FZ07 shut down and stalling | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

FZ07 shut down and stalling

If your bike cuts out in the manner you describe it's electrical. Sidestand switch or tip over or bank angle switch or some other major connection. Use contact cleaner and emery paper to clean up contacts on these switches and test them. While you're doing this I'd clean the battery terminals + the wires connecting to it and also pull and inspect fuses. Don't go by visual inspection alone, terminals or connectors can look OK, but have a film of corrosion on them that blocks proper contact.

To be honest, I have no idea what it is...we visually inspected the battery and side stand kill switch, and both looked fine...I downloaded a service manual, but it's definitely overwhelming for someone that is not a mechanic...I took electrical in high school (1982 - 1987) and could probably still install outlets and light fixtures today...however the wiring diagram for the bike gave me nightmares...dealers are packed busy, and I don't feel like having it sit at one for a week or two...I don't ride a lot during the school year and put most of my mileage on in July and August when I'm off...I rode Monday and yesterday with no major hiccups, so I'll just wait until the fall before bringing it to a shop...hubby is good with basic car maintenance, but he's no mechanic either...

To be honest, I have no idea what it is...we visually inspected the battery and side stand kill switch, and both looked fine...I downloaded a service manual, but it's definitely overwhelming for someone that is not a mechanic...I took electrical in high school (1982 - 1987) and could probably still install outlets and light fixtures today...however the wiring diagram for the bike gave me nightmares...dealers are packed busy, and I don't feel like having it sit at one for a week or two...I don't ride a lot during the school year and put most of my mileage on in July and August when I'm off...I rode Monday and yesterday with no major hiccups, so I'll just wait until the fall before bringing it to a shop...hubby is good with basic car maintenance, but he's no mechanic either...
Just be careful fiddles. A bike dying at the wrong time could get you hurt. Make sure (even more than usual) that you aren't trying to squirt through holes. Wait for some space and/or have some speed before crossing through traffic.

....however the wiring diagram for the bike gave me nightmares...

It's just a motorcycle :geek: how complex could it possibly be! Post up the schematic and ask questions,
I could not find one for your bike without buying it, and that just ain't happening because by law and basic human decency those things should be free.

It's just a motorcycle :geek: how complex could it possibly be! Post up the schematic and ask questions,
I could not find one for your bike without buying it, and that just ain't happening because by law and basic human decency those things should be free.
It should be like old appliances where there is a folded up piece of paper tucked inside so when you go to service it, the important documentation is right there. A wiring diagram, table of clearances and bolt torques would be sufficient for the cheat sheet.

...every once in a while, when trying to pull away from a complete stop, it stalls...haven't even moved my clutch lever and it stalls, like it's not getting fuel...

I'm going way out on the limb (considering I have never even seen a photo of the bike) and sticking with your first gut feeling, I don't think you have an electrical problem, I think she is just running out of gas.

It should be like old appliances where there is a folded up piece of paper tucked inside so when you go to service it, the important documentation is right there. A wiring diagram, table of clearances and bolt torques would be sufficient for the cheat sheet.
I think they should call that the owners manual ;)

I'm going way out on the limb (considering I have never even seen a photo of the bike) and sticking with your first gut feeling, I don't think you have an electrical problem, I think she is just running out of gas.
Explain how? It's not easy (although not impossible) for an injected bike to have insufficient fuel at idle without much bigger problems as revs and load climb.

Explain how? It's not easy (although not impossible) for an injected bike to have insufficient fuel at idle without much bigger problems as revs and load climb.
I just had this exact problem with my ninja, for some reason that I have yet to discern - my idle was low. It was causing the bike to stall at low rpm but would run and drive fine other wise. Coasting etc or if I blipped the throttle the bike would die. My PC5 was saying my idle was very low, I believe in the 700's, turned up the idle to proper spec everything all good now. The reason why I am confused is because I had the issue prior to installing my power commander and full exhaust. I have no idea why the idle was low when I got it and I was thinking that I myself had some electrical issue. When I opened the airbox there was a K&N air filter in it. I wonder if the previous owner put the race spec K&N in it and it threw off the AFR. I thought that it was the street spec K&N, ill have to open my airbox again and see. I need closure

Too big. I want one sheet in a ziplock bag. I don't want to carry 150 pages of warnings/cautions.
My last manual came on a USB flash drive, it's small enough but kind of useless if I break down in the middle of nowhere.

Idle screw is likely the only thing that can be adjusted with a screwdriver.

and "...air filter and spark plugs checked abut 1000 km ago (by dealer - both said to be fine)"
The air filter concerns me, I'll be damned if I will ever pay a mechanic 100$ per hour to visually inspect a paper air filter, if they took the time to remove it they should have just changed it, OEM air filter is a consumable item.

fiddles - what is your tachometer saying your idle is at? just out of curiosity
Can you upload a video of it idling and try to replicate the stall at idle? Try to figure out what will make it stall when it’s just idling and get it on video

It will provide a lot of insight. We’re all over the map

At lower idle then normal the alternator is putting your battery in a slight discharge state. Fuel injection uses an electric fuel pump that draws a lot of power to produce sufficient fuel pressure to over-come the springs in the injectors, if fuel pressure drops the motor will stop immediately just like somebody hit the kill switch.

... my 4-stroke Fi trials bikes have no battery, the idle is 1800 rpm +/-100 rpm.
Under normal load operating conditions they will still run well below that engine speed but the idle needs to be high.

Last edited:
At lower idle then normal the alternator is putting your battery in a slight discharge state. Fuel injection uses an electric fuel pump that draws a lot of power to produce sufficient fuel pressure to over-come the springs in the injectors, if fuel pressure drops the motor will stop immediately just like somebody hit the kill switch.

... my 4-stroke Fi trials bikes have no battery, the idle is 1800 rpm +/-100 rpm.
Under normal load operating conditions they will still run well below that engine speed but the idle needs to be high.
Thats probably why my ninja would stall when blipping the throttle. No juice to the fuel pump. Thats why I was thinking I had an electrical problem. Usually only happened immediately after starting it. When the battery was probably low. And I just replaced the battery now too.

I swear they put the smallest battery possible in sport bikes :/ you have to keep them charged and you have to keep them 90% healthy,
or always park at the top of a great big hill and save just enough juice to fire the fuel pump. When you put a brand new battery in the bike and it starts so much better, that's what alerts you the importance of the battery condition.

BMW K100 will not even bump start because the early era fuel pump draws too much juice, if the K battery is flat you call for a jump start
or borrow a working battery out of the nearest riding lawn tractor.

Mine is a ytx9-bs, definitely starts a hell of a lot easier now. The real fun part is removing four body panels so you can access the seat bolts :p I put tender leads permanently on this battery ran up under the pillion seat

You guys have just fried my brain...lol...

@Trials I didn't pay to have the air filter looked at, I paid to have heated grips installed...however, since the fuel tank was off, I had them check the air filter and spark plugs at the same time...

@mistersouthpaw that problem you had with your ninja sounds like mine...I've tried replicating it and can't on purpose...it feels like not getting enough fuel...even hubby said maybe I'm letting the clutch out too much, but I know I'm not...

I'm thinking idle is around 1100, but I'd have to double check...

Back
Top Bottom