Elephant in the Covid room | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Elephant in the Covid room

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if the courts are in a rock solid lockdown for the same period??? By the time the challenge was heard, it would be over and a legal exercise with little effect.
Some big shot would manage to get an injunction and we'd be done for.

Do big companies use labels?

Did you know all of Costco's Kirkland **** is just rebranded "high quality" goods? lol

If that's what you are referring to.

Yeah....we haven't seen the economical fallout.

I thought buying a place during this **** show was a good idea, but it won't be if the economy truly crashes (I swear it's mostly the little ppl/mom pop shops that got raped, but I don't know the economical effects of that in the long run.)
As a first step, more of the cash flow type transactions (groceries, lumber etc) send the profit to shareholders (and mostly out of the country) instead of Bob's hardware sponsoring the local baseball team and buying a new truck from the local dealership.

As a first step, more of the cash flow type transactions (groceries, lumber etc) send the profit to shareholders (and mostly out of the country) instead of Bob's hardware sponsoring the local baseball team and buying a new truck from the local dealership.

But does the HST on megacorps completely outweigh the little guys combined?

Again, not making judgment or feely conversation, there's just some uncomfortable obvious **** that sticks out =(

EDIT: As an example of pragmatism....Nunavut has an extremely bad tuberculosis problem. Our government sends a few ppl there (source: I know them.) They're never gonna send more and the ones sent know they can't solve the problem. What economic gains does the government get from solving an issue with a bunch of negative throughputs?

Might be the same principles we're operating with "**** the little businesses."

Last edited:
But does the HST on megacorps completely outweigh the little guys combined?

Again, not making judgment or feely conversation, there's just some uncomfortable obvious **** that sticks out =(
I don't know. The big companies have a lot more opportunity for "tax-efficiency" strategies. For instance, supply product to the store at the highest price possible so the tax burden for the store is low as input and output credits are almost balanced. One step up the chain, supply product to the DC on a similar strategy. If you're really dirty and run Apples game, one step further up is in a tax haven country where they buy all of the products as cheaply as possible and sell at a high price to the DC. That puts almost all of the taxable income in the tax haven. For a while, Apple Ireland bought and sold most of the ipods in the entire world even though the physical product never came within thousands of miles of the country.

Last edited:
Does Deco, the Ford family business, supply the labels?

I don't know, you tell me. I'm in software, not bullsitting (marketing) for money lol

Edit: wait, icwutudiddere now

Last edited:
I don't know. The big companies have a lot more opportunity for "tax-efficiency" strategies. For instance, supply product to the store at the highest price possible so the tax burden for the store is low as input and output credits are almost balanced. One step up the chain, supply product to the DC on a similar strategy. If you're really dirty and run Apples game, one step further up is in a tax haven country where they buy all of the products as cheaply as possible and sell at a high price to the DC. That puts almost all of the taxable income in the tax haven.

Valve/Steam is another funny example.

Steam is the biggest online video game distributor without contest. I've never paid taxes for a single game there lol. My account value is between $3,000 to...too high now that I'm looking at it. How many Canadian users dodged taxes on this? <_<

I'm pretty sure Google Play has no tax either.

But I'm inclined to believe the megacorps dodging taxes still result in more revenue than the mom and pop shops combined (ignoring the e-commerce stuff because Canada is technically retarded.)

I don't know. The big companies have a lot more opportunity for "tax-efficiency" strategies. For instance, supply product to the store at the highest price possible so the tax burden for the store is low as input and output credits are almost balanced. One step up the chain, supply product to the DC on a similar strategy. If you're really dirty and run Apples game, one step further up is in a tax haven country where they buy all of the products as cheaply as possible and sell at a high price to the DC. That puts almost all of the taxable income in the tax haven. For a while, Apple Ireland bought and sold most of the ipods in the entire world even though the physical product never came within thousands of miles of the country.

Some comments suggest the corporate taxes are getting lower almost everywhere. Where does the government make up the losses? Income tax or increased volume?

Some comments suggest the corporate taxes are getting lower almost everywhere. Where does the government make up the losses? Income tax or increased volume?

Is destroy the middle class in there somewhere? lol

In canada, land transfer tax is probably a reasonable percentage. On a "typical" (ha) 1M dollar house, that is $16,500 outside of Toronto and double that inside (and with TO house prices also ~double, four times that is realistic). I know people on their 3rd house in four years, that is more than 50K in land transfer tax. That likely exceeds their HST contribution.

Last edited:
moving from one million dollar house to another for me last year was a wash, except my 40K transfer tax, 40K to my agent, 3k in lawyers and about 3k in transfers of accounts and crap, 3k for movers . Somewhere there is a tax element.

My Corporate taxation has dropped in the last 5 yrs, while our profits have skyrocketed. But that's why to CFO is also a CA, who the F' wants to pay more taxes?? Almost everybody employed by the company pays income tax, HST on purchases, a variety of other taxation. We will gladly legally duck all corporate tax possible.

In canada, land transfer tax is probably a reasonable percentage. On a "typical" (ha) 1M dollar house, that is $33,000 outside of Toronto. I know people on their 3rd house in four years, that is more than 100K in land transfer tax.

I'm also inclined to believe this **** is gonna blow up.

