Fz6 Front tire removal tool? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fz6 Front tire removal tool?

bigpoppa

2005 Fz6 will need to remove the front tire as the forks likely need some work(Right fork leg seems a little....wet/oily), will take a look at the brakes while im at it...

For the life of me I cant figure out how to remove the front axle...tried google/youtube/service manuals and most of my books as well...
none of them offer anything concrete as to what TOOL I will actually need to remove the front axle and what size it will need to be...

There seems to be no nut/bolt protruding...and you can see right through the axle somehow..

Guessing I need some sort of a weird large hex tool/socket..

Also will someone be so kind as to tell me what size I will need? Looked everywhere to no avail...

Thanks!

I know the rear needs a 32mm socket

That seems like a make-shift home remedy...guessing its probably not a good idea, and wouldnt work with a torque wrench when pulling everything back together

Im guessing theres probably a big hex socket out there that does the job...

Wonder If ill have to find a stand/lift or something hold/support the weight of the bike as i'll be removing the forks or will the center stand on the FZ6 do?

@J_F ??

your center stand will work , put some wieght on the seat to keep the back end down (I use a pillowcase full of coats , but whatever) . you may need a bit more travel to get fork legs out you can put a couple pieces of 2x6 under the center stand. You can hang the front end from your garage rafters so you aren't working so close to the floor. (and that will give you more clearance and unobstructed access)
You can also get 'giant' hex wrenches at princess auto, but I'd probably get the motorcycle specific tool from some one like Riders Choice.

You take a great big metric bolt that has the same size head as that big hex hole, you put the bolt head into the socket and figure you how you are going to turn the shank end of the bolt. If the pinch bolts are loosened off sufficiently the threads in the lower fork leg will not be all that crazy tight.

... Don't damage the axle, it is most likely made from a titanium alloy and will be softer then the steel tools you are using on it.

Last edited:
3/8"? so I wont have to get a new torque wrench!
Different size torque wrenches for different torque pressures :| you likely need 3 torque wrenches to cover the needs of the whole bike.

Wonder If ill have to find a stand/lift or something hold/support the weight of the bike as i'll be removing the forks or will the center stand on the FZ6 do?

@J_F ??
Suspend the bike off a strong overhead support with ratchet straps, bike will never fall over and you can lift it high enough to slide the stanchion tubes out of the triple tree yokes. Centre stand is useless for that, suspend the rear also for stability.

... is a metric fastener, just measure the hole across the flats with a plain old ordinary tape measure.

... notice how us old farts don't run out and buy a special tool for everything, we just get er done.

yoUuzeL.jpg

If you have it on the center stand, you can do one of two things to setup for front end work. 1) Preferred: loop a ratchet strap around the handlebars and over a ceiling joist. You don't need much pressure on the strap, only enough to keep the back wheel on the ground. 2) Place a 2x4 wood block under your header then use a small floor jack to hold the back down -- again use as little lifting force as possible.

Your factory toolkit has a cheapie stamped socket for removing the front axle. There isn't much torque on this, it is locked in with pinch bolts.

Couple of tips for changing fork seals on that bike (they are super easy!

After removing the front wheel and calipers, 1) loosen the top triple pinch bolts (leave bottom snug), 2) crack the caps nut and bottom drain plugs loose while the tubes are still clamped. Do reverse when reinstalling, torque the drain and cap before locking down the top pinch bolt. (they are hard to hold with your hands and a vice might marr the surfaces.

When filling the fork oil, get a basting syringe from the dollar store and 1 foot of clear 1/4" tube. Mark the tube at the depth, set it onto the tube and pull off until the syringe is no longer pulling oil.

It's also a great time to service the head and wheel bearings.

Back
Top Bottom