Friendly Reminder to Wear ATGATT | GTAMotorcycle.com

Friendly Reminder to Wear ATGATT

hymnz

I had a lapse of judgment and went out with sneakers. My right foot slipped while pulling the bike out of a parking spot and my right ankle got pinned under the bike. The jacket and the helmet also took quite a hit from the fall. Adrenaline got me up and ride back home, but after relaxing for a few minutes it became impossible to put the foot down. Went to the ER and was told I may have a hairline fracture and now I'm bedridden for a few days before they x-ray again and tell me what's what. A half-face helmet would have knocked a tooth or two out. The pain in my ankle is a *****. Don't be an idiot like me. Gear up properly before your ride.

I had a lapse of judgment and went out with sneakers. My right foot slipped while pulling the bike out of a parking spot and my right ankle got pinned under the bike. The jacket and the helmet also took quite a hit from the fall. Adrenaline got me up and ride back home, but after relaxing for a few minutes it became impossible to put the foot down. Went to the ER and was told I may have a hairline fracture and now I'm bedridden for a few days before they x-ray again and tell me what's what. A half-face helmet would have knocked a tooth or two out. The pain in my ankle is a *****. Don't be an idiot like me. Gear up properly before your ride.
Sorry to hear about your mishap.

When I was a kid, I got a sneaker shoelace caught in a minibike chain. I was lucky, it ripped my shoe off but no injury.

Since then I’ve never ridden with laced footwear.

Get well soon.

GWS! Sorry to hear.

I had a bike drop on my once but was able to jump out of the way. Learned my lesson…

No flip flops when going up a ramp to trailer a bike.

Get well soon

Sucks to hear.
At least you were close to home.

A buddy had to ride home from PA recently with a broken foot and leg boot from a similar incident.

GWS

I consider boots and gloves most critical after helmet for protection.
Then comes knees.

As OP shows, even minor mishaps with bikes which are hefty beasts can hurt.
Glad you are recovering.

My KLR fell on my foot when my riding pant leg caught in the side stand spring and down I went.
Very awkward as I was pinned ....luckily the high boots I was wearing offered enough wiggle room once I could flip the buckles open to get my foot out.
I might have been there a few hours til partner got home. No cell phone at the time.

Last edited:
I came across a bike collision a few years ago, 911 wasn't there yet and the fire station was only a half a mile away.

The rider was unconscious and twitching. One of his running shoes was ten feet away from his bleeding foot. While the foot injury was the least of his problems, it was one more step in recovery. ATGATT.

I came in from a ride and parked the bike on the side stand. Later after taking off the boots and wearing slippers I put the bike on the centre stand. With a Goldwing it means full weight on a small pad on the stand while pulling the bike back and up. Probably 250+ pounds on that square inch of foot had me limping for weeks.

There was a UK safety gear study a few years ago that said by far the most preventable injuries from a riding gear standpoint was to feet and ankles. Not because they were extra vulnerable, but because the percentage of riders wearing proper footwear was so low compared to helmets, gloves and jackets. If I recall correctly, per @MacDoc above, they rated boots third in the list of importance, behind helmets and gloves, but ahead of jackets and pants.

For my atgatt people, pay heed, the temps are rising, construction has begun, and traffic is getting intense, stay hydrated, take breaks, fatigue is very sneaky

Sorry to hear this, good reminder. Get well soon!

Glad to hear you are relatively ok OP.

Almost 20 yrs ago I was hit head-on while wearing beanie helmet, t-shirt, shorts and flip flops. Wear all my gear ever since then.

And speaking of hot weather, I just picked up a KLIM Baja suit and it's pretty sweet for feeling max air flow in full gear when it's above 30deg.

GWS thanks for sharing. Good reminder for everyone.

Sent from the Moon!

Had a bike accident (CB175) at age 16 wearing running shoes. Hairline fracture in arch of foot, 6 weeks on crutches. Very painful.

Sorry to hear about your mishap.

When I was a kid, I got a sneaker shoelace caught in a minibike chain. I was lucky, it ripped my shoe off but no injury.

Since then I’ve never ridden with laced footwear.

Get well soon.
Similar story here as well, although it happened on my first motorcycle when (unknown to me) the laces got tangled in the footrest. I couldn't get my foot down when I stopped and just fell over. Although it's kind of funny when I think back, I will never ever wear boots with laces when I ride now. I can't understand why they even sell motorcycle footwear that have laces.

Back
Top Bottom