Fuel prices on the west coast | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fuel prices on the west coast

with a new Alberta Gov
this is only going to get worse for BC
be a great time to be selling Prius'ss to the left coast granola eaters

But I am sure they are all switching to some alternative source to power their cars, heat their homes, and water, whatever those alternatives are.....Right... that is what the Carbon Tax is suppose to "help" you do.

But I am sure they are all switching to some alternative source to power their cars, heat their homes, and water, whatever those alternatives are.....Right... that is what the Carbon Tax is suppose to "help" you do.

UK fuel prices are twice what we pay here, that has encouraged people to turn to smaller cars and often diesel cars too. Both still use fossil fuel but are more efficient. Maybe people will eventually do the same here?

Is this the annual switch to summer fuel increase ? If it is then it will happen here soon enough.

UK fuel prices are twice what we pay here, that has encouraged people to turn to smaller cars and often diesel cars too. Both still use fossil fuel but are more efficient. Maybe people will eventually do the same here?
Yes I know, I was in London this past November and things were quite pricey.

But generally Europe has had smaller engine cars, with manual transmission for many years. Plus a transit system that actually is usable, and not cold winters, well compared to here.

I already drive a Hybird, upgraded my furance to 97% efficient. Now they want more??

I am actually thinking about installing a wood burning stove for more heat and less gas usage.

Vancouver is a hell hole for gas.
Carbon Tax
Municipal environmental surcharges
There's only one refinery in BC, so there's a surcharge to build more capacity
There's only one pipeline into BC and it's always full, so there's a surcharge to build more pipeline and fend off hippies
... so they're always running out of gas and buying it on the spot market... which gets railroaded or trucked in from Washington.

If you think Vancouver is bad, try Nanaimo.
We get a comparatively cheap gas here.

Oil is $US68/bbl. For any other commodity there would be federal and provincial inquiries and investigations. But since federal and provincial governments are as culpable as the oil companies there are, of course, none.

Damn, just googled it and it comes out to $2.14 a litre in the UK. Ouch!

Yes I know, I was in London this past November and things were quite pricey.

But generally Europe has had smaller engine cars, with manual transmission for many years. Plus a transit system that actually is usable, and not cold winters, well compared to here.

I already drive a Hybird, upgraded my furance to 97% efficient. Now they want more??

I am actually thinking about installing a wood burning stove for more heat and less gas usage.

Most of our provinces are as big the whole EU lol their prices wouldn't work here, everything is smaller and closer over there.

Alberta oil is beng sold at far less than $60 a barrel. It is time for canada to leave opec and burn our own fuel in our own country. Wonder how long before that happens.

Fuel efficient cars don't seem to be the future, as car companies are in the process of ditching their car offerings in North America, in favour of SUV's and trucks.

The push for electric vehicles also worries me. If that came to be the norm, the strain on electric capacity would create a need to make significant power projects to keep up, and then we would see the cost of electricity skyrocket to pay for new nuclear facilities. This would affect not just cost of vehicle operation but also home operation, commercial and manufacturing. That would affect cost of everything we purchase.

More people need to switch to motorcycles for all but winter months.

But I am sure they are all switching to some alternative source to power their cars

Like..perhaps...electricity?

Not surprisingly EV's enjoy a far higher saturation rate there, and as the news gets out more that they're dirt cheap to operate vs gas cars, that will continue. I have an expat Ontario friend who lives outside Vancouver now and he's looking very strong at an EV.

We are headed to Montreal next weekend and I just checked - hovering around $1.50/L there - not surprisingly they have more EV's there than any other province in Canada as their electricity is very cheap comparatively.

Fuel efficient cars don't seem to be the future, as car companies are in the process of ditching their car offerings in North America, in favour of SUV's and trucks.

That was a shortsighted move from many manufacturers who just assumed cheap gas was here to stay. Now that that's not proving to be the case exactly, I suspect we will in the coming months start to see the exact same sales erosions we saw in 2008 when gas last hit these sorts of prices. Sure, people love their big giant (and often totally unnecessary) SUV's and monster pickup trucks, but when push comes to shove and they start to realize they're spending $500-$1000 month on gas, suddenly people start to realize maybe there's better alternatives.

I think you'll see manufacturers like Ford who have removed pretty much all of their car options in North America start to regret that decision as well when large truck sales start to plummet. The import brands and others of the Big3 will lap up the business instead.

The push for electric vehicles also worries me. If that came to be the norm, the strain on electric capacity would create a need to make significant power projects to keep up, and then we would see the cost of electricity skyrocket to pay for new nuclear facilities. This would affect not just cost of vehicle operation but also home operation, commercial and manufacturing. That would affect cost of everything we purchase.

This is a common argument against EV's and is not based on reality.

Most EV's are charged overnight, in peoples driveways. Overnight is when most cities have the most surplus generating capacity, including Ontario - heck, we are PAYING other provinces and US states to take our electricity sometimes overnight.

The head of OPG even came out and stated clearly that this is not a concern whatsoever - our grid is perfectly capable of handling a massive influx of EV's without any issues, and it would actually be a huge boon for OPG as they'd be generating income on electricity that is otherwise being basically given away (sometimes at a loss) simply because it can't be stored anymore.

Maybe join us over in the EV thread to get some real facts.

More people need to switch to motorcycles for all but winter months.

Not going to happen - it should be no surprise to anyone that owns one that motorcycle ownership rarely saves you any money unless you're using it religiously for very long commutes in which you'd otherwise be driving your car. Even then, with a short riding season, insurance and upkeep costs, and the fact that there are cars out there now that rival the fuel economy of many motorcycles, it's not realistic solely from a money saving aspect.

You don't see the other impact, the cost of everything will go up as fuel prices do so. From your groceries to flights and so on.

To some extent yes. I’m fine with that as I do believe we are at a point (probably beyond the point) where we need to face some uncomfortable truths. By the way, flights would cost less if there was more competition. European flights are dirt cheap in comparison to ours even with sky high fuel prices.

Fuel prices will influence behaviour full stop. We saw that cheap fuel prices encouraged many people to drive massive inefficient vehicles they didn’t really need. Higher prices will have the opposite effect and that’s really not a bad thing. If you still want an Escalade to bring a single kid to and from school you still can....but it’s going to cost you.

Back
Top Bottom