Gas prices | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gas prices

ToSlow

Site Supporter
I’ve spent the last wk visiting the Caribbean islands, And for the life of me i can’t figure it out how a gallon of gas is cheaper here than in Canada. We are an oil producing country

I’ve spent the last wk visiting the Caribbean islands, And for the life of me i can’t figure it out how a gallon of gas is cheaper here than in Canada. We are an oil producing country
I would guess it comes down to taxes and regulations.

What's even stranger is in the US and around the world where e85 is sold at pumps its more expensive then regular gas and goes up and down in price in line with normal gas and the increase of the price of oil, even though it's only got about 15% gas in it.

Venezuela supplies the Carribean with cheap fuel.

Ah but we "have to" import oil. It's all monopolized. It's great to create demand when you also control the supply of it.

Oh and it's gonna get worse come Apr 1st, biggest joke on all Canadians from our Gov, they are not even hidding how funny it is anymore.

When I was in Barbados many years ago it was 50-75% more expensive than Canada at the time.

Guess times have changed.

Bahamas, Dominican and Grand Turks

Bahamas dollar is pinned to the USD. A quick Google shows some recent prices being $5.17/gallon, which is $1.77/L USD, or $2.42/L CAD.

Dominican shows currently $1.41 USD/L, or $1.93 CAD/L. Be careful, teh signs show local currency and in the case of the Dominican right now that might show "0.77" but that's actually dominican pesos.

The last price I could find for T&K was last summer but converted out to $2.87/L CAD.

So from what I can gather, it's actually a lot more expensive.

I remember on our of our cruises I found a pump showing something that *looked* cheap, but it was a local currency and ended up being over $2/L Canadian after the exchange back when our gas prices were just cracking $1/L.

Bahamas, Dominican and Grand Turks
No data for Grand Turk/Turks and Caico, the other two are actually higher than here.

Bahamas is 12% higher than Canada and Dominican is 16% higher than Canada. Likely just looked lower due to currency differences. Bahamas for example is 1:1 locked to USD.

Of course our number is an average and some parts of the country/provinces are higher and some lower, the number in the data set is ~1.66 CDN/l (1.218 USD).

BTW, Canada is actually 7% lower than the global average. In the data of the roughly 70 countries that have a lower gas price there are maybe 6 ones that I would even consider living in/safe first world/same class as Canada, many of the others I would not even travel to. The ones higher are a mix but most of the first world is in that higher price group.

Last edited:
BTW, Canada is actually 7% lower than the global average. In the data of the roughly 70 countries that have a lower gas price there are maybe 6 ones that I would even consider living in/safe first world/same class as Canada,

I wish more people realized this.

They just don't look outside their own borders and are being fed a steady stream of "everything is priced/taxed to stupid levels here in Canada!" on social media, and that's their focus.
The same can actually be said for a lot of things. The constant freakouts about our grocery prices for example aren't really justified entirely - anyone who has travelled into the USA in the last few years and bought groceries will quickly discover that in a lot of cases things are priced the same or more, before exchange.

I was in Hawaii in November last year , a pineapple was $3.49 US , in farmboy Oakville a pineapple was $3.89 CDN .

I think the biggest tell would be , when on a cruise ship , where is that baby taking on fuel? They will know where fill ups make sense and I’m guessing the mileage is terrible on a 979ft boat .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Gas Prices in Turks And Caicos Islands
TransportationEdit
Gasoline (1 gallon)6.80$
Volkswagen Golf 1.4 90 KW Trendline (Or Equivalent New Car)30,000.00$
Toyota Corolla Sedan 1.6l 97kW Comfort (Or Equivalent New Car)20,000.

Do the math

Unable to load data
Fuel TypeOntarioSouthern Ontario
Regular Unleaded Gasoline146.9146.3
Mid-Grade Gasoline160.3159.3
Premium Gasoline168.1167
Diesel163.3162.4

Around 50c a gallon cheaper if you’re using high test

That will change April 1

Last edited:
Not sure where that was going @ToSlow but.... currency and volume complicate things--maybe where it is off?

US Gallon is 3.78l, Imperial gallon is 4.54l, Canadian exchange today is 1.37 aka 0.73. Your data above is in USD (I have seen that data and confirmed) and while as a British Overseas Territory they may sell Imperial (if selling gallons) your web data has to be checked if it is US gallon based (the math checks out as US gallon for the data---> ). Most data shows Turks around $1.80 USD per litre/$6.80 USD per US Gallon. The Canada average price is $1.218 USD per litre OR $4.60 USD per US Gallon . As noted volume and exchange rates need to be accounted for....

Regardless, April 1 tax increase (if that is where you were going) of 14¢ CDN or roughly 10¢ US per litre will bring Canada almost exactly to the world average for fuel prices (as we are 10¢ below now). We will still be cheaper than most of the first world. At that point the price here will also still be cheaper than The Bahamas, Dominican Republic and Turks and Caicos.

Of course fuel prices go up and down but the above is recent data as your trip is recent. All bets are off for the Easter long weekend.
As an aside the difference in US and Imperial gallon gets played with here by the marketing departments of car makers. They quote mileage in l/100km but also in miles per "gallon", but they use Imperial gallons here. So in the US the vehicle gets 30 mpg, the one in Canada is advertised at 36 mpg... just different gallons.

Back
Top Bottom