For you older folk (40+), when did you buy your place?

Most of the guys I know bought in early 30s.....and we're in the $200k+ family income range (sorry, more uncomfortable ****.) Average in Toronto is half of that. Something smells fishy as ****.

moving from one million dollar house to another for me last year was a wash, except my 40K transfer tax, 40K to my agent, 3k in lawyers and about 3k in transfers of accounts and crap, 3k for movers . Somewhere there is a tax element.

My Corporate taxation has dropped in the last 5 yrs, while our profits have skyrocketed. But that's why to CFO is also a CA, who the F' wants to pay more taxes?? Almost everybody employed by the company pays income tax, HST on purchases, a variety of other taxation. We will gladly legally duck all corporate tax possible.

Yeah. I'm not pro taxes considering how much I lose on my paycheck. I will gladly, with zero guilt, use Steam, PSN, or Google Play to buy games over paying another 13% to a government that lacked the balls to deal with COVID right.

...plus I don't want to pay for government worker's pensions; not like we younger guys get pensions from work anymore lol

I'm also inclined to believe this **** is gonna blow up.

For you older folk (40+), when did you buy your place?

Most of the guys I know bought in early 30s.....and we're in the $200k+ family income range (sorry, more uncomfortable ****.) Average in Toronto is half of that. Something smells fishy as ****.
I rented until ~30 and then got married and bought a small house in the burbs for approx 4-5x one persons income. I would have bought a condo a few years earlier for my future wife to live in but she refused to live where I could afford to buy so instead she gave away tens of thousands in rent to live two blocks west and I kept building the downpayment for the future house. No kids for a few years so we hammered the mortgage. After kids, on the paying the mortgage plan.

I get really ****** when a person pays more taxes then 90% of the rest of the country makes in a wage.

I don’t mind paying taxes but i hate when they are being stolen from me and used in ******** schemes for political gain

I get really ****** when a person pays more taxes then 90% of the rest of the country makes in a wage.

I don’t mind paying taxes but i hate when they are being stolen from me and used in ******** schemes for political gain

You will hate all doctors lol

The doctors I know do try to dodge taxes though through corporate loopholes. I encourage this ****: they provide more value than the average government pencil pusher that really should be automated to hell but instead will receive a pension comfortable enough to retire on via tax player dollars =)

While vaccine procurement is easy to criticise, we're in the same boat as everyone except the UK and US.

The UK only looks good a) because they have been going nuts with the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine (it's home grown, so almost patriotic to get there) and b) they had a huge wave around Christmas that put them in lockdown for months and motivated vaccine uptake. They were among the worst in Europe for ages beforehand.

The US has put the screws to Pfizer and Moderna and used their purchasing power to dictate them getting the lions share of doses. It sucks for everyone else, but that's what you get when your economy is (for now) still the biggest. If I were American, I'd be upset with anything less. All the other mid-tier countries (Canada, most of Europe, Japan, etc.) are struggling to get enough Pfizer and Moderna doses. Inexplicably, Chile was apparently up there with Israel (who volunteered data to get to the head of the line) and some wealthy oil states, though I'm not sure why.

Politically, the real beef I have is with the Ontario response, which has been wishy-washy and consistently two weeks late on almost everything, which only results in a much bigger eventual need to lock down because of letting everything spread. Everyone who was paying attention to Italy could see what was coming right at the beginning last March, and while the BC premier was telling families to stay home for the holiday, Dougie was telling people to go away and have fun. Then it was always wait until it was too late, then respond. Every single expert was screaming about locking down again at the beginning of December, but instead they waited until Christmas to do anything meaningful. Even worse, the same folks were warning about the third wave with the new variants AT THE SAME TIME AS THE PROVINCE WAS REOPENING. I'm no expert, but the same pattern has repeated over and over and I have been able to predict it every time (not because I'm smart or psychic, but because I read articles quoting experts, unlike the provincial government apparently).

Part of the problem is the goofy Scrappy-Doo home spun platitudes ("I'll be on them like an 800 lb gorilla, Scoob!") in place of meaningful information. Their provincial medical officer is a terrible communicator, and awful at getting points across about why compliance is so necessary etc. The mixed messages about zones, open for business, etc are impossible to decipher. For example, part of the reason big box stores are considered safer is the added air volume and powerful air exchangers can make for a less risky shared space than a random small business with zero info about fresh air introduction. But nobody is communicating this, leaving people to puzzle out the logic. Insisting on allowing restaurants to be open for seating is another mystery, as the overall cost ends up so much more than just keeping them closed. We're not contact tracing at all, and minimal new information has been released about how things are being spread for months.

It doesn't help that the border has been porous at best, introducing global variants with alarming speed. Part of the reason Australia and New Zealand have been so successful has been their ability to control incoming passengers and stop the selfish idiots from dodging quarantine. To me, that's where the feds have been truly culpable, with similar half measures and little real action.

As it stands, we're in a bad spot of American/Western/consumerism/individualism cultural elements that make us collectively awful at making even small personal sacrifices (like the US), combined with insufficient size to demand front-of-line service for vaccines (unlike the US). The best we can hope for is no more variants and enough folks grasping the big number data over the emotional impact anecdotal stuff. I was optimistic in January, but I am not optimistic now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom