Has the Naked bike killed the Super Sport? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Has the Naked bike killed the Super Sport?

Maybe your fairings have all been useless. I would not buy a motorcycle to ride on highways that does not have a fairing. Figured that out the day after I had my M license.
Cars and trucks ahead shower you with gravel, good thing you had the fairing.
Wind turbulence, tuck in behind the frame mounted fairing, let the bike fight the wind instead of your arms and torso.
Naked bike; get hit with the stones, blown off the bike and soaked to the arse in minutes.
Your 'wants' have nothing to do with their intended use, i.e. They are not for highway speeds or travel.

If you`re getting hit by debris from cars in front, that's on you. Again, not their intended use.

Think you need to bulk up or learn how to ride if you`re having wind issues at 100km/hr. I didn't find buffeting uncomfortable until you go 140+ again, not its intended use so i accept it.

@bigpoppa feel free to chime in with your experiences.

Last edited:
Having recently bought a super naked, wanted to share my experience.

I was all set to buy a 600cc SS as my first bike in Canada. Having riden motorcycles for more than 15 years and coming off a KTM Duke it felt like the right time to move to a SS. All this was of course before I had called around insurance companies. Being a 'new rider' for them I am sure y'all know what insurance quotes I must've got.

That led me to look over to the naked bikes category, only condition was it has to be an in-line 4. Test rode Suzuki GSX-S 750, Street triple RS and the S1000R. Street triple kept coming up as a winner from MSRP to fun ratio of point of view. And then I called the insurance companies, was surprised to see the Striple was slightly more expensive than the S1000R and needless to say both were substantially cheaper than all SS quotes. Combine that with following your heart over mind sorta thing and there you go...I ended up with the Beemer.

I've never ridden on a track and in immediate sense don't really intend to, rather on top of my list is riding across all great roads in Ontario and north east US. Too soon to absolutely conclude, but something tells me I am going to be sticking to upright riding for a very very long time, if not rest of my riding life!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Hang on, I'm only on a cup and half of caffeine today. Are we playing wanting to have wind protection on a bike as a sign of weakness? Is that what's happening

Having recently bought a super naked, wanted to share my experience.

I was all set to buy a 600cc SS as my first bike in Canada. Having riden motorcycles for more than 15 years and coming off a KTM Duke it felt like the right time to move to a SS. All this was of course before I had called around insurance companies. Being a 'new rider' for them I am sure y'all know what insurance quotes I must've got.

That led me to look over to the naked bikes category, only condition was it has to be an in-line 4. Test rode Suzuki GSX-S 750, Street triple RS and the S1000R. Street triple kept coming up as a winner from MSRP to fun ratio of point of view. And then I called the insurance companies, was surprised to see the Striple was slightly more expensive than the S1000R and needless to say both were substantially cheaper than all SS quotes. Combine that with following your heart over mind sorta thing and there you go...I ended up with the Beemer.

I've never ridden on a track and in immediate sense don't really intend to, rather on top of my list is riding across all great roads in Ontario and north east US. Too soon to absolutely conclude, but something tells me I am going to be sticking to upright riding for a very very long time, if not rest of my riding life!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Be sure to buy an SOS device so we can send search and rescue if you don't make it back after an hr on the 401 without a windshield. ?

Also had a Naked bike before (uprigh position), for long distance it was a little fatiguing, for commuting and local areas perfect. The CBX now with windshield/fairings is more comfortable, though I do get a lot of helmet buffeting, checking blind spots on the hwy is easier and not as tiring. The part I like best is no bugs on the helmet on trips, all on the windshield, and my legs don't cramp up from the constant cold wind. Though I'm always cold, even on 25c days, 30-35c is my comfort zone lol ?

I've never ridden an SS bike, or a full faired sport bike, so cannot comment on that. Regardless of fairings on those, just the ergonomics and riding position would get tiring for me personally. All of that said, not unbearable on a naked, just tiring. For commuting and just staying in the area, and If I could afford 2 bikes, I'd get a naked hands down, like a Ducati scrambler or supermoto.

did it, still here.

next?
In a convertible? wtf were you in a Willy's jeep :LOL:
You guys are such motorcycle virgins.

"If you`re getting hit by debris from cars in front," You never been hit by stones thrown up by oncoming traffic? You don't ride much.

