Gear recommendations | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gear recommendations

I bought the dakar 3 earlier this year. Now my favorite jacket, very good fit for me. I use it in warmer weather only as I find the liner just ok unless I put the rain jacket on overtop to block the wind, it flows a ton of air through all the mesh. I paid $499 plus tax at Gp Bikes, don't regret it and I'd buy it again.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

This year I bought Forma Terra, much better protection, waterproof, and comfortable. They aren't as protective as full mx boots, but I can walk in them comfortably. They are likely closer to what you're looking for.
94cd199df6275713570ce8f33a89e1bd.jpg

I was really keen on these, that is until I actually saw them. Very disappointed. The plastic used for the hinge is very thin and provides virtually no lateral support. The boot folds over at the ankle just as any boot without a hinge would.

Sometimes I shake my head and wonder if manufacturers ever bother to inspect and test their own products.

Sorry Iceman. They're great looking boots. I hope you're happy with 'em.

I was really keen on these, that is until I actually saw them. Very disappointed. The plastic used for the hinge is very thin and provides virtually no lateral support. The boot folds over at the ankle just as any boot without a hinge would.

Sometimes I shake my head and wonder if manufacturers ever bother to inspect and test their own products.

Sorry Iceman. They're great looking boots. I hope you're happy with 'em.
No worries, I knew what they are when I bought them. For my purposes, they fit my needs. For serious offroading I have a stars tech 7 mx boots, and fox enduro boots.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I wouldn't bother with waterproof boots anymore, if water gets in from the top, or they get old, it takes forever for them to dry on the inside and it starts to really stink. Not to mention the hot humid days and lack of ventilation. I would get a pair of these, as mentioned on ADVrider

Anyone have any experience with the Revit line of Rain gear?

I currently have over the top rain gear( (made by Rhyno) but its not as compact as I would like it to be when being stored. It is also black and purple, not very visible in rain.

Is this Revit stuff any good. Long lasting and breathable?????

The website description doesn't mention anything about breathability as its is polyester.

Are Frogg Toggs the only breathable gear?

1692310203160.png
1692310227404.png

Anyone have any experience with the Revit line of Rain gear?

I currently have over the top rain gear( (made by Rhyno) but its not as compact as I would like it to be when being stored. It is also black and purple, not very visible in rain.

Is this Revit stuff any good. Long lasting and breathable?????

The website description doesn't mention anything about breathability as its is polyester.

Are Frogg Toggs the only breathable gear?

View attachment 62741
View attachment 62742
Is there rain gear that is worn over your moto gear that is breathable?
I thought they were all non-breathable.

I have a Revit rain jacket you can check out if you want to see it. Also have the First Gear 'Sierra' rain jcket and pants if you want to see what they are like.

Now I have a Klim suit and a Stadler suit - both Goretex, so the old rain gear is collecting dust.

Is there rain gear that is worn over your moto gear that is breathable?
I thought they were all non-breathable.

There are breathable materials like GORE-TEX. The breathability rating has less to do with how much air can pass through, and more to do with how small the tiny holes are in the fabric which allow water vapour out (like your sweat evaporating inside), but not actual water (like rain on the outside) to get in.

In my experience, the problem with anything breathable is that constant pressure will force water through the material. Pressure like your butt sitting on the seat. Unless the material has 0 breathability (like PU rubber), over time, the weight of your body will eventually force water through all the tiny holes in the breathable material, resulting in a wet butt and crotch.

There are breathable materials like GORE-TEX. The breathability rating has less to do with how much air can pass through, and more to do with how small the tiny holes are in the fabric which allow water vapour out (like your sweat evaporating inside), but not actual water (like rain on the outside) to get in.

In my experience, the problem with anything breathable is that constant pressure will force water through the material. Pressure like your butt sitting on the seat. Unless the material has 0 breathability (like PU rubber), over time, the weight of your body will eventually force water through all the tiny holes in the breathable material, resulting in a wet butt and crotch.
Do you know if rain outer garments come in Goretex?
I thought they didn't.

