Dual sport bikes - recommendations? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dual sport bikes - recommendations?

Duster929

Site Supporter
This is a wide open question, so feel free to make any recommendation you think is sensible.

I'm new to off-pavement riding. I've got knobbies on my BMW GS, but I've realized that if I want to do some real dual-sport riding, I'm going to need something lighter. That being said, I still want something that's comfortable to ride and street legal, so I don't have to trailer it everywhere.

I'd like to be able to do some rallies with it, and get it beyond just gravel roads. I'm not going to be racing or jumping or anything like that, but I'd like it to be able to handle some challenging terrain.

What are my options, given those requirements. So far I've seen Honda's 650, a couple of you guys have mentioned the DRZ400. What else is in the market that has enough power to move a 200 pound adult down the highway, but not as bulky as my GS?

--- D

I assume you are looking at buying new?

The Honda 650 is a tick over 8 grand. Why not keep it in the family and get yourself a new or used F650GS, or the lessor G650GS? Both are capable bikes, have terrific on road manners, and are in the same price range as the Honda.

I assume you are looking at buying new?

The Honda 650 is a tick over 8 grand. Why not keep it in the family and get yourself a new or used F650GS, or the lessor G650GS? Both are capable bikes, have terrific on road manners, and are in the same price range as the Honda.

I don't mind going used. I'd likely be dropping the thing soon and often, so it doesn't need to be shiny and new when I get it. As long as it's well-maintained, I figure I could find something no older than 8 or 10 years that would suit my purposes. I definitely don't want to spend 8 grand. Maybe 4K? Am I being too cheap?

Anything with a big motor, that's reasonably light and has true dirt capable suspension isn't going to be Japanese or cheap. The closest thing would be Honda XR650L which has a fork exactly like a 1987 CR250, which was the bees knees 23 yrs. ago.
Personally, 650 cc is the minimum if "I still want something comfortable to ride and street legal".
DRZ 400 is probably the closest thing to your needs dirt wise, but could you stand riding it long distance on the road?
The DR650 makes a pretty good light weight road bike but needs extensive farkling to be dirt worthy and still weighs a lot.
KTM 640 Adventure @ 4 grand is gonna be beat to snot.
You probably know this already....this is an area of huge compromise, you can't have the best of both worlds or even come close. You could throw knobbies onto any old 650 and as long as you ride slow and within the suspension and weight (polar moment of inertia) limitations, you could get pretty knarly for exploring but compared to a MX bike, you'll never have that fluid motion.

Anything with a big motor, that's reasonably light and has true dirt capable suspension isn't going to be Japanese or cheap. The closest thing would be Honda XR650L which has a fork exactly like a 1987 CR250, which was the bees knees 23 yrs. ago.
Personally, 650 cc is the minimum if "I still want something comfortable to ride and street legal".
DRZ 400 is probably the closest thing to your needs dirt wise, but could you stand riding it long distance on the road?
The DR650 makes a pretty good light weight road bike but needs extensive farkling to be dirt worthy and still weighs a lot.
KTM 640 Adventure @ 4 grand is gonna be beat to snot.
You probably know this already....this is an area of huge compromise, you can't have the best of both worlds or even come close. You could throw knobbies onto any old 650 and as long as you ride slow and within the suspension and weight (polar moment of inertia) limitations, you could get pretty knarly for exploring but compared to a MX bike, you'll never have that fluid motion.

Thanks, that's good advice. I like the idea of the 400 for riding purposes, but I don't think it's going to be great for an hour-long ride at 80-120kph to get to the trails. I've ridden the Honda XR650L, and it's not a real joy at high speed. I imagine a 400 is much much worse. However, I found the Honda to be still quite clunky even offroad.

I think you're right about compromise, and I feel I'm going to have to make a tough choice here. Get a smaller bike that's better off-road and be prepared to trailer it to "real trails", or get something a bit clunkier and heavier that I can ride on real roads, and still have "some" fun on in the dirt. Given my (nonexistent) dirt skills, I'm probably not going to be going fast anyway. I'm probably not going for that "fluid motion" anyway - just something I can get down trails with and explore. Also, if I'm going to try out some of these Rallyconnex kinds of rallies, doesn't the 650 make more sense? I'm more interested in riding distance and seeing stuff, rather than super-technical or track riding. For now.

What do you guys think of the KTM LC4 640? Not the 640 Adventure, the dual sport one? Pros/cons? Seems to have real dirt cred, but also good power, and I could stretch the budget a bit for a KTM...

Last edited:
I got a DRZ for the reasons you mentioned. I can cruise @ 120 no problem, with some left to pass if necessary, though I don't really like going that fast on the knobbies on the highway - it can be done. That's why I've got 2 sets of wheels! The SM wheels for commuting and regular driving, and the knobbies for when I want to get it dirty.

