fire trucks, tow trucks and cagers | GTAMotorcycle.com

fire trucks, tow trucks and cagers

dexter

Whats with the cagers chasing too close after fire trucks [on dvp!] lately. Can the plates be reported?
Are tow trucks allowed to use curb lanes for driving (with no tow attached).

/dex

Opportunists.

Tow trucks are emergency vehicles aren't they? Pretty hard to get to where they need to be if they wait in stopped traffic. Are they allowed to drive on the shoulder and pass on the right, probably not by law but by reasoning it is a requirement.

Karma: I saw a cager follow fire truck through a red light assuming the stopped traffic would let him through as well. Traffic stopped but a police car was also responding to the emergency and did a gotcha. Life's little pleasures.

Karma: I saw a cager follow fire truck through a red light assuming the stopped traffic would let him through as well. Traffic stopped but a police car was also responding to the emergency and did a gotcha. Life's little pleasures.
You need to have a green flashing light in your front window to make that semi-legal.

Green flashing light indicates volunteer fire responder. They are absolutely positively NOT exempt from any parts of the HTA, so they need to follow all the rules including not speeding, stopping at lights/signs/etc. The only thing they're entitled to is the courtesy of others.

As for Tow Trucks, they have no special exemptions whatsoever, despite how many of them drive like it. Tired of seeing them blasting down shoulders, etc. Even saw one go the wrong way down an offramp a month or two ago to get to a wreck.

Green flashing light indicates volunteer fire responder. They are absolutely positively NOT exempt from any parts of the HTA, so they need to follow all the rules including not speeding, stopping at lights/signs/etc. The only thing they're entitled to is the courtesy of others.

As for Tow Trucks, they have no special exemptions whatsoever, despite how many of them drive like it. Tired of seeing them blasting down shoulders, etc. Even saw one go the wrong way down an offramp a month or two ago to get to a wreck.
I reported one dbag tow-truck to Toronto police. He was driving along the gardiner, then stopped and reversed along the onramp causing all traffic entering the highway to swerve around him to get to a crash (while almost causing many more). Dispatcher said that when police responded they would tell him the GTFO for driving like an idiot.

I have also seen all kinds of $hit from Tow Trucks, going thorough red lights at intersections, racing other tow trucks, entering a left turn lane to cut people off in the normal lane, aggressive tail gating and lane changes.... goes on and on.

Just another thing on our roads because of lack of enforcement.

Professional drivers = bad driving habits.

I seen a cop throw on his lights do a huge burnout out of the police station parking lot all the way to Tim Hortons on the corner, ISYN he was going for coffee.

Professional drivers = bad driving habits.

I seen a cop throw on his lights do a huge burnout out of the police station parking lot all the way to Tim Hortons on the corner, ISYN he was going for coffee.
Haha, I saw a cop in cobourg go into tim hortons lights and sirens and come out a few minutes later with trays of coffee and donuts and take off back to the station lights and sirens. And they wonder why there is a lack of respect from the public? Police should be internally kicking the ***** of dbags who make them all look bad.

*Some* allowance has to be made for tow trucks driving in breakdown lanes etc in order to actually get to the incident in question. If a crash has the entire southbound highway 400 blocked, with both lanes backlogged for kilometers, and the tow truck is not allowed to do ANYthing outside of the law, all that traffic with the tow truck stuck at the end of it is now destined to fossilize in place to be discovered buried in rock by a future civilization 50 million years from now :)

Yeah, they shouldn't be racing each other to get to the incident first.

Those asshats chase so that they can move forward ahead of everyone else on the roads. I've seen them close to firetrucks and ambulances. They don't dare follow cops.

As for douche cops...my personal favourite is when they light up all their lights...cross the intersection on a red, and then turn their lights off. Rinse and repeat as they see fit. ********.

I witnessed the fire-truck tag-behind on 400 south two weekends ago (motorcyclist crashed, 400 was closed at Innisfil Beach Road).

As traffic came to a slow crawl, I observed several motorcycles using the right shoulder to pass everyone.

Yeah, but....
You and everyone else wants the highway opened up ASAP so... I'm willing to give a recovery vehicle some slack in this regard.
It's happens so infrequently it's statistically insignificant.

Yeah, but....
You and everyone else wants the highway opened up ASAP so... I'm willing to give a recovery vehicle some slack in this regard.
It's happens so infrequently it's statistically insignificant.
I'm not sure it's that infrequent. Almost any time I see a tow truck moving, they are driving like an ass. I agree that they should have some flexibility in order to respond and clear incidents, but there is no need to be driving up the shoulder at over 100 km/h with stopped traffic beside you or going against traffic on ramps. There are many tow trucks around, one coming from the safe direction is only a two minute delay. The driving like an ass is due to the need to be the first on scene at any cost which is the part of the system that is broken.

Dealing with these dickheads on a daily basis, and the ones that run the side of the road or are doing 120 km/h to a scene are the "vultures".

They arent need there that quickly, but first truck to the scene normally gets to hook up and sink their claws into that motorist.
Over the last couple years we have now been kicking them off the scene if they are breaking the rules of the road or doing something dumb.
The police also have tow contracts, and will tell them to leave.
If you think there driving is bad, you should see them at a car accident scene. Fighting with each other, yelling, telling drivers they need a tow truck when they dont .. the list goes on. A HUGE pet peeve of mine ..

The driving like an ass is due to the need to be the first on scene at any cost which is the part of the system that is broken.

'Not always the case...
I'm not sure how TPS/OPP dole out jobs, but in some jurisdictions there are agreements as to who gets what/how many jobs when it comes to clearing wrecks.
I agree... tow operators seem to be akin to vultures, but... whenever there's a wreck priority one is dealing public safety the injured. Priority two is... GET THE F%$&ing ROAD OPEN...

This morning, on lakeshore. A cop had his siren and lights, turning from fort york to lakeshore.

Traffic has green light on lakeshore.

Cars on lakeshore didn't care about the police car, barely let him get on the freaking street.

Messed up IMO

This morning, on lakeshore. A cop had his siren and lights, turning from fort york to lakeshore.

Traffic has green light on lakeshore.

Cars on lakeshore didn't care about the police car, barely let him get on the freaking street.

Messed up IMO

The problem is everyone has head the stories of cops lighting up at intersections then pulling in to a Timmy's, and right or wrong, they say screw it, probably on a donut run, and I'm in a hurry.

Back
Top Bottom