Ducati Diavel | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ducati Diavel

Klaatu

Site Supporter
So I pull the cover off my Ducati Diavel Titanium to find that the clear coat on the tank cover is peeling.
I called my sales rep, he told me they had another one that did the same thing.
So service is now talking to Ducati to see if they will cover it. So I will keep my fingers crossed.
My friend bought a new V4 Panigale he had some issues with warranty and was not happy with Ducati.
I have owned 4 Ducatis and I have had no issues before this. I was always on their side when people said never
buy a Ducati, so I will see how this turns out.
Anyone else have one of these? Any issues like this? The more I find, the more likely they will replace the cover.
I found a guy selling the cover in the UK and guess what, it's peeling too.

Last edited:
Oh no! Put a swab on the end of a hockey stick, and swipe near the peeled paint. Have it tested.

Be sure to stay 6' from the bike until you get a negative test result, don't let any other bikes get close for 14 days.

how old is the bike?
hate to be a bummer
but paint finish is hard to get covered under anyone's warranty
bet you a facemask they claim improper maintenance as the cause

Be insistent - contact DNA directly if they don't step up.

Update :

A little bit upset with GP Bikes. Spoke to service guy today, since I have not heard back from them in over 2 weeks.
I get the whole COVID19 issue, but nothing has been done, they don't even have a ticket written up for this.
Nobody even wrote it down. If I had not called back, I would never have heard from them again.
After buying 5 bikes from them, I get this?
Clearly a defect on this model, and they know that. My warranty is up end of this month.

Update :

A little bit upset with GP Bikes. Spoke to service guy today, since I have not heard back from them in over 2 weeks.
I get the whole COVID19 issue, but nothing has been done, they don't even have a ticket written up for this.
Nobody even wrote it down. If I had not called back, I would never have heard from them again.
After buying 5 bikes from them, I get this?
Clearly a defect on this model, and they know that. My warranty is up end of this month.
Escalate to the GM/owner of GP. Be polite but insistent that as someone who has purchased many bikes from them in the past that this is a huge letdown of customer service.

Plus given the circumstances, I would document everything possible. Take a ton of photos, write down interactions. I got nothing against GP Bikes or Ducati, but you got a legit issue and it could easily fall through the cracks again. Better to have it then not

GP is good for customer service. They must be short handed, try approach them again - it might have been a honest mistake.

If DUC has to wait for italy to response...Best of luck. Italy is shut down, only had limited amount of people working for critical supply chain.
Tank peeling will not be critical.

New update : OK so GP made me get the receipt from my oil change last summer (I don't take it there, I take it to Ken's Motorworks, he was a GP mechanic) Because we all know that if you don't do regular oil changes on your bike, the clear coat will start to peel.
Makes perfect sense to me :rolleyes:

(don't give me crap for not doing my own oil changes, I'm old and I don't care, I used to do them on my Honda's, but I do nothing on my Ducati)

Edit: If you look at my old posts, you will see that I always defended GP Bikes in the past. I still love the place, but really? You know this model has a defect, so just fix it.

Last edited:
I could see there being terms in the warranty saying if you didn't keep up on maintenance, then the warranty is void. (I don't *know* those exist, or if it would even be legal to deny the entire warranty on a lack of engine maintenance). I could also see it GP's hands being tied, as in Ducati requiring an obnoxious amount of paperwork/proof before they will pay for warranty work.

That would be probably maximum benefit of doubt, but plausible

Here is my post from last April where we were discussing buying online.

: I think that GP Bikes is fantastic, I'm from the old school, I want to go to a store, look at stuff touch it feel it, smell it, try it on...
I'm in Oshawa and GP Bikes is 15 minutes from my house. I can go there and it's almost like going to the bike show. I can see tons of gear, new and used bikes which change all the time. (they had a CBR929 there a few days ago, how cool is that) They carry Dainese, Alpinestars, Klim, Olympia, Arai, Shoei to mention a few. I have been shopping there since they were a small shop in Ajax. The place is huge, staff of 40 or 50, so no maybe they can't compete with a guy selling out of his basement on Ebay, or some online building in an industrial area.
I know what wholesale prices are and I think GP is very fair with their prices. Their hydro bill is probably higher that some peoples rent.
The cost of running a store like that is insane.
I am old, I would hate to see a world where all we do is order everything from Amazon or some place else.

OK, funny update : So Ducati said they would warranty the work. (yes this all has taken some time, if I did not have another bike to ride, it would not be so funny) So finally the parts came in last week. GP came and picked up my bike last Friday. So I get a call this morning, thinking my bike is ready. Wrong, when they were putting on the new parts, they found that the clear coat was also peeling on the new part that just arrived from Ducati..
Why did I stop buying Honda's?

Last edited:
OK, funny update : So Ducati said they would warranty the work. (yes this all has taken some time, if I did not have another bike to ride, it would not be so funny) So finally the parts came in last week. GP came and picked up my bike last Friday. So I get a call this morning, thinking my bike is ready. Wrong, when they were putting on the new parts, they found that the clear coat was also peeling on the new part that just arrived from Ducati..

I wish I could say I was surprised...

What year is that thing? I used to be kinda interested in Diavels, but between that and reading the owner's manual where Ducati wants you to have the dealer do chain adjustments, that interest is waning somewhat

What year is that thing? I used to be kinda interested in Diavels, but between that and reading the owner's manual where Ducati wants you to have the dealer do chain adjustments, that interest is waning somewhat
It's a 2015. I've had 4 Ducati's, the other 3 were fine. Just never buy a "limited edition" anything. lol

Do people actually take their bikes to dealers for service?

I take it to Ken's Motorworks in Whitby, he was a mechanic at GP Bikes for years.
I think a lot of Ducati owners take their bikes to the dealer where they bought it, for service.
I think that most people that buy a new bike take it for service to the dealership, while it is under warranty, that way nobody can say
"we can't cover the warranty because we don't know who worked on it"

I take it to Ken's Motorworks in Whitby, he was a mechanic at GP Bikes for years.
I think a lot of Ducati owners take their bikes to the dealer where they bought it, for service.
I think that most people that buy a new bike take it for service to the dealership, while it is under warranty, that way nobody can say
"we can't cover the warranty because we don't know who worked on it"
Ken is the best. Yes, most people go to the dealer while under warranty. But you don't have to. Just keep receipts for fluids and parts purchased. Dealers cannot force you to use their service dept.

they found that the clear coat was also peeling on the new part that just arrived from Ducati..

What a headache.
Will they allow you to keep both the original and replacement parts?

I'd then use this as an excuse to change the colour scheme a bit.
Maybe hit up a body shop for some nice paint job?

I've used Rice Rocket in the past for powdercoating - small family run business: Motorcycles

Alternatively, you could try hitting these guys up to see how much clear coat restoration would cost:RestorFX Greater Toronto Area | Permanent Automotive Refinishing

Hopefully it is not too expensive..!

Back
Top Bottom