Hanging up the helmet for a couple years | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hanging up the helmet for a couple years

There are no guarantees on investments that yield this rate of return. There are a few blue chip stocks (banks, Energy distribution) that kick off around 4% dividend, some other pref dividend like BBD.PR.C that are paying 6.25%. Mine are all in DRIP, most have had a nice ride up with the market thois year too.

I guess "interest" means something different to you. *shrug*

Whats SIP?
Does Your SIP DRIP? Using Systematic Investment/Dividend Reinvestment Plans

What Is a Systematic Investment Plan (SIP)?
A systematic investment plan (SIP) is a plan where investors make regular, equal payments into a mutual fund, trading account, or retirement account such as a 401(k). SIPs allow investors to save regularly with a smaller amount of money while benefiting from the long-term advantages of dollar-cost averaging (DCA). By using a DCA strategy, an investor buys an investment using periodic equal transfers of funds to build wealth or a portfolio over time slowly.

The long game.

****** people will always be ******. Can't let it ruin your life. We don't not ride because it's dangerous or not go outside because we might get shot randomly.

Get dat bike.

Sucky situation. I would buy an older 250cc (or something) at least it keeps you riding or at least to park it. Then put basic insurance on it. No need to become a "new" rider for the insurance scam industry. May not be like your last bike but at least you have options then hanging it up and starting again. Best of luck hopefully it works out!

Ninja 500 is a great option ugly as sin made until fairly recently and somewhat capable. No one is stealing ninja 500s

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Ninja 500 is tame as hell though (and that's coming from the owner of a 72hp FJ600 :LOL:).

There are plenty of fast older bikes but you gotta love to wrench.

I appreciate everyone's view on this topic. But for me, I love the thrill of being on 2 wheels with power. Started riding 4 years ago on a 300cc and loved it, but once I felt the true power of what a bike can push, that's what really gives me a thrill and makes it that much more worth it. Done roughly 60,000km in the last 4 years, this year not being so much due to electrical issues that needed to be sorted out. I don't necessarily need another SS, but a super naked (FZ09, Z900, Z1000) would be great. Ya, a little bike that no one wants to steal would get the bug out of my system, but it wouldn't necessarily be a satisfying thrilling sensation.
Insurance can suck on a big one for the whole "insurance gap" BS, such a scam isn't it? Worse case I'd have my M license in a couple years and would still have the "3 year no gap" that I have now, so I wouldn't be paying any more than I am now, I'd just be paying more than I would have if I were to keep riding.
I have the option of storing it a 2 friends houses, but I like to be able to gear up, grab my helmet and ride when I want to.
Another passion of mine is drums. I have a 14 piece drum kit still sitting in my parents basement worth well over what my bike was that NEVER get touched. Those, I won't sell because one day I will move into a house and be able to play again. I might take the $4500 I got from insurance and drop it into a nice set of electric Roland V skin drum kit so I can play in my building.
Now I'm just all over the place LOL!
Ask yourself what you would do if someone stole your girlfriend. Would you park your junk for a few years or go find another girlfriend?

buy a new girlfriend :LOL: I mean bike

... been trying to think of one that would be safe from thieves and the only one I could think of is an OPP bike with full markings and hardware.

I appreciate everyone's view on this topic. But for me, I love the thrill of being on 2 wheels with power. *snip* bike that no one wants to steal would get the bug out of my system, but it wouldn't necessarily be a satisfying thrilling sensation.
Simple solution. Buy a cheap bike for $1500. Take the rest of the insurance money and buy a track bike.
It's amazing how much of a thrill that is. Any monkey can twist a throttle and go fast. It takes skill to actually be fast. So many people think they're fast, but in reality they have fast bikes, and no real skill.

Simple solution. Buy a cheap bike for $1500. Take the rest of the insurance money and buy a track bike.
It's amazing how much of a thrill that is. Any monkey can twist a throttle and go fast. It takes skill to actually be fast. So many people think they're fast, but in reality they have fast bikes, and no real skill.
What's a typical 'starter' track bike? How much would one expect it to cost?

