FZ07 shut down and stalling | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

FZ07 shut down and stalling

Good winter project ;) service your motorcycle and learn as much as you can about it.

Do you ride it to work :cool: that would be pretty cool, get all the younglings hooked on motorcycles

@Trials in a normal school year, yes, I would ride it to work...both kids and parents love it...

believe it or not, there's four of us at my school with our licences, all of us female...definitely not your typical Catholic school ??

You won't get stranded, don't worry about that, Its a Yamaha CP2, rated the most reliable engine in the world, it will get you home in typical Yamaha/Japanese reliability style :). I'm no mechanical person either, simple oil change, filter, brakes etc... I did however add dialectic grease to all the Yamaha connectors, just unplug, put grease, plug back in, from signals, to relays.

Some use Stabilant and I think Infinity used it when they recalled a bunch of cars due to electrical problems solving all the issues, maybe you have water on a connection somewhere, and when it gets hot/humid, it triggers a cuts off

.honestly neither hubby not i know what to look for or do to the side stand kill switch, so....

This is what you are looking for
1593657379378.png1593657482970.png

I would make sure it is clean and free of dirt and chain lube.

@Brian P it died once a few years back...took it to Oakville Yamaha, they said nothing wrong with it...happened again today (so the 2nd time in total)...the intermittent stalling started a few months back...didn't think much of it until today...

so it hasn't been an ongoing issue for years...sorry if it sounded that way...
Dealerships suck, goto ace moto tech if you’re in Oakville, Adrian is in Milton not too far great shop

@mistersouthpaw I live in Milton and went to Adrian years ago (2011) when I had my Vulcan 500 and he worked out of his house...I'll see how it rides the next few days and if need be, will give him a call...Marty over at Milton Honda is great too...thing is, all dealerships/mechanics are uber busy right now (at least from what I've been told when speaking to dealerships about dirt/dual sport bikes)...

@mistersouthpaw I live in Milton and went to Adrian years ago (2011) when I had my Vulcan 500 and he worked out of his house...I'll see how it rides the next few days and if need be, will give him a call...Marty over at Milton Honda is great too...thing is, all dealerships/mechanics are uber busy right now (at least from what I've been told when speaking to dealerships about dirt/dual sport bikes)...
Ah the Vulcan 500. Bulletproof ex500 engine in those. Those bikes also had an issue where they would stall out because the gas cap wouldn’t vent properly and they would get starved of gas. Did that ever happen to you on that one as well? Lol

Last edited:
Id also check your radiator coolant level and the coolant level in your reservoir, 104 seems high but I don’t know that bike. Should be a quick easy check though

@mistersouthpaw actually, now that I think about it, the Vulcan did die on me once...I let it sit for a short bit and it started back up...the coolant level in the FZ07 is fine...we checked it when I did the last oil change, about 300 km ago...and according to the guys in a FZ07 group, 104C isn't hot...

@mistersouthpaw actually, now that I think about it, the Vulcan did die on me once...I let it sit for a short bit and it started back up...the coolant level in the FZ07 is fine...we checked it when I did the last oil change, about 300 km ago...and according to the guys in a FZ07 group, 104C isn't hot...
104 seems fine, I believe my cp3 was 108ish if I recall correctly.

How was the oil level?

Ok that’s good, the vulcans yea you can just prime the carbs (there is a PRI setting on the fuel petcock) and they fire right back up. Was a flaw in all of them, replacing the gas cap wouldn’t change anything

@Trials I watched that video on Colortune...pretty cool little gadget...oh, and in another post you mentioned my not going through streams but maybe power washing it?...nah, I don't wash my bike with a hose or power washer...just a bit of windex and pledge

@Evoex oil is good...

didn't ride today, too dang hot...I'm full gear all the time and I wasn't in the mood for melting...went for a walk instead...gotta shed these Covid-19 pounds off before school starts or I'll need to buy a new wardrobe... :eek:

It's nice really early in the mornings.

didn't ride today, too dang hot...I'm full gear all the time and I wasn't in the mood for melting...went for a walk instead...gotta shed these Covid-19 pounds off before school starts or I'll need to buy a new wardrobe... :eek:
get some mesh or textile/mesh gear. Throw on some cooling/moisture wicking base layers and it's much, MUCH more enjoyable.

But as i'm prone to say, once you experience Thailand ATGATT in 43 degrees +humidity, Canada is a cakewalk. :p

@Evoex I have a mesh jacket...I remember a few years ago (pre 2016 because I still had the FZ6R) we had a stretch of 40+ including the humidex and I rode all day in it no problems...I guess with age, heat tolerance goes down as well...

I'll look into the cooling base layers...thanks.

I had the exact same issue with the ol' FJ the first year I rode it. It would cut out randomly when applying throttle. Very scary as a noobie rider trying to pass on the 401. :oops: It was the sidestand switch - I just doused it in white lithium grease and actuated the switch with my thumb like a maniac for about a minute. It's been holding up for the last 7 years. (y)

Pretty sad when they make safety devices that could cause an accident.
Once upon a time the ancients put chunks of rubber on the end of the side stand, that still works pretty good today, rubber hits the ground and up goes the side stand.

19052018110917.jpg

Back
Top Bottom