Dual sport bikes - recommendations? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dual sport bikes - recommendations?

was faced with the same type of concern as op. purchased an 09 klx250 and could not have been happier.(note-it was stolen from my underground 3 weeks ago) spent some good 15+ hour days riding with some buddies on an older dakar 800 bmw and dr650. those riding days entailed an hour of 4 series highway, i was doing ten over and not worried about passing cars, the fun was when we got to the gravel roads. also did a bunch of snowmobile trails, and this is where the bike shined. i'm 5'8 210lb and old, and was riding what i considered beyond my abilty, and having a blast. my riding buddies (after i passed them) complained because i was never braking approaching tight spots, just popping a gear or two down and then gassing it out while they wrestled their beasts trying to stay upright.
also commute from toronto to pickering daily on the 401 and never worried about it.
the only complaints are the fuel capacity/range- i pack a hose to siphon from the beemer- and the seat. i put a walmart patio cushion on under a beadrider.
have had two dr650's, a klr 650 in the last two years, and really enjoyed the klx a lot more. now that i am in the market again, i would consider either that or a wr250-mainly because it has much better alternator output for running accessories (i ride year round and need that heater clothing)

Ok, so I'm looking at some DRZ's.... but I've recently come across a Yamaha WR450. What say you folks about the Yamaha vs. the Suzuki?

The KLR is more of an enduro, if you want to ride hard in the mud, its not the best choice.

Dont get me wrong, I used to own one and they are very capable, I took mine in places no KLR should go and always got home but if your looking for a machine capable in dirt, thats not the best choice.

Like everyone said, DRZ 400 is a good compromise, very decent in dirt, cheap to fix, bulletproof. But it wont take on those long hauls the same as any dual sport 650 will.

IF you want just one bike, for all around touring/dirt then get a 650, especially if 60% or more of your time will be on the street.

Piece of advice, when budgeting for your purchases, include the cost of another set of rims and dirt only tires. I used to change the tires on my KLR back and forth when riding on dirt/street and gets tiresome changing tires 3-4 times a week.

Ok, so I'm looking at some DRZ's.... but I've recently come across a Yamaha WR450. What say you folks about the Yamaha vs. the Suzuki?

You can keep mentioning bikes, but the same points mentioned above continue to apply... the DRZ is a better all-round dualsport. The WR450 isn't nearly as road capable.

(just ask Bit who grenaded his WR450 engine on the highway!)

The WR 450 holds something like 1.2 litres of engine oil, so if you like doing perpetual oil changes..... Also you would need to change the rear hub to a cush drive to save the tranmission

Like may of the posters before me, my vote is for the DRZ 400

Duster, I know you said you are looking at drz's but you really seem hung up on finding a recomendation for something else. Is there any specific reason your not really into the Suzuki?

Duster, I know you said you are looking at drz's but you really seem hung up on finding a recomendation for something else. Is there any specific reason your not really into the Suzuki?

First off, I like to know what all my options are before I buy something. I like to inform myself of all the competitive offerings. Since I don't know much about this type of bike, I'm still coming across some that I hadn't heard of, which seem comparable to the DRZ. So I ask what seems like an informed group of people what they think. I like to do exhaustive searches when I buy big ticket items.

Secondly, and most importantly, I haven't fallen head over heels for the DRZ, yet. I haven't ridden one yet, so until I'm sure that it's the right bike, I keep looking at different options.

I have nothing against the Suzuki. My first bike was a Suzuki. And I have a Honda in addition to my beemer, so I have nothing against jap bikes.

Still just shopping around.

Also, I haven't seen a good colour for the DRZ yet! :)

--- D

Most who enjoy riding both street and dirt will have one of each - but those who want the best of both worlds in one single bike usually pick the DRZ.

There's no doubt you can find a bike that's more fun on the street, as well as a bike that's more fun in the dirt - but when you talk "dual sport" bikes that try to do both it narrows the choices down pretty fast.

The majority of riders I meet and ride with prefer the KLR/XR650 type bikes if most riding is done on street, gravel roads or fire roads. Those dual-sport riders that focus more on forest trails including tight single-track much prefer the DRZ.

All you can really do is keep researching and focus on the type of riding YOU will be doing... I'm sure you'll have a blast on any bike you choose - and hey, if you start with a larger 650 sized bike and decide you enjoy riding tight forest trails nothing is to stop you from selling that bike and switching to something else!

Have fun in your search and look forward to seeing you on the trails!

First off, I like to know what all my options are before I buy something. I like to inform myself of all the competitive offerings. Since I don't know much about this type of bike, I'm still coming across some that I hadn't heard of, which seem comparable to the DRZ. So I ask what seems like an informed group of people what they think. I like to do exhaustive searches when I buy big ticket items.

Have you considered Husqvarna, Husaberg, Gas Gas or Aprillia?

http://www.rossrochersales.ca/rossr...at1=376&tp=3&lk=no&title=Motorcycles+For+Sale

http://www.vespakw.ca/index.php?pag=detalhes&cod=76&cat=Aprilia

Secondly, and most importantly, I haven't fallen head over heels for the DRZ, yet. I haven't ridden one yet, so until I'm sure that it's the right bike, I keep looking at different options.

I have nothing against the Suzuki. My first bike was a Suzuki. And I have a Honda in addition to my beemer, so I have nothing against jap bikes.

Still just shopping around.

Also, I haven't seen a good colour for the DRZ yet! :)

--- D

Xuhemeka pretty much said it best in his post. I was just curious as the DRZ really is a great bike. If I was you I wouldn't bother with the bigger bikes since you already have a BMW GS so I would go more dirt oriented.

One bike you should maybe take a look at if you can find is a blue plated Honda XR650R not the L. It is a focused dirt bike that is pretty reliable and properly set-up should be able to do everything you want. Maitenance will be more than a DRZ but not to the point of the 450's. One drawback is kick start only, not sure if it matters to you but could be a deal breaker to some.

Me, I just keep bashing my GS through the forest.

Can anyone comment on 'average' mileage/lifespan of a DRZ400?

In comparison to it's competition it's reliability is top notch. Thumpertalk would be the best place to research this topic. I've heard of some pretty high mileages over there.

All i can tell you for sure is that my 05 is nearing 25k and I haven't even needed to touch the valves yet. It uses no oil and has never failed to start. All I've needed to do to it so far is tires, brake pads, a battery, a couple light bulbs and fluid changes.

Eddie Sisneros of Sisneros Speed Works is well renown for his expertise when it comes to performance mods to the DRZ 400. You can find him on ThumperTalk.

[video=youtube;8xL1wRY5KY8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xL1wRY5KY8[/video]

Can anyone comment on 'average' mileage/lifespan of a DRZ400?

Mine is 09 with 12K and as Z1K hinted, it just needs oil and some wear/tear parts. The stock motor is pretty understressed for how it's made, so it will take a lot of upgrades before seriously effecting its reliability/durability. The bike has not changed for ages for a reason ... well reason or two ... LOL

The bike has not changed for ages for a reason ... well reason or two ... LOL

The bonus of this is since it has basically remained unchanged for 10 years (SM version being the exception) a low-mileage DRZ is a Low-mileage DRZ, regardless of year. The aftermarket is huge and the parts are relatively cheap also.

Yep, I agree. They can leave the bike as is, just throw in cheap EFI and they will be OK for another 10 years .. LOL

I have a 2004 xr650r that is incredible on the trails and bulletproof. Tonnes of torque down low and power everywhere. I wouldn't want to ride it too far on the road, but my bike is set up for pure off-road....and I ride an S1000RR so have no need to :)

I have a 2004 xr650r that is incredible on the trails and bulletproof. Tonnes of torque down low and power everywhere. I wouldn't want to ride it too far on the road, but my bike is set up for pure off-road....and I ride an S1000RR so have no need to :)

Is it a blue plate special? I'd love to own one with an aftermarket tank.

Back
Top Bottom