DRZ 400 for sure. I would say it is a better bike all around then a XR 650L and is just as capable on road. It really is a great do it all bike with a extensive aftermarket to make it what you want.

You asked about the 640 LC4 also. I currently ride a KTM 625SMC and I used to have a DRZ 400SM so I am riding these things on the street. On road I think I prefer the KTM for the power but I wouldn't be really excited to ride one off-road. It is just too much bike, the DRZ is much more nimble and while the weights are close it felt a lot lighter. The KTM is a BIG bike and would be better suited to Paris-Dakar/desert kind of riding where as the DRZ would be better for the tighter trails your riding.

The DRZ 400 really is the quarter-horse of dual-sports. They're essentially bomb proof and when they do break down, parts are available everywhere. Don't even get me started on mods and accessories - LOL! Been there, done that! While most KTM's are high-strung thorough-breds, the 640 LC4 is tame and dependable enough for dual-sport or adventure type rides and has more than enough power to cruise confidently on major highways. However, it is a bit too much for trails - your fitness better be top-notch. The maintenance shedules are pretty reasonable on both.

Another +1 to the DRZ 400 S. I have mine for a few months now and it has treated me great. Mine is completely stock and it works great in the city as a commuter and works ok in trails as long as you dont have to go throught lots of mud. I even did some 8 hour touring days on it, once with a passanger.

Ps. there are some good deals on kijiji now. I saw a 2003 posteed for $2,800.. not bad at all.

Take a look at an older KLR. People take them all ovewr the world.
I had one, it is heavy off road but not like a GS and while I prefer my V strom for the road, the klr served the purpose.
And it's cheap.

I ride a Suzuki Dr650se

My good friend rides a Kawasaki KLR 650 with a 685 kit installed.

If you are a bigger guy (either taller and/or heavier) then maybe look into the KLR - along with suspension upgrades and a 685cc kit - The Dukes of Cycle can take care of the work if you supply the parts.

I am only a little bit smaller than my friend (5'10" 150ibs) but my big crush was the Dr650se. It is and extremely capable bike, especially for the price. I had enough money left over to change her note and set her up for a Nova Scotia bike tour. Once I had the exhaust thrown on and my rear spring adjusted properly - the bike was gravyyy

Both are very good machines if you put a few bux into them.

No experience with the Honda 650... but its just gotta be amazing. or is it? is it!

If you want to see a Suzuki Dr650se & a Staintune exhaust, you'll find a video I just made with my exhaust in the Media Section.

Last edited:
Take a look at an older KLR. People take them all ovewr the world.
I had one, it is heavy off road but not like a GS and while I prefer my V strom for the road, the klr served the purpose.
And it's cheap.

It's not made for off road. The suspension sucks and needs a total upgrade etc. I spent about $600 dollars outfitting a second set of rims with knobbies this year, and I cry when following a 400 in the bush. Manly tears of frustration.

That Honda is the better off road bike imho, although I'm not sure about it's highway legs etc.

Does KTM make a street-legal 400, or something in that size range? I've checked the KTM website - not the easiest to navigate. I can't tell which of the bikes are dual sport, and which are dirt-only....

I think I'm leaning towards a bike that's a bit smaller than a 650. I already have a big bulky GS for some gravel and light off-road stuff. If I'm going to get something different, I think I should go closer to the other end of the spectrum, something more dirt-oriented. Lighter, easier to handle, etc. Otherwise, I'll just be getting a "smaller" GS.

What other 400-ish bikes are out there? (Seems like lots of DRZ fans here!)

Does KTM make a street-legal 400, or something in that size range? I've checked the KTM website - not the easiest to navigate. I can't tell which of the bikes are dual sport, and which are dirt-only....

I think I'm leaning towards a bike that's a bit smaller than a 650. I already have a big bulky GS for some gravel and light off-road stuff. If I'm going to get something different, I think I should go closer to the other end of the spectrum, something more dirt-oriented. Lighter, easier to handle, etc. Otherwise, I'll just be getting a "smaller" GS.

What other 400-ish bikes are out there? (Seems like lots of DRZ fans here!)

If you want a more dirt oriented bike, consider something like I ride - the Husqvarna TE450. I don't even have turn signals on mine...

It SUCKS on the highway though - pretty much the only highway riding you'll want to do is short jaunts to connect trail heads.

Duster, I think your looking for the EXC series of dual sport from KTM. There are pure offroad bikes with all the street hardware

http://www.ktm.com/450-EXC.102532.4.html

You can also get this in a 530cc if you want the power and the glory LOL

The only thing about the Husky (te450 and 510) and the KTM (450 and 530) is they are essentially race bike with lights. You will have very short intervals for stuff like oil changes and valve checks, they will also need a full rebuild much earlier than something like the DRZ. Not saying they are bad bikes (actually 2 REALLY nice machines) but you need to be aware of the attention they require and are probably something you would look at after you cut your teeth on a DRZ type bike for a few years.

Back
Top Bottom