Getting a job far from GTA or ON when you live in Toronto | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting a job far from GTA or ON when you live in Toronto

@nobbie48, I'll take you sailing next yr on a 30ft, no talent required.

Get a list of towns you'd like to be in and go visit. Both my kids moved to Alberta for jobs when Ont. just didn't have what they wanted, its been good for both of them, but its hard being 3000kms from family (or maybe not...)
Good thing is you're a flight away. But it does suck being far away from your loved ones, with only a short amount of time to spend together a few times a year. Except 2020....most long distance families won't see each other too often.

Friends moved to New Zealand a few years back because the job she wanted was one of 3 places in the world...Saskatchewan...Switzerland...or New Zealand. They love it, but it's been super hard. Haven't seen their parents in years, everyone always promises to visit 'next year'. Unfortunately buddy's mom passed away and the last time he saw her was 2-3 years ago, and now his FB updates are from each airport he's laying over in on the way to the funeral.

In all honesty I wouldn't bring up the side hustles during interviews. While they may be impressed, it also shows that you're doing your own thing (which is great) but while you build your business you're using their funds to keep afloat. Once you get traction, you'll just leave and get out of the company.

Not saying you shouldn't, but if I was interviewing you and was being told about your side hustle...I'd be curious where your loyalties will lie in the end, and whether you'll give 100% of your time/attention to my work instead of using that time to build your own thing.
I agree, I deal with a lot of new hires and side hustles are a red flag. Entrepreneurism is somewhat addictive and the HR crowd knows a lot of people with that gene treat full time jobs as a bridge back to self employment.

Based on your postings I suspect you have that gene, you are an individual contributor and not that experienced in leading people or managing things with a lot of moving parts.

The first step to planning a career or a move is to pick something you really want to do, as opposed to tossing a wide net and looking for anything you can do. Once you narrow that down, identify any skill gaps you might have and figure out how to close them as much as possible. That may mean training, or taking a lower level position that will provide you some experience. Once that's done, you can identify the locations that are suitable - maybe they require a move, maybe not.

There are a few high paying professions that always need people, have a relatively easy training path. Trucking and heavy equipment operation come to mind, both of those are eligible for OSAP funding, take less than a year and pretty much guarantee graduates a decent paying job. Those are just a couple of examples, there are lots of other options. A good training program will get you placed in 8 mos, both those jobs have employers north to south, coast to coast.

I've spent some time in Timmins this year, lots of mining work in the area. It's heavy work, long days, and pays well I was talking to some mine workers this weekend, one of them pressure washes equipment at a crushing plant, one loads ore using a bobcat, one changes tires on big mining equipment -- they all started with zero experience and make $30-50/hr. The tire guy just did a stint for his company in Argentina, he gets the opportunity to work around the world at his company's mines.

I agree, I deal with a lot of new hires and side hustles are a red flag. Entrepreneurism is somewhat addictive and the HR crowd knows a lot of people with that gene treat full time jobs as a bridge back to self employment.

Based on your postings I suspect you have that gene, you are an individual contributor and not that experienced in leading people or managing things with a lot of moving parts.

The first step to planning a career or a move is to pick something you really want to do, as opposed to tossing a wide net and looking for anything you can do. Once you narrow that down, identify any skill gaps you might have and figure out how to close them as much as possible. That may mean training, or taking a lower level position that will provide you some experience. Once that's done, you can identify the locations that are suitable - maybe they require a move, maybe not.

There are a few high paying professions that always need people, have a relatively easy training path. Trucking and heavy equipment operation come to mind, both of those are eligible for OSAP funding, take less than a year and pretty much guarantee graduates a decent paying job. Those are just a couple of examples, there are lots of other options. A good training program will get you placed in 8 mos, both those jobs have employers north to south, coast to coast.

I've spent some time in Timmins this year, lots of mining work in the area. It's heavy work, long days, and pays well I was talking to some mine workers this weekend, one of them pressure washes equipment at a crushing plant, one loads ore using a bobcat, one changes tires on big mining equipment -- they all started with zero experience and make $30-50/hr. The tire guy just did a stint for his company in Argentina, he gets the opportunity to work around the world at his company's mines.
Unless you're referring to a different field of trucking I get the impression from a few truckers I know that the way of life is going downhill, largely to deregulation.

