Fz6 Front tire removal tool? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fz6 Front tire removal tool?

Look for Motion Pro. Any shop can get one. They're on the shelf at GP Bikes, I believe.

Or get one at the show this weekend.

Or follow JF's advice.

Support the local guy next time. Forget the Chinese Amazon crap. Another reviewer claims to have had the same difficulty as you.

Holy, it's almost painful to watch somebody struggle so much with changing a tyre,
asking the audience didn't work, is time to phone a friend!

Well that was fun, bought the item, it doesnt fit 3/8" drive

Sorry dude. I wasnt recommending you click on the link and buy it. I provided the link so you could understand what tool you were asking for at the local motorcycle shop.

How can your wrench not fit, anyway? Is it possible your ⅜" drive torque wrench is actually ½"?

How can your wrench not fit, anyway? Is it possible your ⅜" drive torque wrench is actually ½"?
Is made in China lol what would they know about 3/8" that's like 9.525mm
:LOL: guy making it probably figured 9.5 should be close enough for export, couple hours with a hand file should fix it (y)

Do exactly like @J_F said. Just put the 19mm end in the axle and hold the opposite end with a 17mm socket, 17mm open ended wrench or even an adjustable wrench. Easy. When reinstalling torque the nut and just use your tool to hold the axle in place.

Holy, it's almost painful to watch somebody struggle so much with changing a tyre,
asking the audience didn't work, is time to phone a friend!

If only I had a bunch of tire changing medals

There is also a chance that that tool was modelled for the old snap on standard. I cant remember the details but for a while, there existed a socket set that looked like 3/8s but was incompatible. Chinese knockoff companies dont always think through their copies.

Hmmm, I don't mean to be insulting and I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from trying and learning but if the tool fits into the bikes axle and you can't figure out the options for the other end, it might be time to call a friend.

Changing a fork seal isn't rocket science, but if this is you first stab at overhauling steering and brakes a trusty friend in your garage is worth more than the advice of a million internet experts.

Then a spark plug socket backwards with an extension in it from the wrong end. Bingo.

I took this idea from @Wingboy and modified it a little.
The spark plug sockets I had did not allow for the extension to enter from the wrong end as it was tapered inside.

So I cut off the hex side of the socket.
Works like a charm.

1586828537660.png
1586828558869.png

You take a great big metric bolt that has the same size head as that big hex hole, you put the bolt head into the socket and figure you how you are going to turn the shank end of the bolt. If the pinch bolts are loosened off sufficiently the threads in the lower fork leg will not be all that crazy tight.

... Don't damage the axle, it is most likely made from a titanium alloy and will be softer then the steel tools you are using on it.
I think that's how I did it with my FZ6 (2006)

3/8 doesn't fit? wtf. must be some madman with a really really warped sense of humour behind that.
Probably more a warped sense of reality or responsibility. They could be using one of the vintage snapon sets that were a funny size as a template, it could be a metric conversion gone wrong or it could just be crapass manufacturing and qc.

I always laugh when I see Kenyan hand carved giraffes. Most have one leg that is all jacked up because that existed in the one they are copying. Nobody cares about what a giraffe looks like, they are just replicating the object in front of them.

3/8 doesn't fit? wtf. must be some madman with a really really warped sense of humour behind that.
Its probably 1/2" drive. If not, @bigpoppa,

Just do this... problem solved.
642782753413adfc03a89d2037a2c4b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

if its a 1/2 inch I would think the tool operator would immediately recognize that. but perhaps you're correct...

I kinda like the idea of a disgruntled chinese worker laughing to himself while he's working away for 2 bucks an hour. giggle. Yeah I have a weird sense of humour too. sorry OP, my bad.

Last edited:
Parts are finally here, im trying to losen the fork caps but nor in the service or ownership manual, or anywhere on google can I find the socket size

Anyone know?

Going off memory, but I want to say it's a 24mm

Back
Top Bottom