Getting a job far from GTA or ON when you live in Toronto | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting a job far from GTA or ON when you live in Toronto

black_CG2

I would like to know how to do so. I know the traditional ways of looking online etc but there has to be more. Yes I want to relocate and leave GTA for good. I have IT, project management background but I am willing to learn new skills as needed.

personally, I would pinpoint a place you'd like to live first...do a bit of research on the job market and salaries, then compare them to housing costs whether rental or purchase...once you have an idea of where you want to go, (or two or three places that you'd like to move to), then reach out to a headhunter/employment agency as @J_F mentioned above...some things to consider are proximity to family and friends (how close are you to parents, siblings, chums and are you willing to drive to see them) as well as services (medical, social (not that relevant right now, but hopefully again in the future), sports (are you into playing hockey, b-ball etc), banking, food (grocery/restaurants) etc....

OR...you can go to a local recruiter where you currently are (maybe try a chain recruiter if they still exist, one that has multiple offices across Ontario/Canada) and get them to a) polish up your CV and b) help with identifying hot spots for your job prospects

OR...go on service canada's website and do a search there (you can also save searches and get notifications when new jobs are posted)

if you go the second route, once you've identified a hot spot for your credentials, then you can start searching...most companies are willing to do virtual interviews if they're really interested...

good luck!

Where do you want to go? I have always found personal referrals to be infinitely more effective than blind applications.
BC or Alberta. Or Northern ON. My personal referrals are just not enough. Or maybe I suck. I don't know. But every single job/gig I got, was by competing with blind applications. Very hard to be honest.

Military.
I was thinking air force.

you have to be pretty good at a role that's hard to fill with locals
a recruiter can help polish up your CV and give realistic expectations
I will see what I can do. I did polish up my CV and my recent interviews went well. Still nothing and only ghosting from employers haha.

personally, I would pinpoint a place you'd like to live first...do a bit of research on the job market and salaries, then compare them to housing costs whether rental or purchase...once you have an idea of where you want to go, (or two or three places that you'd like to move to), then reach out to a headhunter/employment agency as @J_F mentioned above...some things to consider are proximity to family and friends (how close are you to parents, siblings, chums and are you willing to drive to see them) as well as services (medical, social (not that relevant right now, but hopefully again in the future), sports (are you into playing hockey, b-ball etc), banking, food (grocery/restaurants) etc....

OR...you can go to a local recruiter where you currently are (maybe try a chain recruiter if they still exist, one that has multiple offices across Ontario/Canada) and get them to a) polish up your CV and b) help with identifying hot spots for your job prospects

OR...go on service canada's website and do a search there (you can also save searches and get notifications when new jobs are posted)

if you go the second route, once you've identified a hot spot for your credentials, then you can start searching...most companies are willing to do virtual interviews if they're really interested...

good luck!
Thank you, this is solid.

this outfit placed me in BC a few years ago
good experience, and they stay in touch

I will try them. Thank you.

Find a recruitment firm that specializes in your field and geography.

Large, national agencies may not have the right contacts to put your CV in front of the right person. They have a shotgun-approach that works better for filling general bums-in-seats positions. Look for local headhunters, instead.

Thanks, great advice!

Weren't you the guy doing lawn mowing and mortgage brokering? If so, it appears you may have more marketable skills than just IT & Project management, depending on where you settle.

Here's an example: find a small town with an older demographic and start up a landscaping/snow removal business. I moved to the Niagara region a couple years ago and am amazed at the number of lawn mowers & handymen who are run off their feet in this area. Lots of older retired folk in this region and they don't like to (or can't) do the lawn/snow shovel thing anymore. You're not gonna make the Forbes 500 list doing that stuff but with the lower cost of housing and other staples, if you can stay busy year round (once you line up a customer base) you may be able to eek out a decent living.

hubby's oldest son is a US Marine, and his younger son is hoping to move back to ON (he's in FL and they all have dual citizenship) after finishing his BA in Criminology to apply to the Canadian Forces...good career choice, just need to be flexible on where you get stationed (might be more challenging if you're married, but not impossible, as the oldest is married and has a 5 year old)...

