Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 353 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Your way better off having the guy die than being crippled for yrs . You may get sued by surviving family , but it should be less than a guy loosing a leg .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Th
Your way better off having the guy die than being crippled for yrs . You may get sued by surviving family , but it should be less than a guy loosing a leg .

This is the sad reality. I’m sorry about the loss of your friend/coach @GreyGhost.

That example is good reason why I have a healthy fear of heights.

Th

This is the sad reality. I’m sorry about the loss of your friend/coach @GreyGhost.

That example is good reason why I have a healthy fear of heights.
It's sad that we have to think that way.

It's so easy to say the person doing the side gig should be responsible for their own safety. If they die or are maimed for life they should have been prepared with appropriate insurances on their own dime. Ethics always loses the battle when money comes into the picture.

When I started my business I was picking up a needed part at a small shop. The purchase was interrupted when the owner took a phone call. It appeared he was being pushed for money and he put the caller off.

When he came back to me he said "When I bought this business a year ago no one told me there was going to be a recession. If someone's going to lose their house it isn't going to be me."

When someone says "Don't worry, nothing is going to happen" it's time to worry. Crap happens in a heartbeat.

Radios don't work. I found local racoons like Q107.
I've wondered about deer whistles. They theoretically make a sound that scares deer. However wouldn't a sound like a deer in distress work better?

For the raccoons, can you get a recording of a raccoon dying a slow painful death?

I'm not suggesting torturing a raccoon but if someone had a YouTube video / audio of an existing sound clip, make use of it. (If you can stand the noise)

I've wondered about deer whistles. They theoretically make a sound that scares deer. However wouldn't a sound like a deer in distress work better?

For the raccoons, can you get a recording of a raccoon dying a slow painful death?

I'm not suggesting torturing a raccoon but if someone had a YouTube video / audio of an existing sound clip, make use of it. (If you can stand the noise)
A raccoon in distress is an awful noise. Like a child in pain. That could only work if you couldn't hear the speaker.

A raccoon in distress is an awful noise. Like a child in pain. That could only work if you couldn't hear the speaker.
Distressed racoons (trapped, injured, rabid)are usually silent, when they're vocal its usually fighting sounds or baby's crying for mom.

I get them fighting in my yard now and then, mostly a hissing and screaming match, not much contact.

When I was redoing the backyard, had a bunch of lumber stacked up beside the fence, one of them tried climbing it in the middle of the night and the whole stack collapsed onto him. He screamed and cried for about 20 mins before he could wriggle his way out and wander off.

Poor sap down the street hired a cash contractor to grind dome big stumps out of his yard. The 2 illegals lost control of the stump grinder and it chewed off one guy's leg (bloody mess). Neighbours ins covered $1m, he was on the hook for $100k.
Totall ******** IMO. Why does the homeowner have to pony up 100k for a contractor that cuts corners and cheapskate contractor is off the hook?

Total ********.

Totall ******** IMO. Why does the homeowner have to pony up 100k for a contractor that cuts corners and cheapskate contractor is off the hook?

Total ********.
What contractor? What paperwork? Assuming they were illegals, they don't want to say much in case it jeopardizes future. Even if they were legal, tons of dodgy contractors pick up staff for the day off the curb in front of labor ready. When contractor sees the flashing lights they disappear and nobody even knows their name.

BIL had his other idiot buddy over for more beers , buddy falls down the basement stairs hammered , drunks sister suggests he sues BIL for over serving him and letting him fall down the stairs and miss three weeks off work. Homeowner insurance paid out 40k settlement.
BIL and idiot drunk still hang out .

Recommendations on a semi-transparent deck stain? Time to stain the 2yr deck (mostly covered) and just looking to protect it and add a bit of colour tone. Used Cabots previously and it worked ok.
Edit: I'm also building a cedar split-rail dowelled fence this week and will need paint for that as well (when wife picks chooses a stain or paint colour).

Last edited:
Recommendations on a semi-transparent deck stain? Time to stain the 2yr deck (mostly covered) and just looking to protect it and add a bit of colour tone. Used Cabots previously and it worked ok.
I like cabot Australian timber oil. Expensive and slippery when wet. I dont like sikkens on the flat but it works great for siding.

BIL had his other idiot buddy over for more beers , buddy falls down the basement stairs hammered , drunks sister suggests he sues BIL for over serving him and letting him fall down the stairs and miss three weeks off work. Homeowner insurance paid out 40k settlement.
BIL and idiot drunk still hang out .

They’re probably both in on it.

‘Hey I fell down your stairs, wanna make some quick money’
‘Sure’
‘I’ll sue you for damages, Your insurance will pay out, and we’ll split it X/Y%’
‘Sounds like a solid and foolproof plan’

Deal.

Idiot I worked with and her spouse keyed their own car completely to get a free paint job. T hen found out the payment would be prorated due to the age of their car

What contractor? What paperwork? Assuming they were illegals, they don't want to say much in case it jeopardizes future. Even if they were legal, tons of dodgy contractors pick up staff for the day off the curb in front of labor ready. When contractor sees the flashing lights they disappear and nobody even knows their name.
If someone had to hire grunt workers would they be WSIB covered if they went through a labour exchange? Roofing is nuts for cash jobs so fly by night is common.

How about mowing lawns, cleaning eaves, shoveling snow, etc?

We're back to the lack of critical thinking and people not using forward vision.

Re the stump guy, I assume a couple of Dunning Kruger types bought a shovel and rented a chain saw. The saw jammed, kicked back and took out his leg. Who needs those expensive ballistic pants?

Well, with baby #2 on the way, my wife decided we needed a storage/ mud room. So we turned this unused basement closet into one.
Step 1 was drywall. Then came tile, then... well... you can see the work that I've put in.

(Right side is floor to ceiling storage cabinets with adjustable shelves).

Next comes primer and paint.

1.jpg4.jpg

As you all recall I had a pond in my backyard, and unfortunately this needs to be addressed before the new shed is installed.

What's the best way to get this done? Trench with gravel, one of these (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mole-pipe-4-in-x-20-ft-perforated-pipe-with-sock/1000751769), fill in with gravel, and bury it under some gravel and top soil?

Or...trench, gravel, one of these (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ip...ft-perforated-sewer-pipe-ecolotube/1000125257), and same as above...

OR...dry well in the yard underneath the area where there are dips and water pooling?

Was hoping not to start this during the insulation renovation, but I don't think I'll have much choice.

Back
Top Bottom