It's a bit different if a hubby / wife team decides to live on the road and max out their paid miles. With little or no rent and not much to spend the income on, they can build nest egg in a few years and decide if they want to do that for the rest of their lives.

How long before autonomous trucks are allowed. They're still scary to me but so was the 747 the first time I saw one.

The aptitude thing is the most important. No everyone is born with brains wired the same. Some can't relate to social skills and some not to manual skills. Some neither. Trying to do something your brain isn't wired to do is like a left handed person forced to do things right handed. Yes they can but something gets lost in translation.

This is the big one here. You can make stupid money working in mining. Between the actual salary, and then add the bonus structure (they get paid by meters of advance, the pay is very very good. The things is you have to be good. If you're slowing down the crew, means you're slowing down production, and that means less cash in their pockets. First you get your ass kicked, and if you don't get in line you get thrown off the team. Unfortunately production means that safety comes second in a lot of mining sites. I work with a lot of miners, and they go for less money with us due to losing a lot of friends, and seeing many injuries in the smaller mines in BC.

The big mining companies, Rio Tinto / BHP, will train their people, and you get to see the world on company dime...if you're good. And if you are good, you have it set for life if you can hack the lifestyle.

You are absolutely correct about the gene. Although, not sure about being just an individual contributor as I have led people and I am naturally good with that. One of the programs I am thinking of doing is this:

Why you ask? Because I want to be super good at one thing only for the rest of my life.

I am also going to partnering up with someone who is into reno work and they are willing to teach me a thing or two. That way I will always be employable if needed. But yes, having my own business is very satisfying. I never got satisfaction from any job as I did from landscaping gigs as I finished the projects, saw the smiles on client's face and referrals with tips.

I am still doing the mortgages because I figured they do go with real estate construction, sale and reno hand to hand.

mining in Canada has come a long way for safety
sure there are still incidents occasionally
but we don't often kill workers anymore

from a safety perspective
I'd take mining over construction any day

if you're interested in a rotational/camp based role CG
check out IamGold...new project under development in Gogama
they starting to hire up now, very good, Canadian, gold mining company
it will be a rotational/camp gig

If you look seriously at going mining, the biggest open pit to fall into isn't the mine. Its making stupid large money and going to Hawaii on your two weeks off, not going home because your F350 is in for a lift kit and its not sledding/bass boat/seadoo season.
My daughter calls them the time and a halfers, every job seems to have a time and a half pay option , these guys work hard, burn it and leave with half of what they could.

Guy I sail with is an Industrial electrician on baffin island in some iron ore mine. He makes his old1 yr salary in 3 months. Those jobs can pay very well. But you have to be diciplined .

mining in Canada has come a long way for safety
sure there are still incidents occasionally
but we don't often kill workers anymore

from a safety perspective
I'd take mining over construction any day

if you're interested in a rotational/camp based role CG
check out IamGold...new project under development in Gogama
they starting to hire up now, very good, Canadian, gold mining company
it will be a rotational/camp gig
I will contact them, thank you for mentioning.
If you look seriously at going mining, the biggest open pit to fall into isn't the mine. Its making stupid large money and going to Hawaii on your two weeks off, not going home because your F350 is in for a lift kit and its not sledding/bass boat/seadoo season.
My daughter calls them the time and a halfers, every job seems to have a time and a half pay option , these guys work hard, burn it and leave with half of what they could.

Guy I sail with is an Industrial electrician on baffin island in some iron ore mine. He makes his old1 yr salary in 3 months. Those jobs can pay very well. But you have to be diciplined .

I am extremely cheap to the point I hurt myself. Disciplined enough to be debt free still and paid off my student loans long time ago. I am okay with mining work but is there a skill I can learn and use?

Baffinland is looking for an IT guy

a lot of the Canadian mining companies will hire completely green workers as haul truck drivers
constructions guys have tons of built in bad habits that are hard to train out of them
it's entry level as far as operations go, but pays pretty well and a good worker moves up fast

if you have IT or other hard skills, that's a better way to get going
if you end up in a tonka toy, that's pretty much it until you retire
it's not transferable to another industry

Last edited:
Baffinland is looking for an IT guy

a lot of the Canadian mining companies will hire completely green workers as haul truck drivers
constructions guys have tons of built in bad habits that are hard to train out of them
it's entry level as far as operations go, but pays pretty well and a good worker moves up fast

if you have IT or other hard skills, that's a better way to get going
if you end up in a tonka toy, that's pretty much it until you retire
it's not transferable to another industry
Hahaha, Maybe the new hire can fix their website so the title doesn't show up as "Just another WordPress site".