Do you know if rain outer garments come in Goretex?
I thought they didn't.

Yeah, it's more of a liner not a standalone material, so most of the motorcycle vendors put GORE-TEX as a membrane in their gear.

But all the outdoor gear manufacturers have rainjackets with GORE-TEX liners: Arcteryx, Columbia, Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, etc.

Super expensive though. Not the material itself, but the license to use the branding.

Frog Toggs is an example of breathable standalone rain suit material. But the holes are so large, lots of reports of it being TOO breathable so not as waterproof.

Which do you prefer of the two? Benefits and negatives of each? Thanks
I prefer the Stadler gear for everyday riding, but have not yet rode in very heavy rain with it, for hours on end. The light rain I have been in while wearing this gear seemed to not leak into either the pants or jacket. The pants and jacket are not a set, because the pants I bought off a forum member here a couple years ago and the jacket I bought from the recent sales occuring at the old Yamaha building in Oakville.

I use the KLIM gear (current version 'Latitude' set) for touring only, because I love the layout of the pockets and I know the gear is completely waterproof. I've ridden in several days of continuous rain and my body is always completely dry.

Stadler Pro's:
  • Extremely comfortable pants with moderate armour in the important places.
  • Jacket is very robust (I added in the D3O armour) and feels like it would protect me well in a slide or crash.
  • Both pants and jacket have a good fit to them, so they feel like they fit well and look good too.
  • Outer front stomach pockets on the jacket are really well designed, because they keep your belongings inside the pocket regardles of body position (deep pockets that are accessed from the top not the sides).

Stadler Con's:
  • Waterproof zippers used on pant pockets are weak compared to KLIM waterproof zippers.
  • Ventilation on pants is only at the shins (nothing at upper legs) and jacket ventilation is on the front chest and armpits, which move surprisingly little air.
  • Jacket has poor layout of the chest pockets for cell phones and other items you might want to access quickly, without having to unzip the jacket.

KLIM Pro's:
  • Excellent waterproofness and breathability
  • Excellent ventilation on both pants and jacket, which all move a good amount of air
  • Excellent layout of primary chest pockets that can be accessed without unzipping the jacket.
  • Additional mesh pockets inside the jacket for lightweight items.

KLIM Con's:
  • The jacket always looks frumpy. Like it's made for a slightly overweight North American, who has a pear or square kind of shape.
  • Pants have a slightly low crotch stitch, which means that every time I get on the bike they ride up my legs due to the specific cut of the pants. So I have to stand on the pegs to shake the pants back down to cover my ankles, and this helps it fit nicely while riding.
  • I like to slide around on my seat when cornering and the KLIM suit (material and cut) is not the best for constantly changing body positions, while the Stadler suit is perfect for that.
So for me, each suit has a different purpose and I use them each for their strengths to provide me with options for quality gear in any riding I do.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's more of a liner not a standalone material, so most of the motorcycle vendors put GORE-TEX as a membrane in their gear.

But all the outdoor gear manufacturers have rainjackets with GORE-TEX liners: Arcteryx, Columbia, Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, etc.

Super expensive though. Not the material itself, but the license to use the branding.

Frog Toggs is an example of breathable standalone rain suit material. But the holes are so large, lots of reports of it being TOO breathable so not as waterproof.
Yeah I know a few folks who have used the Fogg Toggs and all of them have mentioned that there are leaks. An exterior shell like Frog Togg's that is Goretex and packs down super small would be great for the moto riders who want to wear their everyday jacket and throw on the exterior liner from time to time.

Not sure what such an exterior liner would cost. Even my First Gear Sierra jacket liner and pants was around $200 for the set, which isn't that cheap.
Anyone know what the cheapest Goretex moto jacket is for those who don't want to drop $800+ on a jacket and another $600+ on pants?

Back
Top Bottom