In a convertible? wtf were you in a Willy's jeep :LOL:
You guys are such motorcycle virgins.

"If you`re getting hit by debris from cars in front," You never been hit by stones thrown up by oncoming traffic? You don't ride much.
I don't travel behind vehicles if I can help it, I pass them. But I enjoyed your assumption.

Edit: oh oncoming traffic? Over the barrier and across multiple lanes? Wtf no.

I agree

getting off the pavement doesn't have to mean aggressive riding
and with a 700 lb ADV/250 lb rider it can end badly

rOkzw6r.jpg
Looks expensive...

For me the fairing is not the ”problem with a super sport it’s the ergonomics.
They call the Tuono a naked yet it has most of the fairing still in tact.
I do get the complaining about wind on bikes such as the MT09 it does get tiring.
I can handle the wind over a torture rack if it’s going to be any time in the saddle.
Though yet again the Adv class bikes have it all again.

I secretly day dream about getting old and riding goldwings and V stroms
I'm living your dream.
Or not good enough at anything, depending upon your perspective ...
I used to think that too - middle of the road compromise. Till I got one.

I like to think of them as 2nd place in almost every other category which is pretty good considering bikes in most categories are more specific and don't cross categories well.

I have found ADVs are:
  • comfortable for distance riding, both highway and dirt
  • easy to handle for urban riding
  • pack well for touring (bonus is the availability/variety of inexpensive kit)
  • tough enough for logging roads and some trails
  • good on fuel, most have sport tourer range

• They won't beat a sportbike on the track or through a canyon -- but they will outrun cruisers and dual sports, stay with most standards
  • They won't beat a dual sport on a single track - but they will everywhere else and they'll outgo cruisers, STs, SS and standards
  • They won't best a CB300 for running around downtown -- but they are easier to ride than cruisers, STs, and SS in a 60kmh city.
  • They won't out comfort a cruiser or ST on a long journey -- but they will be close and they will best any SS, standard, or dual sport.

I used to reach for the keys to my little Ninja for the city, my FJR for touring, and my GSXR for romps. When I got the ADV I found myself using if for everything. I sold the Ninja and GSXR and Goldwing and don't really miss them (I miss the Busa a bit).

For example
Im planning a ride from Bowmanville going to travel Lakeshore road east to Port Hope (that road had a rough winter btw). through Port Hope taking some country roads up to rice lake where I will follow twisty roads along the lake and up into Hastings. At that point I will ride the railway bed trail to Campbellford. Back on the road and east to Stirling. Back on the trail north into Marmora mine. For a lunch break. Then my ride will take me through a series of country back roads winding my way through Havelock, Norwood, Youngs Point, Bridgenorth, Omemee, Bethany, Ponty Pool, and back home.
There will be twisties, there will be hwy, there will be dirt, there may be a little mud.
Speed limits may or may not be exceeded. I will pack my lunch and some snacks.
I will not hit up a track day event along the way. I won’t drag a knee, I‘m not likely to go over 150kph but won’t rule it out?. I won’t be airing the bike out or crossing a river like Chris Birch.
This is my kinda day and I definitely can’t think of a better bike to do this style of riding.
That’s why we have different motorcycles. If it’s not your interest great you don’t have to compromise and can by a specialty bike. Lets face it you don’t ride Shannonville road course on a trails bike and you don’t ride a SS on a dirt bike track. But if you tame down your dirt and tarmac there is a bike that does it all.
Compromise not smoke and mirrors or marketing

I feel its all subjective @Evoex
The only touring I've done was on the cbr500, and even though it had a fairing and a fixed windscreen, extended highway runs meant the wind would still beat me up(maybe it was because this was early/late in the season and I didnt have heated anything)

for example, frekey can do 6-8 hour rides on 600 super sports and has all day comfort on a liter bike o_O
My joints and bones started hurting after 20 mins on an SV650S

He is also average sized, im 6'2 250

Go ride a motorcycle that has a full fairing designed in a wind tunnel, then get back to us.

A full fairing that actually makes the bike and rider more wind slippery allows the builder to gear the bike taller, that ultimately results in a motorcycle that can potentially enjoy lower fuel consumption and produce less pollution in addition to speed advantage and rider protection from the elements.

Back
Top Bottom