I will contact them, thank you for mentioning.

I am extremely cheap to the point I hurt myself. Disciplined enough to be debt free still and paid off my student loans long time ago. I am okay with mining work but is there a skill I can learn and use?
Plenty. Most important is as you build experience and show promise you rise to foreman, superintendent, and then Mine Boss. Those lads make cash. You're basically dealing with man babies a lot of the time, but it's very rewarding.

If you end up the IT guy on Baffin in the ore mine (there is just one) look up Steve the electrician and tell him Pete in Bronte is still waiting for the beer he owes me.

Guy I went to high school with skipped town over some bad judgement he was running from and wound up in northern BC in an aluminum mine, dirty work that paid well, he ended up with 4 houses in the small town he rents to 'new guys' , and got his 35yr pin at 54 and retired on a full pension. He was a shift supervisor when he was done, started on the end of a broom.
But like most mine towns, girls and booze get most guys eventually.

Ages ago I knew a diesel mechanic that got his house down payment by working on the DEW line. One problem was that some guys would get into gambling and go home with nothing while the better player went home with double. The whole bunch minus one had to spend a few days in a shed when the odd man out got news that his wife had dumped him. He went berserk with an axe and the RCMP couldn't get in for a few days because of weather.

But like most mine towns, girls and booze get most guys eventually.
An ex-neighbour got his financial start in life mining for diamonds in South America. Once you had a stash you went to the local village to sell to a middle man that ripped everyone off. Too many took their earnings to the local saloon and blew it on booze and broads. They never got out of the jungle. My neighbour only cashed in enough to pay his bills and grubstake. Once he had a bag full he went into town, skipped the middlemen, cashed in and never went back.

Not sure if it was you asking a while ago or someone else, however I'm sure I mentioned taking a look at Reliance...we had our hot water heater serviced a couple of years ago and the tech said they're always hiring new guys, and with overtime, a lot of them are making six figures yearly...the apprenticeship is paid for and you get a company vehicle...worth taking a look at...

Not sure if it was you asking a while ago or someone else, however I'm sure I mentioned taking a look at Reliance...we had our hot water heater serviced a couple of years ago and the tech said they're always hiring new guys, and with overtime, a lot of them are making six figures yearly...the apprenticeship is paid for and you get a company vehicle...worth taking a look at...
That was probably bigpoppa as he got his gas fitter license. Reliance Homecomfort (and similar companies such as enercare) are the devil. They get rich by sewing fear and taking advantage of people that don't know any better and then locking them into ridiculous contracts. I wouldn't work for them no matter how much I could make.

Each camp is different for sure. I've heard horror stories so a lot of issues can be avoided depending on your personality and weaknesses.

I'm at a dry camp, FIFO, no booze/drugs/stimulants allowed of any kind even though they're legal. Are there drugs/booze here? You betcha. I haven't seen any, but we've had guys get stoned out of their minds and go ape ****. First boat/helicopter out.

I have not seen any gambling, fights, or any of the sort. Try to find a dry camp (if you're into it) with a reputable company, and you will be fine. I had a thread here prior to accepting this role, and a lot of insight from the GTAM community which helped me solidify my decision.

I am 100% glad for this opportunity as it afforded us a nice boost in finances, and got rid of any and all debts we had (besides the house). This has been a very good chance to learn something new, expand my knowledge base, and meet interesting people in a beautiful place. And the fishing has been f'ing awesome.

Glad I did it and took the chance. But time to go home and I'm on the last boat tomorrow. I will send some pics from tonight and tomorrow if the weather co-operates.

An ex-neighbour got his financial start in life mining for diamonds in South America. Once you had a stash you went to the local village to sell to a middle man that ripped everyone off. Too many took their earnings to the local saloon and blew it on booze and broads. They never got out of the jungle. My neighbour only cashed in enough to pay his bills and grubstake. Once he had a bag full he went into town, skipped the middlemen, cashed in and never went back.
My dad mined gold for a little bit near Timmins as a young pup. When Bob rolled up in a new truck Monday morning everyone would congratulate him for his luck on hitting a gold vein. Apparently if you saw a bunch of gold, it was an open secret that you stuff your pockets.

Back
Top Bottom