Ducati Monster 821 or BMW R NineT Pure | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ducati Monster 821 or BMW R NineT Pure

However, in an R-bike, the flywheel and tire are spinning transversely to each other. You will get power loss either way from a shaft or chain. Whether it happens at the flywheel or rear axle is academic. More weight penalty from a shaft than a chain.
That part is ridiculous and they do that for a reason too. It's so the bike doesn't tilt in on acceleration through corners and my K bike does that too.
Now you are going to tell me BMW's are heavy :/ what else is new, when I was 10 years old I thought they were ridden by giants.

I know BMWs are not as dependable.

Had my fair share of them (the cage type). Note in the table below the last 4 brands have Euro designed and built drivetrains (UK, Italy, Germany then Austria).

Reliability by brand (Consumer reports - sample size 12,300 motorcycles)
BrandPercent failed
Yamaha/Star11%
Suzuki12
Honda12
Kawasaki15
Victory17
Harley-Davidson26
Triumph29
Ducati33
BMW40
Can-Am42

Stats seem pretty accurate as far as my anecdotal evidence.

My RTW buddy has put on the same mileage on his S10 as my R12GS - about 250,000 kms. He has experienced *MUCH* less problems than I have.

Why were you looking at the BMW in the first place?
It's not a stupid bike to look at considering he has not ridden in 30 years and even then maybe not much :| they make it pretty easy.
You guys have the brand new bike already breaking on him, give it a break, they are not that fragile.

That part is ridiculous and they do that for a reason too. It's so the bike doesn't tilt in on acceleration through corners and my K bike does that too.
Now you are going to tell me BMW's are heavy :/ what else is new, when I was 10 years old I thought they were ridden by giants.

You're all over the place. We were discussing power-train loss, not shaft-jacking.

I know BMW's are heavy. I've owned several.

You're all over the place. We were discussing power-train loss, not shaft-jacking.

I know BMW's are heavy. I've owned several.
No you were all over the place you listed several different BMW technologies, get them straight! He is looking at the boxer twin not the F not the whatever lol I still own my first, why did you need to go through several?
The jack shafting has to do with the rear end and you were talking about the mono-shock which deals with the nose dive during braking.

I like the bmw scrambler retro styling and overall concept (shaft drive/ boxter engine). The Ducati monster is not a scrambler however its naked style and ride position is awesome. Both are simple to hop on daily or just run to the store or turn it up find some twisties ( not that we have in south ont )

Hense my original question regarding the bmw or Ducati. we all are aware that the big 4 are very reliable and everywhere, however what about the bmw and ducati these LOOK and spec incredibly but are they reliable, do I consider the dealer proximity to home. It seems Dealers have well stocked Ducati models on show rooms and BMW not so much.

That is what I'm concerned about everyone keeps telling me stick to the big 4. I'm asking if anyone has had a issue or a reason not to get a Ducati, BMW or even Triumph. For what ever reason those brands seem to get me.

Bikes are emotional purchases. Get what inspires you. Some of the responses comparing the two are about right. The beemer is a different machine than the monster. Their approach to making smiles per mile are different.

Street triple is another great choice. Once things lighten up a bit, I’d say go out and do some test rides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2020%20BMW%20R%20nineT%20Pure%20Exterior%20Front%20View%20Picture.jpg

its a very nice, easy to ride solo bike with front forks that will be easy to service, standard upright ergonomics and an inherently vibration free engine layout.

Last edited:
Ducati-Monster-821-side-profile.jpg
it's a sportbike, hence higher insurance too.

Either bike will be dependable with proper maintenance. That maintenance will cost more with a Ducati or BMW than one from the big 4. That doesn't mean they are unreliable or time bombs.
Both will serve your needs, buy whichever one tickles you the most.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

The R9T has the well sorted and final evolution of the air/oil cooled Boxer (Camhead)

The better comparison for the R9T would be the Ducati Scrambler 1100 as both are retro bikes.

The Monster 821 is quite underwhelming and would be tempted to look at the New F900r instead or the Triumph street triple

My previous BMW F800r traded in with 90000 kms was as as reliable as my Yamaha Fz1.

I was messing around online insurance quoting and the bmw was actually $400 more per year then the ducati for me. Obviously it will vary for different riders but I wasnt expecting that.

I like the bmw scrambler retro styling and overall concept (shaft drive/ boxter engine). The Ducati monster is not a scrambler however its naked style and ride position is awesome. Both are simple to hop on daily or just run to the store or turn it up find some twisties ( not that we have in south ont )

Hense my original question regarding the bmw or Ducati. we all are aware that the big 4 are very reliable and everywhere, however what about the bmw and ducati these LOOK and spec incredibly but are they reliable, do I consider the dealer proximity to home. It seems Dealers have well stocked Ducati models on show rooms and BMW not so much.

I think you would be impressed with with either of those motorcycles,
and will be disappointed with all of the motorcycle dealerships.

Dealer proximity to your home? Why? are you planning to ride there lots?
It's ok , she will make it that far even if your dealer is in Sudbury :|

Service shop rates are about 100 bucks an hour for a BMW dealer, for a Ducati dealer they are about a hundred bucks an hour, for the YamSuzHonKawi your shop rates will be about a hundred bucks per hour.

Last edited:
Tommy G, you'll be happy on either of those bikes.

If you're after retro naked, what about Triumph Speed Twin, Thruxton, or Bonneville? Kawasaki Z900RS? Yamaha XSR900? All nice bikes.

The Euro brands are no less reliable than the big 4 these days. Parts and service are never a problem.

Buy with confidence, and have a great ride.

Back
Top Bottom