I’d recommend trying out for remote camp jobs if you want to work and make bank....and if you’re able to make it work with your wife staying home.
we did it for 2 years and it’s time to come home. Literally accepted a role this morning in Toronto for a PM job so we will see how it goes. About a 50% pay cut....but I miss wife and the kids and I’ve enjoyed this life. It’s addictive though....lot of divorced and broken families.

EDIT: No one is doing in person interviews right now. The interviews I had were all through Teams right now (what happened to SKYPE?). I had some connections to get into this place, so that always helps. But one thing I learned, do NOT assume that your network knows you're looking for a job. Make sure you tell them, and ask them to tell their friends, and so on and so on. I wasn't looking all that hard. My friend called me to say this job is opening up and she thinks I'm a good fit. Worked out. Current boss is ****** because he was trying to get me back to home office, but this is a good opportunity.

Have you considered joining the local union? LIUNA183 has the contract for all underground / civil construction. LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of work coming up in Toronto. Pay is approx $43/hrs and after benefits, pension, and all that jazz you're looking at closer to $67/hr. But you need to be underground, not on the surface. They need foreman, labour, skilled labour, supervisors, etc.

Get your CV professionally done. It helps.

Join clubs / meets / volunteer with organizations that have ties to what you enjoy. May help, may not...but you'll help someone.

As others have said, set up alerts on the different job site. You want a spec writing job? Literally just got contacted by 2 recruiters today. One for a spec writing job, and another for a work supervisor. I can send the info to you, PM me.

Last edited:
Weren't you the guy doing lawn mowing and mortgage brokering? If so, it appears you may have more marketable skills than just IT & Project management, depending on where you settle.

Here's an example: find a small town with an older demographic and start up a landscaping/snow removal business. I moved to the Niagara region a couple years ago and am amazed at the number of lawn mowers & handymen who are run off their feet in this area. Lots of older retired folk in this region and they don't like to (or can't) do the lawn/snow shovel thing anymore. You're not gonna make the Forbes 500 list doing that stuff but with the lower cost of housing and other staples, if you can stay busy year round (once you line up a customer base) you may be able to eek out a decent living.
Kawartha lakes - bobcaygeon/Lindsay etc. could be options as well going that route.

Kawartha lakes - bobcaygeon/Lindsay etc. could be options as well going that route.
You just have to be careful about the seasonality of residents. When the population collapses in the winter, there are not that many people wanting snow cleared and there are a lot of locals hungry for work. If you want to establish a maintenance business, it is easier if you pick a location with a stable needy population.

I’d recommend trying out for remote camp jobs if you want to work and make bank....and if you’re able to make it work with your wife staying home.
we did it for 2 years and it’s time to come home. Literally accepted a role this morning in Toronto for a PM job so we will see how it goes. About a 50% pay cut....but I miss wife and the kids and I’ve enjoyed this life. It’s addictive though....lot of divorced and broken families.

EDIT: No one is doing in person interviews right now. The interviews I had were all through Teams right now (what happened to SKYPE?). I had some connections to get into this place, so that always helps. But one thing I learned, do NOT assume that your network knows you're looking for a job. Make sure you tell them, and ask them to tell their friends, and so on and so on. I wasn't looking all that hard. My friend called me to say this job is opening up and she thinks I'm a good fit. Worked out. Current boss is ****** because he was trying to get me back to home office, but this is a good opportunity.

Have you considered joining the local union? LIUNA183 has the contract for all underground / civil construction. LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of work coming up in Toronto. Pay is approx $43/hrs and after benefits, pension, and all that jazz you're looking at closer to $67/hr. But you need to be underground, not on the surface. They need foreman, labour, skilled labour, supervisors, etc.

Join clubs / meets / volunteer with organizations that have ties to what you enjoy. May help, may not...but you'll help someone.

As others have said, set up alerts on the different job site. You want a spec writing job? Literally just got contacted by 2 recruiters today. One for a spec writing job, and another for a work supervisor. I can send the info to you, PM me.

A lot depending on age and marital status. A young person could go to a less than ideal location and make a bundle. Nothing helps more than having a solid financial base (House). Then you can decide on the kind of job that makes you happy. It beats living hand to mouth and taking desperate jobs to meet the bills.

I think you need to be careful about not going too rural because then, there's a lot of locals who already do this type of work and small town politics can be brutal for newcomers. I think the trick might be to go city but smaller cities. Along the Niagara Pen, there's a number of places. Likely other towns in S.W. Ont. or even Eastern Ont. Not sure what the perfect population base is but I expect around 100,000 - 150,000 weighted with an older demographic.

A lot depending on age and marital status. A young person could go to a less than ideal location and make a bundle. Nothing helps more than having a solid financial base (House). Then you can decide on the kind of job that makes you happy. It beats living hand to mouth and taking desperate jobs to meet the bills.
For sure. But for instance when I see young guys come to the camp jobs...they LOVE making the money. But (I feel old) I always tell them 'the money always stops' and they don't believe it. Told one guy not to buy that sports car, save up some cash, and blow the rest, nope...bought the sports car...they all got laid off the next week.

Also, jobs like camp are great for money. Having a wife is easier than trying to form a relationship (for most) as it'll take a special type of bond with a partner to wait around 3 weeks out of a month to hang out. I joked with my wife if she thought about cheating we'll have baby #3...won't have enough time for a side man! Sometimes I got lucky and got home at 9pm on the Friday...no boyfriend! Whew!

Yes, it is I. In all honesty, I found more success in lawn mowing than mortgage brokering. However, I have not been able to scale the landscaping business. Mortgage is okay but since I am new, I am struggling to find traffic etc.

I will email you :)

For sure. But for instance when I see young guys come to the camp jobs...they LOVE making the money. But (I feel old) I always tell them 'the money always stops' and they don't believe it. Told one guy not to buy that sports car, save up some cash, and blow the rest, nope...bought the sports car...they all got laid off the next week.

Also, jobs like camp are great for money. Having a wife is easier than trying to form a relationship (for most) as it'll take a special type of bond with a partner to wait around 3 weeks out of a month to hang out. I joked with my wife if she thought about cheating we'll have baby #3...won't have enough time for a side man! Sometimes I got lucky and got home at 9pm on the Friday...no boyfriend! Whew!

Yeah I do need some quick money for a house.

In my recent interviews, they were impressed with my full time job and side business. They knew I have work ethics but still would ghost me. I am considering to do some schooling but in construction technology, where I can learn how to build a house from ground up. That way I will never ever be unemployed.

In my recent interviews, they were impressed with my full time job and side business. They knew I have work ethics but still would ghost me. I am considering to do some schooling but in construction technology, where I can learn how to build a house from ground up. That way I will never ever be unemployed.
In all honesty I wouldn't bring up the side hustles during interviews. While they may be impressed, it also shows that you're doing your own thing (which is great) but while you build your business you're using their funds to keep afloat. Once you get traction, you'll just leave and get out of the company.

Not saying you shouldn't, but if I was interviewing you and was being told about your side hustle...I'd be curious where your loyalties will lie in the end, and whether you'll give 100% of your time/attention to my work instead of using that time to build your own thing.

FWIW I'm at the other end of the spectrum in that I'm retired and while not rich I'm OK having a small nest egg. I could occasionally make a decent buck a day on a spot job basis but since I don't really need the dough it isn't a lure. Someone asked me what it would take to get me onto a job but unless the money was life changing it didn't interest me. Life changing would be like a small lottery, five or ten million. I'm not worth that kind of dough.

I would be more interested in a trade off. I give up a day of my special talent and in return I get something special that would be hard to buy, like a cooking lesson from a gourmet chef or sailing lessons on a 30+ footer. My wife says I should trade for time with a psychiatrist.

@nobbie48, I'll take you sailing next yr on a 30ft, no talent required.

Get a list of towns you'd like to be in and go visit. Both my kids moved to Alberta for jobs when Ont. just didn't have what they wanted, its been good for both of them, but its hard being 3000kms from family (or maybe not...)

Back
Top Bottom