Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 75 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Complementary pic

1ac79a63a70be221d29025bc6d9f06fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice.

My framing projects have always been small. A dozen or two 2X4's etc. Some people spend an hour at HD or Lowes eyeballing every 2X4 to make sure it's straight as a die and then loose pile them on the garage floor for a month and wonder why they look like skis when needed for the wall.

If I get the wall framed the same or next day the pieces hold each other straight while the wood acclimates.

What is the best way to store 2X4's for a week or so if the supply situation is iffy? Clamped and stickered? A few 3" screws with no stickers?

No work on the house at present.

Cut down about an acre of weed trees the last 3 weekends.

Have enough firewood for 5 winters now.

Next weekend have an excavator booked for ripping the 50 or stumps out and will use it to improve some drainage across the property.

Next weekend have an excavator booked for ripping the 50 or stumps out and will use it to improve some drainage across the property.

with the price of lumber you could be a millionaire

I’ve been toying with getting one of these to free up from floor space.
How much height do you need? I’ve got 12’ to work with...

One of the main reasons I went with Bendpak was because of the easily available information such as this (just don't forget to account for lifting the runways to clear the locks when raising/lowering:

1620756356628.png

Same here. Excavators coming in a week or two to finish ours hopefully. Most stumps already taken out but wife pointed out another dozen trees so I took those down. Thankfully my farmer neighbour lets me toss trees/stumps in his woods.

Same here. Excavators coming in a week or two to finish ours hopefully. Most stumps already taken out but wife pointed out another dozen trees so I took those down. Thankfully my farmer neighbour lets me toss trees/stumps in his woods.

Where are you located, I know some people that might want to take the lumber off your neighbour’s yard

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Makes sense, just thought if there was any chance you were looking to get rid of it I know plenty of people that would use it

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Speaking of cutting down trees, I have 3 that I want to get rid of. Anyone here able to do it, or recommend someone? Port Credit area.
My neighbour is having his tree cut down....$800. Credit Woodlands.

Speaking of cutting down trees, I have 3 that I want to get rid of. Anyone here able to do it, or recommend someone? Port Credit area.
I don't know the rules in Port Credit. Some municipalities would require an arborist to sign off if you took three in a year. Fines are no joke for a homeowner that doesn't follow the rules (they are normally a joke for developers). One of my neighbours cut a few trees in EP land and got a $25,000 fine (not Port Credit, I have no idea what they do down there).

I don't know the rules in Port Credit. Some municipalities would require an arborist to sign off if you took three in a year. Fines are no joke for a homeowner that doesn't follow the rules (they are normally a joke for developers). One of my neighbours cut a few trees in EP land and got a $25,000 fine (not Port Credit, I have no idea what they do down there).
PEEL region allows 1-2 trees per year to be taken down without a permit. But 3 seems a tad much without a sign off by an arborist.

maybe @shanekingsley can chime in?

@Relax let me know if you’d like me to get the contractors name. He’s done a few trees in the area and did my other neighbours massive tree last year in no time. Great service, zero damage, happy neighbours all around.

In Toronto if the tree is over a certain diameter it can only be cut down if it has been certified as diseased. The fee is IIRC $350. When the tree is cut down you must plant a new one of the exact species and it has to live at least two years. Five figure fines if you cut without a permit.

In Toronto if the tree is over a certain diameter it can only be cut down if it has been certified as diseased. The fee is IIRC $350. When the tree is cut down you must plant a new one of the exact species and it has to live at least two years. Five figure fines if you cut without a permit.
I like the Aurora by-law (seems similar to Peel). Anything under a certain size is not a tree and you can do whatever you want. Over that size you are allowed two a year with no paperwork. More than two in a year requires an arborist to sign off. Provides reasonable protection for the canopy without a ton of stupid overhead.

I can't remember which municipality it was but about five years ago, one was going to follow Torontos route with huge fees and municipality could say no to any or all requests. The month leading up the the enactment was a bloodbath with people clearcutting everything to avoid having their private property being restricted by bureaucracy. The municipality hadn't even fathomed that as an unintended consequence. They probably lost more canopy in that month than in decades of normal activity.

Last year when I checked, Peel allowed 3 trees. No special requirements.

Did this just change? It says 3 or more requires a permit (they are more than 6"). I was talking to the guy that cut down my neighbor's trees last year, and we we were talking about 4 trees, one of which was on my other neighbor's property. He brought up the 3 tree limit, then realized since one was on another property, it was fine.

Did this just change? It says 3 or more requires a permit (they are more than 6"). I was talking to the guy that cut down my neighbor's trees last year, and we we were talking about 4 trees, one of which was on my other neighbor's property. He brought up the 3 tree limit, then realized since one was on another property, it was fine.

Well that blows. I would definitely take two one year and one the next.

I can get behind planting another in its place, but not the same species. In my case, I have two Austrian pines that have diplodia tip blight (diagnosed by an arborist) and half of each tree is dead, with a pile of dead needles constantly collecting underneath and killing the grass. It's because they're not native to the area, and don't do well here. Planting another would result in the same dead tree eventually.

I can get behind planting another in its place, but not the same species. In my case, I have two Austrian pines that have "something"-blight and half the tree is dead. It's because they're not native to the area, and don't do well here. Planting another would result in the same dead tree eventually.
Well if they are dying that may get you out of the fee but having Greyghost sign off that they are dying probably isn't going to help your cause. Hiring a proper tree company (preferably with an arborist) should get the paperwork through the city with minimal hassle.

Back
Top Bottom