Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 423 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Thats what i get for not buying an oem parts. The impeller i bought from Amazon was just cheap plastic. Lesson learned.
BH-Motor New Electric Blower Impeller Fan for Toro Toro Model 51552 51573 51591 98-3150 Replace 100-9068

Blowing or sucking?

I'm trying something different by running them over with the lawnmower this year.

Blowing or sucking?

I'm trying something different by running them over with the lawnmower this year.
I do that every year, in the past I usually tried to get the last 1/3 (we have huge trees) but this year I have been mowing once per week to stay on-top of it and I am going to do 100% of the leaves that fall on the lawns. It is free fertilizer, when ground up small they decompose by early spring, our lawns love it. Toronto stopped doing the curbside leaf vacuuming this year (Etobicoke and Scarborough) so I switched from the last 1/3 to all this year.... We will only bag the driveway, deck, patios....

Few things to consider:
A properly set-up mulching mower works best by far as you want the chunks to be small to not smother the grass and to decompose faster.
If you let them pile up too much it may not work well (why I an doing the mowing once per week).
If you have any fungus or tar spots on the leaves you may want to bag for a year or two to break the cycle.
We are almost entirely maples but some other species may be too acidic which can be a problem, check out the deal for your leaves...

Just blowing. I could understand if it were sucking and debris shattered it, but it wasn't. I have no doubt whatsoever that if my head had been in the way, it would have been bad.
I was confides for a second with the initial post. Wouldn't not have expected that from blowing. Sucking maybe a small branch or something but that would still be significant damage

Mad woman near me is asking for neighbours leaves to spread on her lawn. She’s not mulching them. As far as I can tell she‘s starting her own tick farm. We mulch ours every year with the lawnmower. Free food plus getting rid of the leaf litter cuts down on ticks.

Fill the void under the door opening with cement, to give you the same level base as the brickwork on either side of the door.

You don’t usually use a lintel (angle iron) under when bricking in a door. They carry bricks over an opening.
Requested a pic of the doorway from the outside and it's brick from ground level, then a cement block about 8'x36" mortared in then the door opening. If I can chip out the mortar around that cement block to get it out without disturbing the bricks around it I'll do that however if that doesn't look possible I'll just brick on top of it and leave it there. Sticks out about an inch or so and not ideal visually but again with that tight space it'll not be an eyesore or effect home resale.

My latest project, this was supposed to be done in the spring, then the early fall but I procrastinated. So I best hurry up before it gets too cold!

What is behind curtain #1

20231115_095856.jpg

I am going to make a loft in this "attic" space above the office. I will insulate the roof, it will add some usable space and some extra storage. Just sucks having a hole in the ceiling in winter....

1000002217.jpg

1000002218.jpg

Some weird 1X vertical framing, my guess was to fix a sagging ceiling at some point over the last 80 years.

The plan is to add to the 2X4 roof joists to get at least 6 inch bats into the ceiling with an air gap above it. Convert to collar ties and rafter ties. Plumb in a radiator for heat.

My latest project, this was supposed to be done in the spring, then the early fall but I procrastinated. So I best hurry up before it gets too cold!

What is behind curtain #1

View attachment 64366

I am going to make a loft in this "attic" space above the office. I will insulate the roof, it will add some usable space and some extra storage. Just sucks having a hole in the ceiling in winter....

View attachment 64365

View attachment 64364

Some weird 1X vertical framing, my guess was to fix a sagging ceiling at some point over the last 80 years.

The plan is to add to the 2X4 roof joists to get at least 6 inch bats into the ceiling with an air gap above it. Convert to collar ties and rafter ties. Plumb in a radiator for heat.
How are you accessing the loft? Are you leaving the loft open to the office or will it be enclosed?

How are you accessing the loft? Are you leaving the loft open to the office or will it be enclosed?
The "plan" is to have it open to the office below and have a ladder but to also have an access door to the level above on the right of the pics for heavier items.

If I can swing it, there will be bookcases on the edge instead of a railing with a library ladder to access them and the loft. We will see once I get further along as there have been other ideas floated....

The "plan" is to have it open to the office below and have a ladder but to also have an access door to the level above on the right of the pics for heavier items.

If I can swing it, there will be bookcases on the edge instead of a railing with a library ladder to access them and the loft. We will see once I get further along as there have been other ideas floated....
While the ceiling is open, I would make sure there is provision for a ceiling fan in the office. Tall spaces don't play well with hvac (especially with rads).

Seems quite low. My parents 25x28x10 (~30% of the size) was 25-30 15 years ago.

I am assuming he doesn't want interior columns. Trusses/beams to span 40' clear are pretty beefy and expensive.

@Scuba Steve I would definitely include at least one i-beam for a trolley hoist. Very handy.
That's a good idea I am expecting it to be at least 100k will be a pleasant shock if less. I do have a forklift if the beam doesn't work out.

Sent from the future

Back
Top Bottom