4kish?

SV650, 600 SS. Can also start on the 300cc ones, hell there are people that track Groms.

People don't race because they are intimidated.
Then if they do try it they realize, hey, I'm not so bad after all ?
Then you actually get a little bit good at it, then you are addicted.
That's how it usually works anyway.

They'll start at anywhere around $1500 for one that's older and beat up. Should be able to get a somewhat decent one for under $2750.
Just did a quick Kijiji Search - SV650 for $1800, GSXr600 for $2300, older R1 for $2250....

Hey Everyone,
This really isn't my choice, but I don't have any other option at the moment. I'm gonna be hanging up the helmet for a couple years. ZX6R got stolen from underground parking 2 weeks ago (made a post about it) and I don't feel comfortable having a bike down there again. I've been pondering back and fourth in my head what I should do, but I know whenever the bike is down there, I will always have that thought in the back of my head that it's gonna be gone when I wake up in the morning again.
It really is quite a shame as I pack on 15,000km+ a year and it is a passion of mine. Haven't been on 2 wheels in 3 weeks now and it feels like something in my life is just missing.
Wife and I have been renting for a couple years and currently pay a lot lower than the average place due to being there for 3+ years (rent has sky rocketed in the last few years also). Any other place we look at is roughly $700-$800 more a month. Did the math and if we truck it out for a couple more years it'd be roughly $10k a year we can save vs is we were to move. It's a shame that some thief literally ruined something for me that I loved. It was an escape, a way for me to meet new people, have fun with friends on 2, let loose etc. Also is going to suck how I will only have "3 consecutive years" insurance as I am going to cancel my policy. M2 expires in 2 years, but a bunch of my friends said they'd let me use their bike for the test, so that's not an issue.
Has anyone else been in this situation? And if so, how did you handle it?

I am on the same boat as you, my GSX-R600 was stolen in August. Just take the hit for a few years and come back when you know you can safely store the bike and are more financially ready to invest in cameras, gps, locks, etc. You live in a condo, and if you left a new bike there and it got stolen again you would seriously blame yourself for that. You're still young, you got plenty of time to get back to riding.

They'll start at anywhere around $1500 for one that's older and beat up. Should be able to get a somewhat decent one for under $2750.
Just did a quick Kijiji Search - SV650 for $1800, GSXr600 for $2300, older R1 for $2250....
You need to be a little more careful what race class the bike is going to put you in.
If mimico-polak is going to race an R1 to start (y) I want to buy tickets to see that race.

I am on the same boat as you, my GSX-R600 was stolen in August. Just take the hit for a few years and come back when you know you can safely store the bike and are more financially ready to invest in cameras, gps, locks, etc. You live in a condo, and if you left a new bike there and it got stolen again you would seriously blame yourself for that. You're still young, you got plenty of time to get back to riding.
Ya I think that's what I am going to plan on doing. I really don't wanna downgrade for this particular reason, it's bullschit.
This has really grabbed my attention and he said he'd go lower if I take it off his hands on the weekend. This is torture!! LOL
2015 gsxr 600 mint condition $6000 Firm | Sport Bikes | Barrie | Kijiji
With having said that, this bike is newer and lower km than the zx6r, which is something that'd grab a thieves attention even more :rolleyes:

Ya I think that's what I am going to plan on doing. I really don't wanna downgrade for this particular reason, it's bullschit.
This has really grabbed my attention and he said he'd go lower if I take it off his hands on the weekend. This is torture!! LOL
With having said that, this bike is newer and lower km than the zx6r, which is something that'd grab a thieves attention even more :rolleyes:
Try keeping a lower profile online.

I also park in a condo. I bought basement parking for ours and I squish it between my car and a wall.

You could try rotor locks as well. My car dashcam has parking monitor and faces my bike.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Please keep in mind, they love to come back and hit you twice. They know you'll likely replace it.

Back
Top Bottom