Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 156 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Gonna start finishing the coach house attic.

View attachment 52706
Have 12x29 plus a couple of dormer areas.

View attachment 52707

Have to fit a tiny 3 PC bathroom in here, 4' wide, 6' deep. This will be the biggest challenge.

Shower with really big drain holes and a liquid soap dispenser and some non slip hand holds.

Edit: maybe a good extractor fan/air freshener, bottle of bleach and a heavy duty plunger for curry night.

Tv mounted and cables mostly hidden. Used Auxe app to find a technician. He did the mounting and main adjustments. I did the cable tidying etc. I bought a Costco articulating mount and the guy said it would have held a 100” monster and was a bit of overkill for my 43” TV. The mount weighed more than the TV but it’s not going anywhere, it’s in 2 studs so I’m happy. $29 raceway kit from Amazon was awesome. All the fixtures needed to run 3-4 wires in the channel and make it tidy.

Now just trying to get all the settings right. Technician mentioned Syncler for my NVidia Shield and I got that all set up and it’s pretty good.

Noticed some motion artifacts on the TV from one 4k source so I don’t know if there’s some upscaling issues maybe on the TV side or something. I mainly watch the Shield so maybe I’ll let it handle any upscaling that needs doing rather than the TV.

Had an interesting chat with my dad today. He said that back home in Poland people install the sump pump deep in the basement, or beside the house, and just pump the water table down once in reaches a certain point. They don’t waterproof the house, or do any type of channels inside the house.

I never thought of it and only think of the sump as removing water from inside the house…not the lowering of water table around the house.

Anyone know about this?

Had an interesting chat with my dad today. He said that back home in Poland people install the sump pump deep in the basement, or beside the house, and just pump the water table down once in reaches a certain point. They don’t waterproof the house, or do any type of channels inside the house.

I never thought of it and only think of the sump as removing water from inside the house…not the lowering of water table around the house.

Anyone know about this?
That works if you leave the pump running. We try not to do that in most houses. Pump turns on for a short period of time when needed. As for pumping down water table, I suspect your job will be littered with aquatech containers to do just that.

Anyone know about this?
That's the primary reason you install a sump.

In a modern house in an area that has storm connections, a sump is not necessary. The weeping around your house should drain excess water to the storm sewer. If you have no storm connection, a sump is required.

A sump might fix your problem, but it's really expensive and not the right solution as you have an existing drain.

Call me if you need more on thud, I've done several dank basement remediation.

Also with a sump make sure you have backup power and I believe ice protection.

You mentioned @mimico_polak the water seepage is in the middle of the house, any were close to your chimney?

Our house has outside and inside sump pumps. I can also get water if I dig any hole deeper than 2 feet. Leave the hole open for an hour and it will fill to the top gotta work quick.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

Also with a sump make sure you have backup power and I believe ice protection.

You mentioned @mimico_polak the water seepage is in the middle of the house, any were close to your chimney?
Right beside the chimney actually.

Thanks guys, more research needed. And I was getting all excited todo a big dig.

Anyone know about this?
All homes in Alliston built in the last 35 years have sump pumps. Mine runs all year round. Comes on about every 1/2 hour. If I dig a hole in the spring it will fill with water to about 2' below ground level. Just high water table. Not all homes are like this but many are.

Scary to those from cities where weeping tiles are connected to storm sewers, normal for those of us here. No big deal.

For some reason my dad thinks installing a sump will cost us $300-500. Mind you that means me digging the hole and buying a small pump.

For some reason my dad thinks installing a sump will cost us $300-500. Mind you that means me digging the hole and buying a small pump.

Cost would be higher then that. Would have to get your weepers to drain into the sump hole.
Maybe a sump outside would be a better option. Same idea but easier to connect to your weepers. Not sure on this idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW Toronto had a rebate plan for installing a sump pump. There might be similar options in other regions.

@Scuba Steve and @Allistonfjr that’s the thing…dad was saying that the weepers aren’t necessary and the sump will just drain from the surrounding ground under the house.

Personally I’m not convinced as I understand the water may not reach the sump at all or slowly.

Back
Top Bottom