FZ07 shut down and stalling | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

FZ07 shut down and stalling

Kind of assumed it wasn't throwing any.

Probably isn't, but it's the simplest and easiest thing to check.

Also while in there, you can check the other diag functions. Things like the function fo the side stand switch, throttle position sensor, air temp sensor, map sensor, etc.

Might even have a tip over sensor, they do that with Fi to protect the motor from running out of oil when it is upside-down. I tested mine a few times, it works.

What are all the ways you can tell if one cylinder is working as well as the next cylinder ?
Temperature, compression testing, plug reading, did I miss any?

There is nothing more then one butterfly valve idle set screw per body, is there not?
They should all close at the same time (y) job done.
plug reading = pull both spark plugs and visually compare them, if one looks different then the other we can assume one is not right.

Compression test = special tool, is nice to know what compression reading is on each cylinder of your bike when it is new and then monitor that over time, just like taking a humans blood pressure it aids with diagnostics and indicates the need for service when it is off or not equal on both cylinders.

One would assume if it detected a problem it would light a light or display something. I did.

@regder it didn't show any code on the display and I have no clue how to check through the diagnostic mode without taking it to a dealer...

I was wrong, your bike needs the Yamaha diagnostic tool to get into the diag menu. On my Tenere, the diag mode can be accessed through the gauge cluster.

One would assume if it detected a problem it would light a light or display something. I did.

You'd think so... The MAP sensor went bad on my Tenere, was acting funky for a while before finally triggering the engine light.

@r3r3r3 never...I have the manual and have not seen that as part of the maintenance schedule...this is the first time it's been at a dealer for any type of service (and that was to put heated grips on so i had them check the air filter and spark plugs seeing as they had the gas tank off anyways)...

So this problem happened after the heated grips were put on?

BP is right, check the battery cables to see if they are loose, check the clutch switch and then work down to the sidestand switch.[/QUOTE]

two issues...2015 FZ07 with 19200 km...oil changed about 250 km ago...air filter and spark plugs checked abut 1000 km ago (by dealer - both said to be fine)

1. any idea what this might be...i was cruising in 4th gear around 4000 rpm, downshifting into 3rd for a roundabout and lost power...dash lights were still on, oil light came on, but no power from the throttle...coasted to a stop, put 4 ways on, shut it off, of course the 4 ways shut off, so i turned the key back on and tried starting it, fired right up...rode home no issues,,,temp said 104C...any guesses?

2. secondary issue...had the bike recently serviced and dealer said air filter and spark plugs were fine (about 19200 km on the odometer)...every once in a while, when trying to pull away from a complete stop, it stalls...haven't even moved my clutch lever and it stalls, like it's not getting fuel...any guesses to this one?
I had a kickstand that had a loose spring and it would fall a little too much and kill the engine and also have had a dirty kickstand switch that would kill the engine on take off, I’m with grey look at your stand switch and stand spring

Colortune, but there aren't many people that own them. Multi-channel wideband 02 is probably as good as it gets but even fewer people are running that.

EDIT:
I haven't seen anyone do it, but we are getting close to having sensors and software that could separate out cylinders on a dyno.

I have seen bikes with o2 sensors on every cylinder for tuning as well, o2 bung welded on every pipe

Loose power/battery cable will not throw a fault code because the ECU "sees" this no differently than you turning the key off. Erratic side-stand switch will not throw a fault code because the ECU "sees" this as you riding off with the side-stand down. These are "normal occurrences" from what the ECU can tell ... it cannot "see" the difference between an open circuit because of a wiring glitch, or because you turned the key off or you put the side-stand down.

@ifiddles you gotta watch this one it's cool

... NOT suggesting this device would work for you, it's just another device for testing an engine and thats what mechanics do, they become familiar with the devices to test engines :geek:
So who has one? I could never bring myself to part with the crazy money they wanted. I know of people that have them, but dont think I know anyone well enough that I could borrow it. The new kit in the crap plastic tray is sad. This deserves the nicer box.

Yep, error codes are limited to the sensors they have to work with and it seems like half the failures are because the sensor went bad.

@Jayv yes and no...the intermittent stalling yes, however a few years ago it died on me going through an intersection...took it to the dealer then and they said i let the RPMs get too low...i uncovered an issue with the kill switch, something about a spring inside...we never took it apart or had it looked at and i just make sure it's "sprung" back into position before riding off...today was the first time it died since then...

i'm going to check battery connections, kill switch and side stand switch tomorrow...

thanks everyone...

"A few YEARS ago"?

This has been a problem with your bike for a few YEARS?

Did this happen just once "... today was the first time it died since then ..." or did it start doing something repeatably today (but was fine until today)?

@Brian P it died once a few years back...took it to Oakville Yamaha, they said nothing wrong with it...happened again today (so the 2nd time in total)...the intermittent stalling started a few months back...didn't think much of it until today...

so it hasn't been an ongoing issue for years...sorry if it sounded that way...

shot in the dark - were the throttle bodies ever sync'd? Seems to be a service that even some mechanics scoff at however it can cause issues at low RPM's / closed throttle position. Looks like Yamaha suggests resync every 4000 miles.
That was going to be my first suggestion. I have the tenere 700, same engine and many complaints involving stalling, surging etc were remedied with a throttle body synch.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

That was going to be my first suggestion. I have the tenere 700, same engine and many complaints involving stalling, surging etc were remedied with a throttle body synch.

Did they do your sync at the 1k service? They didn't at mine, and people are saying it should have been included.

Same engine as OP in the T7, and when the engine gets Hot, 100c+, I notice it stalls very easily, I thought its just my clutch cable stretched and I'm at fault, however once cool, doesn't do it. Also these bikes do have the tip sensor, I know cause I dropped the bike 2-3 times already, you have to cycle the ignition switch to turn it back on, first time it cut off I thought I broke the bike.

Not sure about the FZ, though the T7 has a vapour canister that is causing issues for people in the heat

Did they do your sync at the 1k service? They didn't at mine, and people are saying it should have been included.

Same engine as OP in the T7, and when the engine gets Hot, 100c+, I notice it stalls very easily, I thought its just my clutch cable stretched and I'm at fault, however once cool, doesn't do it. Also these bikes do have the tip sensor, I know cause I dropped the bike 2-3 times already, you have to cycle the ignition switch to turn it back on, first time it cut off I thought I broke the bike.

Not sure about the FZ, though the T7 has a vapour canister that is causing issues for people in the heat
My bike hasn't been for the 1k service. Dealer I purchased from is clueless, mechanic is even worse.
I bought a yamaha oil change kit for my bike and did it myself, I always have.

it's never been serviced by the dealer...

we took a look at the battery connections today and they looked fine...honestly neither hubby not i know what to look for or do to the side stand kill switch, so....

i'm just going to ride it...don't feel like leaving it at a dealer for a week before it even gets looked at...would rather be riding...and if it it dies and i can't get it started, i'll call CAA and get it towed...

or, as hubby said, just buy another bike :D LOL

Back
Top Bottom