Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 98 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

I have no clue what this is saying lol
At least the fitting on top is designed for armored cable (BX/MC). Not sure about the others. Not sure why he put the red insulators in. I've definitely seen worse. Access panel and covered box is better than half the work I have seen from ticketed sparkies.

Those fittings are designed for metal armoured cable (has a metal spiral looking sheath) ...that flexible un-armoured cable uses different fittings
This stuff...

image.jpg

I though the Kevin thing was a take off from South Park, sounds similar, either way he musta done some work at my house, found similar kinda solutions, most of which is gone now.

At least the fitting on top is designed for armored cable (BX/MC). Not sure about the others. Not sure why he put the red insulators in. I've definitely seen worse. Access panel and covered box is better than half the work I have seen from ticketed sparkies.
Yeah at least you have access to the Junction Box, which is part of code. But those plumbing feeds... :unsure: :unsure:
No wonder @mimico_polak doesn't have time to ride, between home and cottage projects who would..:LOL:😬
(there is off season for those things...)

Yeah at least you have access to the Junction Box, which is part of code. But those plumbing feeds... :unsure: :unsure:
No wonder @mimico_polak doesn't have time to ride, between home and cottage projects who would..:LOL:😬
(there is off season for those things...)
And add 2 little tots to that equation and time to myself is fleeting lol

Teach them plumbing :)
Wish my previous owner "John" had learned plumbing.
edit: Notice anything missing? Hot water is dripping.
E9Y7753l.jpg

Last edited:
We're trying to find a great plumber.

First plumber came to fix dishwasher, I was out at the time. All the time he was here, he didn't realize that I'd turned off the water to it under the sink.

Second one was called to replace some cartridges in the old Costco sinks that John had put in. He said they were no-name Chinese junk (couldn't find the name I guess), and we'd need to replace the whole set of taps, which we will. Just not with him.

Third will hopefully be able to shut off the main, fix the leaky shut off to the fridge filter, add shut offs to the ensuite sinks, install the new low flush toilets, one with a bidet, and make sure the air valves are functional. Perhaps, even fix the leaky outdoor faucet.

Shhh, don't tell my wife. She hasn't noticed yet.
I need to get another couple of coats of compound on the ceiling when she's out.
xNj6Nhkl.jpg
dr1TM8El.jpg

I’m wanting to change the sliding patio door. I got a couple quotes but holy **** they came back way more expensive than I expected. That seems to be the case with all work getting quoted these days.

I’d like to do the work myself and I’m reasonably confident I can, but as I’ve never done it before I’m hesitant. If something doesn’t go as planned it’s a real PITA having a 6ft square in the wall to the outdoors.

Door is standard size so no custom work needed. Any experts here with advice?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I’m wanting to change the sliding patio door. I got a couple quotes but holy **** they came back way more expensive than I expected. That seems to be the case with all work getting quoted these days.

I’d like to do the work myself and I’m reasonably confident I can, but as I’ve never done it before I’m hesitant. If something doesn’t go as planned it’s a real PITA having a 6ft square in the wall to the outdoors.

Door is standard size so no custom work needed. Any experts here with advice?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
IIRC @Gary was throwing out some door/window replacement wisdom earlier in this thread.

Measure twice, cut once.
If you're reasonably confident, you'll get it done. Be absolutely sure the new door is the right size, and opens left 》right or right 》left, before removing your existing door.

Measure twice, cut once.
If you're reasonably confident, you'll get it done. Be absolutely sure the new door is the right size, and opens left 》right or right 》left, before removing your existing door.
So..what you are saying is, if I have doubts about my ability, the door will sense it and it will never fit properly?

Measure twice, cut once.

Thanks for the input Gary

I’ll probably give it a go, it doesn’t seem overly complex but I hate scrambling last minute trying to figure out what went wrong.

Any estimate on overall installation time? Obviously it can vary and I would start early morning to give myself as much time as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

So..what you are saying is, if I have doubts about my ability, the door will sense it and it will never fit properly?
But you said you'd be reasonably confident. I don't doubt your ability. If you didn't think you could do it, you'd have never asked!
My door (and every window) here has a 3" sill, sides and top. Door appeared to be mounted "up to" the inside trim, which is the norm. Winds up, the trim is dovetailed / mounted to the vinyl on this f'n house. It all, trim & door (and all my windows) was installed as 1 unit 20 yrs ago. There's no way of knowing (I'm aware of) before tearing apart. Luckily, I had a buddy with more door exp than me helping. The new door is now flush with the inside wall, no more inside trim.

Thanks for the input Gary

I’ll probably give it a go, it doesn’t seem overly complex but I hate scrambling last minute trying to figure out what went wrong.

Any estimate on overall installation time? Obviously it can vary and I would start early morning to give myself as much time as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
I was planning 1 hour for mine. We got 'er done in about five iirc.

Back
Top Bottom