Elliptical Machine Purchase - New or Used? What to look for | GTAMotorcycle.com

Elliptical Machine Purchase - New or Used? What to look for

nakkers

Site Supporter
Looking to avoid dropping big bucks on something. Wife and I enjoy the commercial equipment at Good Life but, that’s been out for a while. We have space for it. So many different makes, how do you choose?

Fitness Depot will be glad to take our money. I’d rather buy from someone that doesn’t have the room, don’t use it. Looking to spends hundreds instead of thousands.

Recommendations? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Subscribed...literally looking at new machines 5min ago. Ideally used. We have the space (but would prefer something on the more compact side) also and debating b/w elliptical and treadmill.

I narrowed my search to front drive over rear drive to keep the size of the machine a little more compact.

See different makes such as Vision, Horizon, Sole which appear to have similar design, materials and price points. Same variance in terms of display model, programs, features etc.

Just want to have a decent machine that won’t become a dust collector or break down and need to find parts from some obscure source or can’t find them at all.

I know it will need something at sometime down the road. It has moving parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry guys - I gave mine away for free to another member here last summer.

I would suggest a used unit for something like this - getting parts can sometimes be a challenge for older models though.

Livestrong models have good reviews and are mostly front drive. Watch kijiji.

when I was going to the Y regularly I did my cardio on an elliptical
I found the rear flywheel machines to have a more natural motion with the treads
they moved in a true ellipse whereas I found the front flywheel machines to have more up/down motion

maybe that was particular to the machines they had there, don't know
when I bought my own it was a rear flywheel unit for that reason

I bought a ProForm Smart Strider that folded for storage
used it for a few years and never had an issue with it - seemed to be of decent quality for a home unit

sold it in February, otherwise I'd have donated it to you nakkers

Last edited:
sold it in February, otherwise I'd have donated it to you nakkers
What am I? Chopped liver? LoL

We were considering an elliptical, and even looked at the Bowflex MAX Trainer but we think for our needs (and particularly mother in law) the treadmill is the best option. She's not overly flexible and with her heart condition a gentle walk every day inside / outside would be the best solution.

Thanks all. Really do appreciate the feedback, comments, advice and gestures.

From the Internet research, Johnson Health Tec appears to manufacture several brands so, that makes sense from some of the equipment I’ve come across.

Precor commercial equipment is found pretty much every gym I’ve encountered over the last 20 years. Great product but, pricey for even the personal use stuff.

Considering this will hold my leathers and helmet in the future, it doesn’t need to be too special. Kidding.

I may reconsider the front drive/rear drive specs.

Treadmill isn’t helpful due to poor knees. I can support myself on a motorcycle etc but, any running just makes my knees swell and take me out of commission after. I’ve had both knees meniscus surgery and the rehab has gone well but, running is still out. Cycling and other exercises are good.

We walk the dogs daily and get out for fresh air but, need better cardio to work off the winter weight. Trips back and forth to the fridge combined with PJ bottoms as regular wear are causing fear of returning to the office and the need to wear regular pants or suit. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do consider an airdyne or some sort instead.
Tougher, harder, marginally less floor space as well.
Picked an older one up off kijiji a few years back for $50.
Cleaned up the chain, put some bike lube on the chain, been working flawlessly since.

Ended up with a Vision Fitness x40 and it’s very good quality. Doesn’t have incline but, other other options.

Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom