Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 475 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Attic space like this... my (feels like) never ending project.

Looks great! I want to turn my attic into yours at some point. Mine appears to be near the same size.

There is a lot of steps before I'd be able to get there though - I don't even know where I'd start. I'd want to add a dormer so I can have a window up there, so I'd want to do the roof at the same time, and then spray foam insulation, and then HVAC ducting, stairs, and I'd need a bigger electrical panel cause my 100a panel is full, and the list goes on...I'd need to win the lottery

Attic space like this... my (feels like) never ending project.
Wait a sec…so you’re telling me I can actually make my attic useful for something other than dead air?

Not like I need more storage for junk…but it would need to start with a larger opening as right now it’s a 2x2 access hatch…

Wife is bored with the current chiminea…anyone have recommendations for repainting it? There’s no food being cooked on it, but probably something not too toxic.

I know there are bbq paints, but would those be ok for an open flame chiminra?

It’s got grating on all side, appears to be aluminum / light steel.

Wife is bored with the current chiminea…anyone have recommendations for repainting it? There’s no food being cooked on it, but probably something not too toxic.

I know there are bbq paints, but would those be ok for an open flame chiminra?

It’s got grating on all side, appears to be aluminum / light steel.
They should be fine for the outside of the chimenea. I suspect paint on the inside would flake off but I'd probably try it anyway as it may last if you don't build raging fires. The first time I burned it, I would not have the kids around and run it pretty hot to make sure the paint is cured and fumes shouldn't come off in the future.

It’s all fun fixing the “attic” space up if it’s set to take living loads. Don’t start drywalling and adding thousands of pounds if it’s not setup for that . Cautionary tale .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
The 2X4s ceiling joists that were there were barely holding up the ceiling, no way they would have supported the attic space above.

There’s trees around they can climb and make their way over. I technically can’t cut those branches as they’re Peel Region Trees.

I know you can't cut the whole tree down, but I prune mine. I did submit a request for them to prune the branches that are touching the overhead cables. That was 2 years ago, still hasn't been done. Although they did show up and remove a bunch of lower branches so I lost a bit of privacy.

EDIT: Just saw the bylaw, guess I've been a bad boy...

I know you can't cut the whole tree down, but I prune mine. I did submit a request for them to prune the branches that are touching the overhead cables. That was 2 years ago, still hasn't been done. Although they did show up and remove a bunch of lower branches so I lost a bit of privacy.

EDIT: Just saw the bylaw, guess I've been a bad boy...
Ya...I called 3-1-1 'hey my branch fell and almost hit my car and kids'.

They came by at some point and got rid of the branch...but no further action. Second branch in 2-3 years that came down. Both about 1m away from the car.

Mini-splits...

We are looking at installing a four zone. The house is hot water heat and we want AC and heat pump to reduce boiler use. Any thoughts beyond what was covered in this thread before. Does anyone here install or has a recommendation (PM me on this one)?

Mini-split...

We are looking at installing a four zone. Any thoughts beyond what was covered in this thread before. Does anyone here install or has a recommendation?
Pay attention. I think every mini-split requires evacuation prior to releasing the refrigerant and they specify the additional refrigerant required based on line length. Many installers just crack the valve and collect the cheque. It will work ok but won't last as long nor be as efficient or effective.

The ugliest part of most mini-split installs is the exterior chaos from the multiple lines sets. Make sure you have a good idea of what the installer plans (eg path and enclosure/no enclosure, etc) and have it documented in writing. Make sure condenser location is in compliance with by-laws (I'd just get it in the contract that it must be installed in compliance and then it is on the company to relocate if you are found in violation).

It’s all fun fixing the “attic” space up if it’s set to take living loads. Don’t start drywalling and adding thousands of pounds if it’s not setup for that . Cautionary tale .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Where else will I store my grand piano and gun safe?

Yeah I guess I'd have to sister the joists up with 2x8's.

Mini-splits...

We are looking at installing a four zone. The house is hot water heat and we want AC and heat pump to reduce boiler use. Any thoughts beyond what was covered in this thread before. Does anyone here install or has a recommendation (PM me on this one)?
I'll ask my cousin tonight and let you know. He's had multiple installed in his rental and is happy with the installers.

All I know is that it's hot as f*ck up in my attic when the sun is out. Yesterday I could do max about 3mins up there if I was moving around, 5-10 if I was sitting in one spot. Must have been 40-50 degC up there. The aluminum ladder was hot to touch going up/down. Poked my head up there this afternoon and was like this can wait until it's colder.

Really took Saturday for granted when it was 25degC up there.

All I know is that it's hot as f*ck up in my attic when the sun is out. Yesterday I could do max about 3mins up there if I was moving around, 5-10 if I was sitting in one spot. Must have been 40-50 degC up there. The aluminum ladder was hot to touch going up/down. Poked my head up there this afternoon and was like this can wait until it's colder.

Really took Saturday for granted when it was 25degC up there.
A fan helps a lot.

For quick trips to the attic I don't wear a mask but if I'm going up to do a bunch of work my lungs feel better after if I was wearing a mask.

A fan helps a lot.

For quick trips to the attic I don't wear a mask but if I'm going up to do a bunch of work my lungs feel better after if I was wearing a mask.
I went up there the first time for about 15mins without a dust mask but came down coughing, so I wear an N95 dust mask, especially since I can't confirm any of the different layers of insulation is asbestos or not.

I will try a fan next time

I went up there the first time for about 15mins without a dust mask but came down coughing, so I wear an N95 dust mask, especially since I can't confirm any of the different layers of insulation is asbestos or not.

I will try a fan next time

If it's that dusty up there, wouldn't a fan make things worse?

Maybe try going in the morning after it's cooled off overnight? Especially with the cooler temps this week.

Got a interlock patio on the side of the house, what is your go-to for handling weeds. Besides crawling around...
Always looking to work smarter...

Got a interlock patio on the side of the house, what is your go-to for handling weeds. Besides crawling around...
Always looking to work smarter...
I've been going with vinegar/soap/salt for interlock. Or fire. Fire takes longer and comes back faster but is more fun.

If it's that dusty up there, wouldn't a fan make things worse?

Maybe try going in the morning after it's cooled off overnight? Especially with the cooler temps this week.
The fan makes airborne particles a little worse but when attic temps get well over 100F, moving air makes it a lot more comfortable as your sweat has a chance to evaporate.

Back
Top Bottom