Had it with Bell. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Had it with Bell.

f1mauro

Site Supporter
I've been meaning to get rid of my Bell phone and internet just never have time to shop around. Tired of giving my money to these guys and receiving basic services for inflated rates. Can anyone recommend a decent provider.

I've been looking at tech savvy and they seem pretty decent and offer quite a competitive package. That other Tie Domi one just makes me uneasy.

Don't really know why I'm paying Bell for a basic home phone line $40/month when digital phone is so much less and includes long distance. Not to mention I already carry around a cellphone.... and that embarrassingly low 25G internet usage cutoff is a joke for $60/month . The only redeeming quality is that they're pretty reliable.

Are these isp companies worth my while or just snake oil? I know they'll never match the big corporations services when there's a technical issue. Please, any tips, experiences or horror stories, feel free to chime in.

Seeing as how all the other ISPs rent lines from bell or Rogers the speed and reliability for most part is on par or better with them.

I've had teksavvy for Internet both as DSL and cable provider for 4 years and I really can't complain. I think the service was down twice in that time line for less than 24hrs.

25gb limit for 60 bucks is atrocious. I have 300gb for 45/5 plan and I pay $54.

I've been meaning to get rid of my Bell phone and internet just never have time to shop around. Tired of giving my money to these guys and receiving basic services for inflated rates. Can anyone recommend a decent provider.

I've been looking at tech savvy and they seem pretty decent and offer quite a competitive package. That other Tie Domi one just makes me uneasy.

Don't really know why I'm paying Bell for a basic home phone line $40/month when digital phone is so much less and includes long distance. Not to mention I already carry around a cellphone.... and that embarrassingly low 25G internet usage cutoff is a joke for $60/month . The only redeeming quality is that they're pretty reliable.

Are these isp companies worth my while or just snake oil? I know they'll never match the big corporations services when there's a technical issue. Please, any tips, experiences or horror stories, feel free to chime in.

Teksavvy for internet.
Magic Jack for phone.

Haven't regret any of my decision. Dependable service & super great price. My bill is always the same

AFAIK Velcom offers the best pricing on VDSL plans because they're not charging dry loop fees. They've been pretty reliable - can think of only 1 outage in 3 years.

When I signed up for Teksavvy for phone service Bell called me and offered to reduce my phone charge to $14 a month for the next year. I told them to take a flying leap, I just wanted them out of my life.

When I signed up for Teksavvy for phone service Bell called me and offered to reduce my phone charge to $14 a month for the next year. I told them to take a flying leap, I just wanted them out of my life.

Yeh, when I put my Internet with Teksavvy, they keep sending me cards about how sorry they are to see me go. They keep offering me discounts but I can't be bothered about getting ripped off along the road

If they're so willing to send discounts and special offers AFTER the fact, they're just acknowledging the fact that they've been pounding salt up ourass all these years.

Bell and Rogers always offer majestic deals when they realize you're about to cancel your plan.

I have 3 business cell phones on a plan, and when we were working in Niagara we kept getting dinged with massive US roaming charges which I didn't notice until 2 months and $700+ later. Called support, talked to the MORON for 15 minutes and he wouldn't do anything about it, saying "thats how the technology works". I kept telling him I don't care about their technology, Im a Canadian customer who never left Canada, I shouldn't have to pay for US roaming.

Finally had enough and asked him to tell me how much my contracts are worth.. he said something like $1200, and I asked where to send the cheque. The guy changed his tone entirely and put me through to customer retention. Needless to say, the roaming charges were wiped clear and they gave another deep discount for the following year.

If you can be bothered, call and threaten to cancel (just be ready to see it through) every year.

Yeh, when I put my Internet with Teksavvy, they keep sending me cards about how sorry they are to see me go. They keep offering me discounts but I can't be bothered about getting ripped off along the road

Did you cancel your Bell account or does T/savvy do the dirty work for you? I just can't waste an hour on the phone listening to them tell me why I shouldn't be cancelling and such...

Did you cancel your Bell account or does T/savvy do the dirty work for you? I just can't waste an hour on the phone listening to them tell me why I shouldn't be cancelling and such...

Cancel your own account.

I got Teksavvy Cable internet, and when I cancelled my Rogers TV the moron technicians came out and also disconnected the internet. I worked the box open myself and reconnected it. Bell may do something similar to you.

Cogeco bundled with my internet and tv. Been using them for years and never had a Cogeco outage. Reliable and fast.

For phone, been using Vonage. Only $20 a month, Inc's all the features like call display, call waiting, etc. It emails you when somebody leaves a Msg, and free long distance in North America.

So far so good with everything as is. No complaints.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

When your contract is almost up let them know a month ahead that you want to leave. This is with Rogers of course. They will try to pressure you & ask several reasons & all that ****. I end up exploding at the girl on the other end. Then return your stuff, not sure about bell, but I'm letting you know for Rogers, might be similar.

With Teksavvy it was so painless. Sign up on their website, they ship your modem. Just plug in your modem when your activation date has reached, then you're good to go. They even gave me a courtesy call to make sure everything was ok.

Their customer service is really good. If you can't check your usage they just give you unlimited. I had unlimited for 3mths even though I had the basic pkg. I've had one or 2 maintenance shutdowns & that's 2am. They send an email in advance also. I love Teksavvy, very professional people. The billing is simple too, not like Rogers with hidden f'ed up fees.

If you need a modem get one off Kijiji. Might be cheaper. They give you a list of compatible modems

I'm with teksavvy for many years now. I'm 25/2 on a 300GB plan. Upload never counts to your usage and downloads/uploads don't count between 2am and 8am I think. As such I have never come close to my cap. They also just introduced somthing where if you are willing to take a speed reduction during prime time you get an unlimited cap.

When every I have an issue I post in the direct forums on DSLResports and either one of the owners or a sr. tech helps me out.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavvy

Last edited:
I'm currently on a cogeco 120/10 plan which includes 425GB a month. No contract about $100/m. Home phone is magic jack which is great for about $30/year for unlimited Canada/Usa.

Tv is torrents, netflix, etc.

Wow. Some great advice here....Thanks all. I might give Tech savvy a go.

I'm with teksavvy they are pretty good. I'm thinking of vmedia or something else cheaper. I need to get faster interwebz for business.

Have a look at Start.ca too. Solid service from them.

Another reputable choice... Well liked among the nerd community :cool:

I was with Bhell Hell. They are the amongst the biggest bunch of liars and thieves ever. I would sooner poke my eyes out. Overcharged, spent hours on the phone trying to get them to correct their overcharging. Never ever had satisfaction.
Use "ooma" for the phone and believe it or not, Rogers. All is good.

Back
Top Bottom