Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 45 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

I miss hanging out in the old barn in the rain. Even if a house has a steel roof, there are way to many layers below you dont get the awesome.sound.
Skylight?

That barn makes me feel cold now just looking at it.

Rain on plastic or glass doesnt sound great.
I got used to the pitter patter of tiny droplets on it. You could always put an awning over a sliding glass door, and sit nearby.

Yeah, we splurged on the carpet and went with the “Guaranteed to survive everything short of a ground zero nuclear blast” option. I don’t wish to replace it for again hopefully until we retire and sell the house...and we’ll assess if it needs to be done again at that point to make it marketable. That’s probably another 15-20 years out so I won’t let it concern me much in the meantime.
We did same, better quality is les expensive in the long run. Our dog is full time 4WD with studs - she scratches my garage floor when she launches. Cheap carpet would last a few months.
Great to see that barn getting tidied up and having a new life. As a former farm kid I feel some connection to rural properties and it hurts my heart to see so many formerly beautiful barns allowed to fall down neglected.
My brother in law is a farmer, he had 19th century barns in great working order -- tore both down to put up modern steel industrial boxes. As a city slicker I looked into those barns and saw the nostalgia of a 150 year old solid structure built by pioneers entirely from trees cleared from farm.

My brother in law saw 150 buildings that were taking him a few weeks each year to maintain, only 1/2 utilized as the second floor hay mow was obsolete, and in need of thousands of dollars of boards/roof and paint each year.

Mennonites came and disassembled the old barns piece by piece, then built the modern machine shed barns. He paid for all the material, the labor for disassembling and most of the reassembly was a barter for the building materials salvaged from the old barns.

Old barn boards are worth their weight in gold. I have a friend who bought an old farm and was taking down a barn as it was unsafe. She posted on Facebook she was looking for a demo company and wondered how much it would cost her. About 5 of us chimed in about the value of the boards and beams and she was quite surprised. Pretty sure she ended up with a tidy sum in her pocket and had the rest of the demo done as part of the deal to keep the salvage.

With a single car garage I wondered about a mini pit just big a deep enough to have a bike lift sitting flush. Trip hazard?? Legal??

With a single car garage I wondered about a mini pit just big a deep enough to have a bike lift sitting flush. Trip hazard?? Legal??
I thought the code issues were due to confined space. Obviously you wont be breathing the air in a 6" deep pit. Not sure about combustible vapour pool though. My garage has a staircase down that should be much worse than your proposed pit.

Not as exciting as some of your projects, but spent the weekend with my dad up at the cottage building a wood storage shed. Had a few trees come down the last few years, and just cut down a 70-90ft tree.

IMG_1887.jpg

Size is 8x6x8 (front) and will be putting up shingles next weekend as we ran out of energy and time before the snow started yesterday.

Not as exciting as some of your projects, but spent the weekend with my dad up at the cottage building a wood storage shed. Had a few trees come down the last few years, and just cut down a 70-90ft tree.

View attachment 45990

Size is 8x6x8 (front) and will be putting up shingles next weekend as we ran out of energy and time before the snow started yesterday.
Pressure treated framing, non-pressure treated decking?

Pressure treated framing, non-pressure treated decking?
LoL everyone asks that. Dad's decision. His cottage, his decision. I think we should've just all PT wood but he wanted it this way. Said it's because it's not touch the ground...but neither are any of the other pieces.

EDIT: Easy enough to change if it starts rotting, and then replace with PT. Might talk to him and rip it out next weekend before we start putting wood on. I need 2x4s here at home anyway and will find use for those.

View attachment 45990

We toll away at what we must. Good job helping Dad.

I will just leave this here tho as nobody gets to post stuff without being critiqued....

:)
20201123_092213.jpg

LoL everyone asks that. Dad's decision. His cottage, his decision. I think we should've just all PT wood but he wanted it this way. Said it's because it's not touch the ground...but neither are any of the other pieces.

EDIT: Easy enough to change if it starts rotting, and then replace with PT. Might talk to him and rip it out next weekend before we start putting wood on. I need 2x4s here at home anyway and will find use for those.
I wouldn't pull them up now. Once lumber becomes part of a project, it stays there until it dies. Yes, the floor may get soft in five years, deal with it then. A lot depends on how the wood is piled and whether leaves blow in and keep the floor wet.

We toll away at what we must. Good job helping Dad.

I will just leave this here tho as nobody gets to post stuff without being critiqued....

:)
View attachment 45991
Good call! Thanks! That's the main reason I stayed...he's 67...still thinks he can build the world on his own but I'm not comfortable having him up 8ft in the air without anyone around.

Heh heh heh.....

67 isnt old.....

Wait....my kids have been helping me alot more lately.....
The man's got more energy than I do....and 1,000,000x more skill level than I do. So learning something new, spending time with dad, chilling at the cottage....only negative is the kids and wife stayed home...but I slept all night! WIN-WIN!

@crankcall Way closer than Muskoka. Parents bought in Wasaga 20 years ago for 65k. Only thing I wish was we were on the water, but can't have it all.

I've been trying to get myself and the house into the 90's.
Picked up an android box yesterday.
My ten y/o lg 60"plasma is likely my problem.

Through bell fibe, everything Looks fine.
With the new android box, fast motion, i.e. nfl football / crawlers etc are jerky.
There were 3 boxes available. $100, $150 $250.
(Supposed to be the best, I bought the latter)
Will a 2020 tv eliminate this?
Thanks.

My parents helped their neighbour clean up what is left of his barn last weekend. It was serviceable but in rough shape. The windstorm last week popped half the roof off (almost hit the neighbours house over 200' away). Also wiped out a lot of his trees. Poor guy. He is probably in his last year, his mom died this year (in his house) and now the family farm is in tatters and he doesn't have the energy or money to repair it.

Back
Top Bottom