Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 421 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Getting ready to close in the exterior side door at my in-laws. Will pull casing and frame it up, insulation, vapour barrier, drywall on inside. What is needed on the exterior side starting at insulation level (it will be bricked which I haven’t done before either).
Out of the DIY stuff I've learned over the years, I found basic block and brickwork very easy. My cottage neighbor was a stone mason, he helped and taught me with the first 3 courses of block in my garage, I did the other 5 alone. 8-course block foundation for my garage.

It doesn't take much in the way of tools -- a couple of good levels, $20 worth of mason line and blocks, $100 in trowels, cold chisels, and raking tools and you're good to go. You do need attention to detail.

It is heavy tiring work, very hard on the hands, and a DIY project will take you 4x longer than a pro mason.

Out of the DIY stuff I've learned over the years, I found basic block and brickwork very easy. My cottage neighbor was a stone mason, he helped and taught me with the first 3 courses of block in my garage, I did the other 5 alone. 8-course block foundation for my garage.

It doesn't take much in the way of tools -- a couple of good levels, $20 worth of mason line and blocks, $100 in trowels, cold chisels, and raking tools and you're good to go. You do need attention to detail.

It is heavy tiring work, very hard on the hands, and a DIY project will take you 4x longer than a pro mason.
Luckily there isn't enough room to stand back and notice how it'll turn out. Quick math says around 200 bricks (looks standard size is around 2x7") to do a 36x82ish doorway opening. Maybe my math is wrong. That sounds like too many. Looking around to try to find some bricks on marketplace.

Luckily there isn't enough room to stand back and notice how it'll turn out. Quick math says around 200 bricks (looks standard size is around 2x7") to do a 36x82ish doorway opening. Maybe my math is wrong. That sounds like too many. Looking around to try to find some bricks on marketplace.

You are not far off. Depending on the joint size.

Punching in rough numbers, its coming up around 177.

2 inches for bright height seems on the lower side but if they are old than that might be correct.

For standard modular brick work, three bricks with mortar = 8 inches high. Length is 8 inches with mortar on one end.

Cleaned out the water lines throughout the yard front and back. More leaf cleaning.

Thankfully we still get our leaves picked up by the big city vacuum.

Compressor has weird smell…maybe that’s why dad gave it to me for free.

Mason Supply in Markham is pretty good at matching bricks. I’ve used them to match 70s era chimney bricks at my sisters house, and for archway bricks at MILs house.

Drive and auger belts replaced on snowblower. Thought it was going to be a harder job than it eventually was.
Kinda infuriating when you take the things apart thinking they're complex (because they cost so much) then realize it's only a few parts in this simple machine.
Mason Supply in Markham is pretty good at matching bricks. I’ve used them to match 70s era chimney bricks at my sisters house, and for archway bricks at MILs house.
Thanks but way out of the way.

Check if STONESELEX has a location out your way. Got all my stuff there.

Drive and auger belts replaced on snowblower. Thought it was going to be a harder job than it eventually was.

When I opened up my snowblower to fix something and discovered the 5 speed transmission is a big steel disc and by sliding the wheel in or out the rotation increases or drops , so you get multiple speeds . So simple I laughed at myself for dreading the job , once in it was ten minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

When I opened up my snowblower to fix something and discovered the 5 speed transmission is a big steel disc and by sliding the wheel in or out the rotation increases or drops , so you get multiple speeds . So simple I laughed at myself for dreading the job , once in it was ten minutes.

And reverse is just the opposite side of the disc. Such a great system. The downside is if you crash into a snow pile and don't stop the drive, its not hard to burn it up.

My issue was the manual that showed I should split the snowblower open by taking out six large bolts. Dreaded doing that. Then found another tech video that said “no need” stand the snowblower on the main scoop and do everything from the bottom via an access panel. Easy peasy once you realize how to slip the belts off the wheels and feed them through. The longest part of the job was draining the fuel.

A bit of file work could make it into a ten speed. More notches = more speeds.

My issue was the manual that showed I should split the snowblower open by taking out six large bolts. Dreaded doing that. Then found another tech video that said “no need” stand the snowblower on the main scoop and do everything from the bottom via an access panel. Easy peasy once you realize how to slip the belts off the wheels and feed them through. The longest part of the job was draining the fuel.
Take off the fuel cap and put a plastic bag over the opening. Put the cap back on and tip the machine over to your hearts content. No leak.

Don't forget to remove the bag afterwards.

Take off the fuel cap and put a plastic bag over the opening. Put the cap back on and tip the machine over to your hearts content. No leak.

Don't forget to remove the bag afterwards.
Except when it starts leaking through the plastic welded seam in the gas tank….ask me how I know 🤬

1. Second yard cleanup…I’m not sure how I don’t get divorced each winter / spring cleanup.

2. Air compressor is rattling. Think I need to change oil in it as smoke smell is stronger.

1. Second yard cleanup…I’m not sure how I don’t get divorced each winter / spring cleanup.

2. Air compressor is rattling. Think I need to change oil in it as smoke smell is stronger.
Could be the metal cage around the belt if it has one.

Back
Top Bottom