Fz6 Front tire removal tool? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fz6 Front tire removal tool?

Last edited:
Fork internals:
Strongly recommend complete dismantle and cleaning of the fork internals rather then just dumping through the drain plug.
Collect the old fork oil into a clean clear glass container so you can see what is in there other then oil.

RSU forks: If you see a whole lot of grey metallic type sparkle and fleck aluminum powder in the oil, that is your lower fork legs wearing out. Any loose pieces of black teflon coating in the oil came off your slide bushings. Any water in there will promote rust.

Clean everything as if it is a gun that you don't want blowing up in your face when you shoot it. (y)

3/8"? so I wont have to get a new torque wrench!
Your 3/8" wrench may or may not reach the required value for the front axle. For instance, I have a 3/8" drive torque wrench scaled in inch/pounds, 50-250. 250 inch/pounds is equivalent to 20.8 foot/pounds, likely not enough for your axle nut.
Different size torque wrenches for different torque pressures :| you likely need 3 torque wrenches to cover the needs of the whole bike.
Trials is correct. The serious DIY mechanic will have several torque wrenches, to cover various torque ranges and fastener sizes.

Torque values might be expressed in inch/pounds, foot/pounds, or newton/meters. Use a conversion app or website.

Back your wrench(es) off to the lowest value when you've completed the task. Keep them clean, don't drop, and do not use to break fasteners free.

Exactly. My neighbour borrowed my 1/2" torque wrench (i thought he was putting snow tires on) and came back with it later saying it doesn't work. Won't click.
What are you torqueing? Oil filter. Lol.

Thank you, I have placed an order on it, should arrive any day now, if it doesnt work for some reason, I might PM you.

Have multiple torque wrenches now, all 3/8" though, but I've covered the entire range of hardware as specified in the service manual, from like 7 ft/lbs to 87 ft/lbs (the highest) for the swingarm pivot bolt.

My question regarding the torque wrench was because I wasnt sure if i'd be able to find a 32mm socket for rear axle nut for my 3/8" torque wrenches, but then wingboy told me about adapters.

I have a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter as well and 2 torque wrenches (a 3/8" & a 1/2").
Let me know, not sure how far you're from me.

Last edited:
My question regarding the torque wrench was because I wasnt sure if i'd be able to find a 32mm socket for rear axle nut for my 3/8" torque wrenches, but then wingboy told me about adapters.

I have a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter...

Right, so using your ⅜" drive torque wrench, the 32mm socket will likely be ½" drive, in which case you'll need a ⅜" to ½" adapter, rather than the one Ninjanewbie has mentioned above.

Yes, I get that. How about a photo of the item you actually received?

This is a cheap solution, but it works. Go to Home Depot/Lowes/etc, get a 3/4" bolt and two 3/4" nuts. 3/4" is equivalent to 19mm.

Jam the two nuts against each other and you have a perfectly good 19mm axle removal tool for ~$1. Use whatever socket drive size you want to torque the axle.

Really? Sorry, I don't mean to patronize, but are you certain? Of course, you could use a wrench.

Where'd you buy?

Really? Sorry, I don't mean to patronize, but are you certain? Of course, you could use a wrench.

Where'd you buy?

Literally from the link.

I could use a wrench with it, as some of the other buyers have...but then I wouldnt be able to use a torque wrench...

Send it back, buy from a local bike shop, as you were advised. Or use Regder's suggestion above.

use the 19 end in the axle
put a 17 or 22 socket over the other end
torque away

edit:

too late now
but if you're gonna do a lot of wrenching on bikes
get an allan key socket set - metric
and then you wouldn't have needed that one time use thing

Send it back, buy from a local bike shop, as you were advised. Or use Regder's suggestion above.

Ill look around, hopefully a motorcycle dealer will have it, not too many places to get specialized motorcycle tools locally

Back
Top Bottom