Fack, who knows a good furnace shop near Barrie? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fack, who knows a good furnace shop near Barrie?

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
TLDR. Furnace failing, need another one ASAP. Ductwork revision likely needed.

Quick background as there are a ton of knowledgeable people here:
Furnace is 2006 125K BTU Concord 90% with ABS combustion air pipes and a single side return air inlet. Outlet air temp when firing is ~175 F. House was new build at that time. Easy access to ABS for replacement with 336. Obviously terrible access to the majority of the ductwork throughout the house.
Main circulation fan motor let the smoke out in August. Replaced. It was a pain in the ass to get the part without a licence (and expensive, >$600 for OEM, best I could find on aftermarket was 350).
Now main blower wheel came loose between center hub and blades a few nights ago. That makes a great noise. Epoxied the blades back to the hub as a temporary fix, but frig knows how long that will last. Guy I bought the motor off is trying to source a wheel, but I am not excited about throwing another few hundred into this thing (my guess at price).
Called a gas fitter that I was referred to and he won't touch it as when furnace goes over 100K BTU you need two return ducts connected and he isn't a tin-knocker/duct-designer and he doesn't know a good one. He thinks (and I agree) that the air circulation is probably low and we need to free it up a bit.

So for now, I am running the epoxy fan a few hours a day to keep the house >65 when my wife is home until I can get this resolved. She is not very happy with the situation.

How big is the house that is a huge furnace. Can you get away with a 80000btu. In my old house I went the cheap route put in a 96 efficiency single stage was about 2000 installed.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

I'm not an expert but 125K BTU furnace at 90% is good for a pretty big house! I built a 3000sq 2 story in Holland Landing in '90, that house heated on a 75KBTU @80% eff. My 60s era ranch style house in Markham runs nicely with 55KBTU for 1600 up and 1600 down (about the same as a 2000sq 2 story) It's not uncommon for builders to oversize furnaces -- this often causes circulation problems, might be worth trying a heat loss calc to see whether you are right sized.

So much wrong with original install. Furnace definitely oversized and under supplied with return air. Pulled plans from township. Plans made my contractor that did install. Cursory exam shows install not according to plans. Temp rise should be ~50 F so it wants double the air flow. Wankers.

House is ~2800 ft above ground. Getting a price on a 96K two stage. Guy seems good so far. Most of the time it will be firing at 60K and have adequate airflow. At full blast, it will not be ideal, but unless I change the temp it should rarely hit stage 2. Anything is better than the current idiotic install. Some things cant be solved (no hot air returns on 2nd floor, they put them at the bottom of the wall and in the floor) but we'll do what we can.

I'm going to be bear for a long time, so I dont mind paying a bit more for something I dont have to listen too/keeps the house more comfortable.

So much wrong with original install. Furnace definitely oversized and under supplied with return air. Pulled plans from township. Plans made my contractor that did install. Cursory exam shows install not according to plans. Temp rise should be ~50 F so it wants double the air flow. Wankers.

House is ~2800 ft above ground. Getting a price on a 96K two stage. Guy seems good so far. Most of the time it will be firing at 60K and have adequate airflow. At full blast, it will not be ideal, but unless I change the temp it should rarely hit stage 2. Anything is better than the current idiotic install. Some things cant be solved (no hot air returns on 2nd floor, they put them at the bottom of the wall and in the floor) but we'll do what we can.

I'm going to be bear for a long time, so I dont mind paying a bit more for something I dont have to listen too/keeps the house more comfortable.
So far furnacedepot.ca seems good. Came quickly, asked the right questions and is putting a new one in early next week.

is there an inspection tag still on the installation?

should have a name on it

maybe copy it and send a nasty-gram to the municipality for follow-up

is there an inspection tag still on the installation?

should have a name on it

maybe copy it and send a nasty-gram to the municipality for follow-up
Yes, the company is still in business. Two tags on furnace. One with installer name and cert number. IIRC 2nd tag, same date, inspected by name and cert from same company. I haven't seen that before (and don't know what they inspected but they sure missed a lot).

I have no need to throw people under the bus for crap work done 12 years ago. Even if I tried, they would just argue that someone after them changed something and that wasn't the way that they left it. Chain of custody is very long and very broken so I can't see any trouble actually sticking.

Municipality should email me the plans later this week. I asked how much to scan the whole folder and they didn't know, but it would be a lot. They scan one page at a time, then they need to redact information. Ugh. What a waste. I can't even quickly flip though the file to see what's in there in case I see something sensitive. Oh well, they are nice people. I'm getting HVAC plans, site plan and architectural for ~$25. Seems very reasonable to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: J_F
We just did a new furnace/AC , 98% efficiency rating, its been in for 3 weeks and the house is much more comfortable than the 24yr old unit we replaced. the temp swings are much less and i think it cycles on/off less. But the whole system was about 9k installed.....

Gas fitter probably only had a G3 hence why he wouldnt touch it.
@Iceman is in the barrie area I believe, and a good guy that wont rip you off.

Municipality should email me the plans later this week. I asked how much to scan the whole folder and they didn't know, but it would be a lot. They scan one page at a time, then they need to redact information. Ugh. What a waste. I can't even quickly flip though the file to see what's in there in case I see something sensitive. Oh well, they are nice people. I'm getting HVAC plans, site plan and architectural for ~$25. Seems very reasonable to me.

hey maybe it'll look like the Mueller Report

CVgUBPj.png

Got the plans. Nothing redacted. Original furnace design calcs are shady at best. Designed for 90F temp rise across furnace with max allowable temp rise of 75 (and actual temp rise was more like 100). Airflow of 1187 cfm at 0.5". I am 90% sure we are way over 0.5" SP and should have had airflow a lot closer to 2000 cfm with the extra SP that I suspect is there it is probably running at <1000 cfm.

That's a big furnace.
Way too big.

Sent the original mech design to the guy putting in the new furnace. His reply, and I quote (names redacted by me) "Wow I know ***** the guy who designed this he was a sales guy for *** back in the day. Took a night school course on calcs. These days you can catch him at *** making schnitzel sandwiches. That is the WORST design I have ever seen! No joke! Unbelievable."

Back
Top Bottom