Fat in the middle. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fat in the middle.

inreb

Site Supporter
I struggle with a lot of the basics.
Like how does a $10,000 reshingle on a $300g home become a $25,000 reshingle on a million dollar home? The 1m house is only 1m because market forces, not because the occupants have any extra income.
Or lets say you're making average Canadian wages so you have to pay the auto repair shop 3 weeks take home pay for a 6hr. basic parts changing job? And then you have to work 1.5 shifts just to pay the tax on the same job. Something's out of whack. I know there are "expenses" but does everything have to be a military contract these days?

The shingle thing should be based on square footage more than anything...makes sense it might cost $25,000 to do it on a $1,000,000 5,000 sq.ft. property, but not the same one, but only 1500 sq.ft. in Toronto.

Like how does a $10,000 reshingle on a $300g home become a $25,000 reshingle on a million dollar home? The 1m house is only 1m because market forces, not because the occupants have any extra income.
Or lets say you're making average Canadian wages so you have to pay the auto repair shop 3 weeks take home pay for a 6hr. basic parts changing job? And then you have to work 1.5 shifts just to pay the tax on the same job. Something's out of whack. I know there are "expenses" but does everything have to be a military contract these days?

This is why I fix everything myself. From re-doing a roof, too keeping my vehicles rolling. I'm not dishing out my money, unless absolutely necessary.

The shingle thing should be based on square footage more than anything...makes sense it might cost $25,000 to do it on a $1,000,000 5,000 sq.ft. property, but not the same one, but only 1500 sq.ft. in Toronto.

Automatically assume same footage and shingles. 4 men, 2 days. Sure, quoted by two different companies but the prices shouldn't vary that much, should they?

This is why I fix everything myself. From re-doing a roof, too keeping my vehicles rolling. I'm not dishing out my money, unless absolutely necessary.

For sure, BTDT. But yesterday I rode all day rather than due diligent at home. I don't mind spreading the love around. Pass the lube.

Right now it's hard to find a qualified tradesman. Seller's market. The trouble is that a lot of people are land rich and money poor, particularly older folks whose old bungalow where they scrimped and saved is now in a trendy neighbourhood.

Right now it's hard to find a qualified tradesman. Seller's market. The trouble is that a lot of people are land rich and money poor, particularly older folks whose old bungalow where they scrimped and saved is now in a trendy neighbourhood.

Older folks should be taken advantage of anyway.

Last edited:

Maybe your dealing with the wrong roofers? We own a roofing company and the roof cost is not based on how much the house is worth. It's all to do with the square footage and the pitch of the roof and the length of time we figure it would take to complete the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ask for a breakdown of the estimate

as 905 said reroofing is priced based on several factors, square footage and type of material being the biggest

4 men, 2 days, 5g in material, maybe. I'm probably missing something?

I just sold a million dollar home that was 2300sq ft. Did the entire roof and it cost about $3400. Tons of roofers out there. Call around and check homestars. The estimate should be based off square footage and the type of shingles you want. Flat and metal roofs cost more.

I just sold a million dollar home that was 2300sq ft. Did the entire roof and it cost about $3400. Tons of roofers out there. Call around and check homestars. The estimate should be based off square footage and the type of shingles you want. Flat and metal roofs cost more.

That's your material cost amirite? Not installed with labour cost?

IKO roof installed with labour. $3400+tax. Warranty and all that jazz

Wow. No, double wow!! I did not think this was possible. Was it Gerry from Six Nations? In 2004 he did my 2200sq ft. for $2150(and it still looks good today) even tho I know in my heart of hearts my old shingles are in the Grand River right now. The high quote I got that year was $3800. In todays prices I would have thought 6-7g max.

edit: imho I think $3400 is too low. I'd like to see a good roofer make minimum $30hr., more is better.

Last edited:
The roofing is an open ended question. How steep? do they need jacks and rope lines, can you get a dumpster close? what are the tipping fees in your area for waste. Are they quoting the same product. Is it a complicated roof with multiple dormers and skylights to flash?

Now for sure there is an "address fee" , when they roll into the drive and its side by side Benz and a 3,400 sq ft house, they may ask a little more. Doesn't mean you cant phone another guy and when they are booked into October in a market like Oakville, they will ask.

No wasn't that guy. It was someone local. We got it done in late april during the off season. I forgot the name of the company, but if you need it I can try to find it. They did a great job.

Wow. No, double wow!! I did not think this was possible. Was it Gerry from Six Nations? In 2004 he did my 2200sq ft. for $2150(and it still looks good today) even tho I know in my heart of hearts my old shingles are in the Grand River right now. The high quote I got that year was $3800. In todays prices I would have thought 6-7g max.

edit: imho I think $3400 is too low. I'd like to see a good roofer make minimum $30hr., more is better.

The roofing is an open ended question. How steep? do they need jacks and rope lines, can you get a dumpster close? what are the tipping fees in your area for waste. Are they quoting the same product. Is it a complicated roof with multiple dormers and skylights to flash?

Now for sure there is an "address fee" , when they roll into the drive and its side by side Benz and a 3,400 sq ft house, they may ask a little more. Doesn't mean you cant phone another guy and when they are booked into October in a market like Oakville, they will ask.

Rich people didn't get that way by being stupid. They may pay a little more for better service but they might even be tighter with the cash.

Its funny, i get better estimates when i keep my garage closed than when i leave it open. I think people see 2 mercedes and a motorcycle as a sign that they are in for a pay day.

It's not my house. This came up for discussion last night because I was lamenting a car repair bill. One thing lead to another. BTW, that $25,000 quote was accepted and job complete. The customer is an Ancaster businessman. It's like different worlds.

Just had the roof done at my cousins' 3-plex in South Etobicoke. 3 story large roof + garage with shingles. I think the total came to $4500 or so with labour and material. Took the guys 2 days to do it, and of course one of the neighbours got pissy and called the MOL on them...no issue but idiot neighbours are annoying...

Back
Top Bottom