Group Ride Ignores ‘Groups of 5+’ and ‘Physical Distancing’ | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Group Ride Ignores ‘Groups of 5+’ and ‘Physical Distancing’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do share your thoughts.

in a time where workplaces are opening again (including construction sites full of people) that pose a MUCH bigger risk than motorcycling, I am sick of these holier than thou “STAY AT HOME” retards that are trying to say you shouldn’t be riding at all. It’s become laughable. Let’s think about how riding is a risk. Oh wait it’s not.

Saw your edit. I was absolutely not there.

in a time where workplaces are opening again (including construction sites full of people) that pose a MUCH bigger risk than motorcycling, I am sick of these holier than thou “STAY AT HOME” retards that are trying to say you shouldn’t be riding at all. It’s become laughable. Let’s think about how riding is a risk. Oh wait it’s not.

Saw your edit. I was absolutely not there.
Define retard for us will ya.

in a time where workplaces are opening again (including construction sites full of people) that pose a MUCH bigger risk than motorcycling, I am sick of these holier than thou “STAY AT HOME” retards that are trying to say you shouldn’t be riding at all. It’s become laughable.

Saa your edit. I was absolutely not there.

When did I say stay at home? When did I say nobody should be riding?
I have issue with people violating physical distancing and with large groups.
You wanna ride? Do it. Hell, go riding with a few buddies! But watch your group size and respect the physical distancing rules.

I am sick of these holier than thou “STAY AT HOME” retards that are trying to say you shouldn’t be riding at all

I think you should re-read some of the responses.

Many of us think riding is perfectly fine right now, done with correct social distancing, reducing (or when possible, eliminating) any need to interact with people at destinations, and lastly, within the current restrictions so far as public gathering sizes. I'm in that camp. I've been riding the wheels off my bike this year already..but I've been doing so super responsibly and have NOT been group riding with all my buddies.

But one only need look at the photos that came out of this ride to see that any semblance of following pretty much ANY of the public health guidelines and laws in place right now were summarily dismissed.

BTW, construction sites are making far more efforts to maintain social distancing and provide PPE than 90% of the people in any of those photos, so stop it with the red herring arguments.

I am pretty if i was in my 20's i too would be participating in a group ride like this, some of you old farts(same age group as me) seem to forget that.

Fountain of youth.

Message to the youn un's, large group rides sux. Pick a couple of good friends and go riding, quality and quantity of riding is much better.

Define retard for us will ya.

Please recognize I was not talking about you... not sure how you got that. there is a lot of sentiment in the riding circles on Facebook that people should not be out riding period because it isn’t “essential travel”. Tired of it. The reality is there are many more risky activities taking place, including an example I already gave.

6c5a64b3433515d776a3778df2fbc0e0.jpg

Riding with friends can be a lot of fun. Just because you've never had that experience apparently doesn't mean it isn't.

I respect those who like to ride solo, but I take issue with trying to belittle others who DO enjoy riding with some friends to enjoy the experience - some of my best memories of riding are with a bunch of buddies sitting by our bikes at a motel or in a campsite laughing over some cold beers after a long day of riding. Or just sitting having lunch together during a day ride.

But this is not the time for that sort of thing and the sensible amongst us realize that. My biggest "Group ride" this year was with 2 other buddies out to Port Hope and back (hardly a big deal) and we went out of our way to social distance and avoid civilization. 90% (probably over 2000km now) of my riding this season so far has been with one single other friend and we've taken a ton of precautions to not end up "patient zero" at point B.

Yes your right, my apologies, I wasn't trying to belittle anyone. For some trips I would love to have a like-minded rider, esp for long distance off-raod rides, however never found anyone to be comfortable with. I do go to the Motosocial season opener and the end, it's great to meet people, see their rides, styles, ideas, and I've made friends this way. Though after the night, we just end up riding our own ways going home and the peace is nice, I still respect those who ride with others, other types of bikes, road, off-road, etc... I was just implying, the reason and timing of these group rides in the thread, is just a wrong place at the wrong time, for the wrong reason, and I hope it doesn't lead to cops targeting riders even more.

Lunch on my ride today, with my 1 buddy, was in an empty gravel pull off by a river. Saw 3 other people (local residents out for a walk) the whole time we were stopped there and we gave them a wide berth, as did they for us. All cool. Enjoyed our ride.

Rushing to ANY place where I know there's going to be a million other bikes right now would be the last thing on my mind, much less participating in a group ride like this with a bunch of strangers amid a pandemic. Heck, I don't even want to go to a Timmies parking lot right now as every one I've passed recently is full of bikes.

I don't doubt slightly bigger group rides will be possible this year when things are loosened up a little, but even then....with strangers? **** no.

A HARD **** no.

Not this year.

I'll keep it to my circle of existing known and regular riding buddies, thanks - we're all responsible (which is why we're not doing anything organized right now) and if one of us is sick I know they'll do the right thing and sit out...not show up at a group event and risk everyone else because "that cough is probably just my allergies and I don't want to miss the ride!" or whatever.

The circle of friends will be small this year, and I'm OK with that.

Lunch on my ride today, with my 1 buddy, was in an empty gravel pull off by a river. Saw 3 other people (local residents out for a walk) the whole time we were stopped there and we gave them a wide berth, as did they for us. All cool. Enjoyed our ride.

Rushing to ANY place where I know there's going to be a million other bikes right now would be the last thing on my mind, much less participating in a group ride like this with a bunch of strangers amid a pandemic. Heck, I don't even want to go to a Timmies parking lot right now as every one I've passed recently is full of bikes.

I don't doubt slightly bigger group rides will be possible this year when things are loosened up a little, but even then....with strangers? **** no.

A HARD **** no.

Not this year.

I'll keep it to my circle of existing known and regular riding buddies, thanks - we're all responsible (which is why we're not doing anything organized right now) and if one of us is sick I know they'll do the right thing and sit out...not show up at a group event and risk everyone else because "that cough is probably just my allergies and I don't want to miss the ride!" or whatever.

The circle of friends will be small this year, and I'm OK with that.

You do realize you can have the virus but not show any symptoms. So the "if one of us is sick" is BS. Unless you are riding with your nuclear family, you are no better than the big group riders you are complaining about.

This was not a ride to support anything. This was a group of street riders, riding aggressively and stunt riding.
If you weren't there you cannot say that they were riding aggressively and stunt riding. For all you know they obeyed the speed limit, followed all rules of the road and had a nice cruise paced ride. You just sound to me like someone who's a little too upset over people having a good time on their bikes. Maybe you should go out for a ride and de stress.

You do realize you can have the virus but not show any symptoms. So the "if one of us is sick" is BS. Unless you are riding with your nuclear family, you are no better than the big group riders you are complaining about.

You do realize that an asymptomatic (or even symptomatic, if you want to get technical) Covid+ person can be around others and not spread anything whatsoever by simply following that whole social distancing thing, right?

That's 1000000% what social distancing is all about.

So, uh, respectfully, I disagree.

However, I'll say it again. Look at those pictures. Social distancing wasn't top of mind.

The author of the IG post is deleting any non supportive responses FWIW. Nice way to make it look like public support was universally positive I guess....

If you weren't there you cannot say that they were riding aggressively and stunt riding. For all you know they obeyed the speed limit, followed all rules of the road and had a nice cruise paced ride. You just sound to me like someone who's a little too upset over people having a good time on their bikes. Maybe you should go out for a ride and de stress.

IMG_4508.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

That picture was taken on the ride. So yes, stunt riding while also riding in a group.
The comment in the second picture was posted in response to the ride. I’m sure I don’t need to explain what he meant by that.

So ya, what was it you were saying about them being perfect bikers? You sound like someone who was on the ride and is trying to minimize how bad it was. Maybe you need to go take a rider training course and learn how to ride responsibly.

*mic drop

Was a good ride, sucks that we got rained out on way back, hands and butt were frozen! Nowhere near the claimed 40+ people thankfully. Yea, it was a big group and I'm not a fan of that but once in a while it's alright. But we all kept together and I thought it was well run, no issues at all. Everyone riding safely and enjoying some weekend fresh air.

As far as the distancing thing goes, I'm not your babysitter. If you don't want to distance yourself in a parking lot, that's your freedom to choose. I also didn't really appreciate the comments thrown against our trackday organization especially after the hours and hours of work I've poured into it to make it what it is and we've received nothing but positive feedback. That user has a history of harassment so his comments against us don't carry much weight.

I find the "support frontline workers" ride pretty ironic as well. If you wanna ride, whatever, say you're riding. Don't give a false pretext to try to justify it. Our ride was in support of no one. Just to get some air :)

Anyways, like I said I don't really want to get wrapped up in this anymore that I already have. Enjoy your weekend all. As for the officers that were present at our meet spot, they told us to be safe and enjoy our ride. And that we did.

I find the "support frontline workers" ride pretty ironic as well. If you wanna ride, whatever, say you're riding. Don't give a false pretext to try to justify it. Our ride was in support of no one. Just to get some air :)

Whatever makes them feel better I guess. Self righteous comes to mind.

Whatever makes them feel better I guess. Self righteous comes to mind.
Easier pill to swallow when you know you're doing something you shouldn't be...if we can justify our actions to ourselves, we can all sleep better at night.

"I want to go for a ride with a big group, but I'm not supposed to...but I want to support the front line workers that are doing so much...I know...let's ride for THEM...Yup...great reason!"

I personally wouldn't be going on any rides like that at all simply because I've been to a few and anything over 5 people to me becomes a mess. Let's not forget a big chunk of the population doesn't think it'll happen to them, or they're not at risk of crashing...I mean COVID. Oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom