Elephant in the Covid room | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Elephant in the Covid room

Status
Not open for further replies.
While vaccine procurement is easy to criticise, we're in the same boat as everyone except the UK and US.

The UK only looks good a) because they have been going nuts with the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine (it's home grown, so almost patriotic to get there) and b) they had a huge wave around Christmas that put them in lockdown for months and motivated vaccine uptake. They were among the worst in Europe for ages beforehand.

The US has put the screws to Pfizer and Moderna and used their purchasing power to dictate them getting the lions share of doses. It sucks for everyone else, but that's what you get when your economy is (for now) still the biggest. If I were American, I'd be upset with anything less. All the other mid-tier countries (Canada, most of Europe, Japan, etc.) are struggling to get enough Pfizer and Moderna doses. Inexplicably, Chile was apparently up there with Israel (who volunteered data to get to the head of the line) and some wealthy oil states, though I'm not sure why.

Politically, the real beef I have is with the Ontario response, which has been wishy-washy and consistently two weeks late on almost everything, which only results in a much bigger eventual need to lock down because of letting everything spread. Everyone who was paying attention to Italy could see what was coming right at the beginning last March, and while the BC premier was telling families to stay home for the holiday, Dougie was telling people to go away and have fun. Then it was always wait until it was too late, then respond. Every single expert was screaming about locking down again at the beginning of December, but instead they waited until Christmas to do anything meaningful. Even worse, the same folks were warning about the third wave with the new variants AT THE SAME TIME AS THE PROVINCE WAS REOPENING. I'm no expert, but the same pattern has repeated over and over and I have been able to predict it every time (not because I'm smart or psychic, but because I read articles quoting experts, unlike the provincial government apparently).

Part of the problem is the goofy Scrappy-Doo home spun platitudes ("I'll be on them like an 800 lb gorilla, Scoob!") in place of meaningful information. Their provincial medical officer is a terrible communicator, and awful at getting points across about why compliance is so necessary etc. The mixed messages about zones, open for business, etc are impossible to decipher. For example, part of the reason big box stores are considered safer is the added air volume and powerful air exchangers can make for a less risky shared space than a random small business with zero info about fresh air introduction. But nobody is communicating this, leaving people to puzzle out the logic. Insisting on allowing restaurants to be open for seating is another mystery, as the overall cost ends up so much more than just keeping them closed. We're not contact tracing at all, and minimal new information has been released about how things are being spread for months.

It doesn't help that the border has been porous at best, introducing global variants with alarming speed. Part of the reason Australia and New Zealand have been so successful has been their ability to control incoming passengers and stop the selfish idiots from dodging quarantine. To me, that's where the feds have been truly culpable, with similar half measures and little real action.

As it stands, we're in a bad spot of American/Western/consumerism/individualism cultural elements that make us collectively awful at making even small personal sacrifices (like the US), combined with insufficient size to demand front-of-line service for vaccines (unlike the US). The best we can hope for is no more variants and enough folks grasping the big number data over the emotional impact anecdotal stuff. I was optimistic in January, but I am not optimistic now...
They could have started by signing better contracts. They seem to have no problem throwing money at problems, I suspect the public would forgive them for overpaying to get a contract with better conditions.

As I recall the government is still fighting to keep those details secret, claiming the prices paid are covered by NDA or something. Fine; redact the pricing, I want to see what qty they were on the hook for and when.
Oh look, we’re on par with Poland.

They could have started by signing better contracts. They seem to have no problem throwing money at problems, I suspect the public would forgive them for overpaying to get a contract with better conditions.

As I recall the government is still fighting to keep those details secret, claiming the prices paid are covered by NDA or something. Fine; redact the pricing, I want to see what qty they were on the hook for and when.
Im more interested in the delivery schedule, and the penalties for delayed or missed shipments / quotas.

I get really ****** when a person pays more taxes then 90% of the rest of the country makes in a wage.

I don’t mind paying taxes but i hate when they are being stolen from me and used in ******** schemes for political gain
Tell me about it....when I was FIFO I think I paid 50-60k in tax per year....that hurt. That hurt very very much.

I’m sure ‘glad’ I don’t have that ‘problem’ this year.

And he ran on transparency!

We all know that is just smoke. The gov't does not want any part of those contracts available as it will make them look grossly irresponsible/incompetent on every level. If they ever got legally forced to release, they would redact what was covered by the NDA and we'd have a bunch of black pages with no content whatsoever. It's hard to argue that was excessive if nobody has access to the original to confirm. If somehow an escalation occured, they would just put something up for a no-confidence vote and force an election before the information ever gets light on it. Then the "new" gov't argues that anything in those files was the work of the previous gov't and no longer accessible or available for discussion. Anand gets shipped off to work in a foreign country with a huge salary.

Douggie is doing his update. I'll update this post occasionally.

Teachers in Peel and Toronto eligible for vaccine next week.
ICU admissions much worse than their worst-case prediction
State of emergency
Stay at home order for four weeks
Curbside pickup
Big-box essential items only (food, medicine, personal care items called out)
60 or over eligible for vaccine province wide
55 or over at pharmacies
He promises that better days are ahead
If feds deliver on vaccines, 40% of province will be vaccinated before end of lockdown.

Useless wanker reporters keep hammering doug on paid sick leave. Doug every time sends them to canada.ca/covid19 where paid sick leave is available. A few questions later, another reported again says, why doesn't Ontario have paid sick leave. Rinse and repeat. If you can't ask smart questions, keep your mouth shut.

Just in case anyone wondered if douggie was limiting the definition of essential, buying boats and watercraft is available 13 hours a day by appointment. I don't think he knows what essential means. Just give up and say here is the random collection of businesses that are winners and here is the random collection that are losers this time.

Link below to the rules as they exist now.

Last edited:
Pulled this from Vanity Fair as to why the vaccine from the U.S. was a loan:
"The contracts the Trump administration signed with the vaccine manufacturers prohibit the U.S. from sharing its surplus doses with the rest of the world. According to contract language Vanity Fair has obtained, the agreements with Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, and Janssen state: “The Government may not use, or authorize the use of, any products or materials provided under this Project Agreement, unless such use occurs in the United States” or U.S. territories.

The clauses in question are designed to ensure that the manufacturers retain liability protection, but they have had the effect of projecting the Trump administration’s America First agenda into the Biden era. “That is what has completely and totally prohibited the U.S. from donating or reselling, because it would be in breach of contract,” said a senior administration official involved in the global planning effort. “It is a complete and total ban. Those legal parameters must change before we do anything to help the rest of the world.”"

Vanity Fair Covid article

Fuzzz! So tomorrow I have scheduled to put new tires on my bike at GP. This should still be doable under the state of emergency?
I'm going to call them in a few minutes anyway to verify.

Make WFH mandatory :sleep:
Even when they do that, they holes are so large it doesn't matter. It is left up to the boss to interpret if they are an essential business and if they are, it is up to the boss to decide who is essential in the office. There is zero government oversight/auditing/hammer. If there is a complaint they talk to the boss, "ok, so you are working on a project for manufacturing/healthcare/... that is essential and for technology/secrecy/security reasons you require staff to work on site. Thanks for your time, it has been noted, continue as you were."

Make WFH mandatory :sleep:

Think this might be an employees need to man up and quit these kind of dumb jobs to bankrupt them.

And yes I'm aware of the millions of reasons why people don't quit, but if the government isn't doing anything about it....well, take matters in your own hands >=)

Even when they do that, they holes are so large it doesn't matter. It is left up to the boss to interpret if they are an essential business and if they are, it is up to the boss to decide who is essential in the office. There is zero government oversight/auditing/hammer. If there is a complaint they talk to the boss, "ok, so you are working on a project for manufacturing/healthcare/... that is essential and for technology/secrecy/security reasons you require staff to work on site. Thanks for your time, it has been noted, continue as you were."

I found the translation to this was either:

"We're technically inept. So if we can't work from home, you can't either."

or

"We don't trust you to do your work. I mean we did hire you, but we don't trust you, go **** yourself."

There are certain jobs where WFH isn't possible (audiologists, nurses, etc. come to mind); I'm only referring to jobs where it's obvious we don't need to be in the office.

^^
Lol the place I work at won't go bankrupt anytime soon

And how the heck do they expect to enforce this lockdown?

Think this might be an employees need to man up and quit these kind of dumb jobs to bankrupt them.

And yes I'm aware of the millions of reasons why people don't quit, but if the government isn't doing anything about it....well, take matters in your own hands >=)

I found the translation to this was either:

"We're technically inept. So if we can't work from home, you can't either."

or

"We don't trust you to do your work. I mean we did hire you, but we don't trust you, go **** yourself."

There are certain jobs where WFH isn't possible (audiologists, nurses, etc. come to mind); I'm only referring to jobs where it's obvious we don't need to be in the office.
I know sales staff that are required to work in the office (boss believes in everyone in the office, no real reason). All their work is done by phone/email.

I don't know about the software side, but for some levels of security on gov't contracts, you need a designated secure workspace with no outside connection/cameras and the work can never leave that space. I suspect some software development will have similar requirements. Even if you could make a secure tunnel to a remote workspace, they are worried about potential unwanted eyes (either passive leaks like cameras, listening devices, etc or active leaks like intentionally copying to a device, etc). It is hard and expensive to deploy this level of security to peoples houses. Are you willing to build a faraday cage with no windows around your workspace? All personal devices not allowed in. Not sure about the logistics of the tunnel as you'd obviously need a connection and any connection presents an attack vector (probably not likely but not something you want to lose your clearance over).

^^
Lol the place I work at won't go bankrupt anytime soon

And how the heck do they expect to enforce this lockdown?

Oh I forgot it's one of those "oligopoly my balls in your mouth" companies right? =(

Can still quit, force them to hire subpar workers, and just sit back and watch a trainwreck (government, banks, and utilities are examples of this lol)

I know sales staff that are required to work in the office (boss believes in everyone in the office, no real reason). All their work is done by phone/email.

I don't know about the software side, but for some levels of security on gov't contracts, you need a designated secure workspace with no outside connection/cameras and the work can never leave that space. I suspect some software development will have similar requirements. Even if you could make a secure tunnel to a remote workspace, they are worried about potential unwanted eyes (either passive leaks like cameras, listening devices, etc or active leaks like intentionally copying to a device, etc). It is hard and expensive to deploy this level of security to peoples houses. Are you willing to build a faraday cage with no windows around your workspace? All personal devices not allowed in. Not sure about the logistics of the tunnel as you'd obviously need a connection and any connection presents an attack vector (probably not likely but not something you want to lose your clearance over).

There are for sure legitimate edge cases (I don't know any personally.....but I'm pretty sure military software dev isn't gonna take weapon code home and/or have it on the cloud LOL.)

Douggie is doing his update. I'll update this post occasionally.

Teachers in Peel and Toronto eligible for vaccine next week.
ICU admissions much worse than their worst-case prediction
State of emergency
Stay at home order for four weeks
Curbside pickup
Big-box essential items only (food, medicine, personal care items called out)
60 or over eligible for vaccine province wide
55 or over at pharmacies
He promises that better days are ahead
If feds deliver on vaccines, 40% of province will be vaccinated before end of lockdown.

Useless wanker reporters keep hammering doug on paid sick leave. Doug every time sends them to canada.ca/covid19 where paid sick leave is available. A few questions later, another reported again says, why doesn't Ontario have paid sick leave. Rinse and repeat. If you can't ask smart questions, keep your mouth shut.

Just in case anyone wondered if douggie was limiting the definition of essential, buying boats and watercraft is available 13 hours a day by appointment. I don't think he knows what essential means. Just give up and say here is the random collection of businesses that are winners and here is the random collection that are losers this time.

Link below to the rules as they exist now.
Looks like they put a freeze on residential evictions as well.

Looks like they put a freeze on residential evictions as well.
That's another cesspool they keep kicking down the road while not appearing to be spending any time or effort on how to come out the other side. Pausing evictions makes sense but I have a suspicion that some tenants are taking advantage of the situation and not bothering to pay even if they have the means. Similarly, some landlords are stringing tenants along and then dropping the hammer while there are less safeguards in place. Protections/accommodations during this make sense but they should have spun up controls at the same time that dropped a huge hammer for bad faith abuses from either side.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom