Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 58 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

If you had truss not joists, you just lay a 4x4 across the bottom chords. Spreads the load, allows a through bolt, doesnt put holes in your truss, etc.
Ah gotcha. Nope, not possible. Joists all the way through, finished ceiling, and I would have to drill a hole in the joists to run the loop through. I wish I had a higher garage ceiling, but not possible.

If you decide to drill through a floor joist/ceiling joist to hang anything , try and cross drill near the top of the joist and use hanger straps if needed so in theory your hanging weight on a 2x9 portion of a 2x10 or 2x7 portion of a 2x8 not at the bottom on a 2x1 or 2x2 .

@mimico , your an engineer so this is probably not news to you, I'm amazed at people hanging a workout heavy bag on two lag screws into the bottom 2x4 chord of a truss assembly , because the hanging kit came with two 5/16 screws.....

If you decide to drill through a floor joist/ceiling joist to hang anything , try and cross drill near the top of the joist and use hanger straps if needed so in theory your hanging weight on a 2x9 portion of a 2x10 or 2x7 portion of a 2x8 not at the bottom on a 2x1 or 2x2 .

@mimico , your an engineer so this is probably not news to you, I'm amazed at people hanging a workout heavy bag on two lag screws into the bottom 2x4 chord of a truss assembly , because the hanging kit came with two 5/16 screws.....
Thanks for that.

One thing I considered is building a frame for additional shelving, and basically make a channel for the cable off the top crossbeam.

Last option was to take a 2x6 or 2x8 and secure it to 3-4 joists before attaching the pulley.

One off lifts are one thing as they are watched for any sign of failure. If being used repetitively the fasteners would not end up being watched and could work loose. That is doubly dangerous if people are under the load and the load is constantly being worked.

IMO trusses aren't great for point loads. It's bad enough if a saddle is used but drilling them scares me.

Personally, I'm a compressive load guy. Given the option I avoid suspended loads or things hung from things.

This is the issue I’m trying to resolve....rack gets wobbly pretty quick with additional weight. Putting the bar in the back end helps the thing stay put so that helps.
EC0D5086-91A8-425A-8190-5D75ADAC8D0B.jpeg

stupid upside down photo.

Attachments

• BE59866C-D3B6-4243-BACA-E55259E72C77.jpeg
    BE59866C-D3B6-4243-BACA-E55259E72C77.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 4
This is the issue I’m trying to resolve....rack gets wobbly pretty quick with additional weight. Putting the bar in the back end helps the thing stay put so that helps.
View attachment 47021

stupid upside down photo.
So you dont want helpful comments like try mounting it to the floor instead of the ceiling?

I would tie the rack back into the wall. That gives you stability in every direction.

I’d prefer not to have to use the barbell as the point where it’s tied into. I even considered putting in a 2x3 connector beam between the uprights as it fits in perfectly into the hollow beams. But then I’d have to see about securing the rack to the floor. Just need to find a way to do it.

I’d prefer not to have to use the barbell as the point where it’s tied into. I even considered putting in a 2x3 connector beam between the uprights as it fits in perfectly into the hollow beams. But then I’d have to see about securing the rack to the floor. Just need to find a way to do it.
Just drill some holes in the floor amd use some expansion anchors if you never want it to move. I have some 1/2 and 5/8 if you want to pick a few up on the way to the cottage.

Oh man, if I could do it...I'd make it a 13x13 or so. 3/4 of it for the gym, and 1/4 for the office. Setup a nice heater in there and you're good all year round.

Gym in the garage is rough....5C yesterday. Makes for a quick workout.

@Joe Bass Which company?

for 25k I think I can build one that's fairly nice myself!
So for $250/sq ft, you don't get lighting? You need to step up to $450/sq ft for that? Cough.

They look nice and I'm sure they will sell some but man you could do a lot better for a lot less.

Heating/cooling will be a nightmare with all that glass (mini-split would probably work but it would use up valuable space on the only solid wall. 75% windows look nice but for a functional office, it helps to have storage and not have your monitors being blasted with light.

In a game of dirty dirty pool, they say that no permit is required. That means no gas/power/water allowed for 25K. Yikes. What an amazing office that is the same temperature as outside and has no power. You would be more productive and 25K ahead to sit on a muskoka chair on your lawn with your laptop.

So for $250/sq ft, you don't get lighting? You need to step up to $450/sq ft for that? Cough.

They look nice and I'm sure they will sell some but man you could do a lot better for a lot less.

Heating/cooling will be a nightmare with all that glass (mini-split would probably work but it would use up valuable space on the only solid wall. 75% windows look nice but for a functional office, it helps to have storage and not have your monitors being blasted with light.

In a game of dirty dirty pool, they say that no permit is required. That means no gas/power/water allowed for 25K. Yikes. What an amazing office that is the same temperature as outside and has no power. You would be more productive and 25K ahead to sit on a muskoka chair on your lawn with your laptop.

OK how about $42.50

Yup. Agree 100% with you @GreyGhost ... wife wants to buy a large umbrella for the deck....that would work as a workspace LoL. Or the gazebo can be outfitted with a desk, extension cord and some noise cancelling headphones and work just as well.

I’ll see what office says about WFH but if we continue at this pace, I can literally buy a shed with a wider door and still use that as my office outdoor.

No permit required my ass. Like everyone here told me....get electricity to it and BOOM permit needed.

I just need to figure out the accessory building parts. So far we have a gazebo, kids playground, and a 3 walled shed that connects to the house. And I believe I can have 2 or 3 accessory buildings depending on my total lot size.

The price is crazy, really geared towards the "deep pockets but does not know which end of the hammer to hold" crowd.

I was thinking about building something like that for the motorcycle(s). You can even be 18X6 (or 13.5X8) and without a permit. Open out french doors down down the one end, door/ramp on the one end. Radiant electric heat when you want it. All said and done 4K for nice materials...5K would be hard to spend.

The price is crazy, really geared towards the "deep pockets but does not know which end of the hammer to hold" crowd.

I was thinking about building something like that for the motorcycle(s). You can even be 18X6 (or 13.5X8) and without a permit. Open out french doors down down the one end, door/ramp on the one end. Radiant electric heat when you want it. All said and done 4K for nice materials...5K would be hard to spend.

I can't recall what mine cost 30 years ago but the poured concrete floor added a chunk. OSB with vinyl siding, eaves troughs, soffit& facia all add up. As soon as it was finished my young daughter wanted to sleep in it like a cottage. My wife joined her. I heard them come in about midnight. Do you have any idea how big the shadow of a spider is when it walks in front of a lantern?

Stupid plumbing drain question(s).... From my research it looks like in Ontario (maybe Canada) ABS pipes are not permitted below grade (below basement floor) and possibly PVC is not above? Above grade it is the opposite, ABS only and no PVC? I would not only like to know what but also why, I have been doing a tonne of research and I find a lot of differing information mostly because code is different in different places (US, various states, Canada, various provinces).
  • Is my above statement(s) correct?
  • If so why no ABS underground (I have seen claims about oil leaching out of the pipe material into gound soil but really no good reason IMO....)?
  • Is so why no PVC above ground?
  • I have cast iron stacks, maybe can only ABS can support the weight, but that does not explain no PVC in general?
  • It can be done (joining the two) but most jurisdictions want to keep ABS to PVC junctions to a min, makes sense to use one or the other would it not???

Stupid plumbing drain question(s).... From my research it looks like in Ontario (maybe Canada) ABS pipes are not permitted below grade (below basement floor) and possibly PVC is not above? Above grade it is the opposite, ABS only and no PVC? I would not only like to know what but also why, I have been doing a tonne of research and I find a lot of differing information mostly because code is different in different places (US, various states, Canada, various provinces).
  • Is my above statement(s) correct?
  • If so why no ABS underground (I have seen claims about oil leaching out of the pipe material into gound soil but really no good reason IMO....)?
  • Is so why no PVC above ground?
  • I have cast iron stacks, maybe can only ABS can support the weight, but that does not explain no PVC in general?
  • It can be done (joining the two) but most jurisdictions want to keep ABS to PVC junctions to a min, makes sense to use one or the other would it not???
I have only ever seen abs in Canada above and below ground.

Sent from my couch using my thumbs

Back
Top Bottom