nimble handling
better all day ergonomics
The down side is little to no wind protection at speeds.
I think they are the superior street sport bike.

My ride tomorrow to look at two jobs up in cottage country will take me 409km.
I would do this ride on an MT09 I definitely would not do it on an R6.
Personally and bias I believe my 1190 will be even better with a bit better wind protection and better seat than the MT09 with all the power and handling I will require.

Personally and bias I believe my 1190 will be even better with a bit better wind protection and better seat than the MT09 with all the power and handling I will require.
definitely, but the amount of smiles is debatable :D

definitely, but the amount of smiles is debatable :D

I see in your sig you FZ09 is no longer. What is your current ride?
My friend that owns the MT09 that I ride was shock once I finally got him on my bike. He had the attitude that it was a big heavy bike that does nothing well.
He does still prefer his bike to mine, but he doesn’t ride more than 100km per day.
I have spent time on the MT09 and yes you are correct it is more fun than mine for about 2hrs then the constant feeling of being a kite comes into play for me.
The seat is also a little hard and it has the Yamaha comfort seat.

I see in your sig you FZ09 is no longer. What is your current ride?
My friend that owns the MT09 that I ride was shock once I finally got him on my bike. He had the attitude that it was a big heavy bike that does nothing well.
He does still prefer his bike to mine, but he doesn’t ride more than 100km per day.
I have spent time on the MT09 and yes you are correct it is more fun than mine for about 2hrs then the constant feeling of being a kite comes into play for me.
The seat is also a little hard and it has the Yamaha comfort seat.

Power wheelies on demand on 1st through 3rd never gets old!

i'm blessed with a nice amount of natural cushion :D never found it an issue. although i did meet someone who rode his FZ09 from Toronto to Calgary, nuts.

Anywho, i have a very modified Grom but i'm not riding much these days..busy busy. Opted to go for a cheap ride after my FZ09 was taken from me as i was on the verge of proposing and paying for the wedding which is now delayed to next summer (we had it booked for July 24th, 2020).

Honestly whatever i get next will have to be 'big and comfortable' as i plan on doing some cross continental treks on top of the occasional commute..i think the daily 'get on a bike and just ride' is out of my system. The drivers and road conditions are just an accident waiting to happen...as i already experienced.

Short list is the new AT DCT or maybe even an Indian Challenger..but i have lower back issues so i'll need some seat time on one to decide.

Power wheelies on demand on 1st through 3rd never gets old!

Short list is the new AT DCT or maybe even an Indian Challenger..but i have lower back issues so i'll need some seat time on one to decide.

oof 25k+

used for sure, but yes likely 25kish. Hey man, i'm part of the DINK club, no excuses not to have toys lol.

i've been waffling on upgrading the car too. decided i'll just splurge on a bike and drive what i have into the ground. spent $150 (front brakes and rotors) + regular oil changes in 6 years of ownership, can't complain.

used for sure, but yes likely 25kish. Hey man, i'm part of the DINK club, no excuses not to have toys lol.

i've been waffling on upgrading the car too. decided i'll just splurge on a bike and drive what i have into the ground. spent $150 (front brakes and rotors) + regular oil changes in 6 years of ownership, can't complain.

Oh to be a DINK lol

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I was chatting to the fellow who laced the wheels for my commando a few months back. I was saying that I'd always wanted one of these and was looking forward to riding it. In passing I said that it would be a nice Sunday morning or after dinner bike, but for actual destination rides or longer trips I'd take my 1090 KTM.

He chuckled and reminded me that "we" used to use these bikes as everyday destination rides. Long rides without fairings, daily commutes to work and club racing on the weekends perhaps. The difference was that as an owner you needed to do regular maintenance, and of course accept a level of discomfort sometimes.

Now many of us have multiple bikes that we believe we use for different purposes. Touring vs. cruising vs. "spirited" or sport riding.

Back
Top Bottom