Do you fit the stereotype for your bike? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you fit the stereotype for your bike?

Oh come on that goes for all bikes.
Guy buys BMW GSA1200 and all the Klim gear won’t ride in rain.
Guy buys GSX R and full leather one piece suit
Guy buys CR250F plasters giant fox sticker on the back window of his truck
Guy buys triumph Boneville grows beard and man bun drinks craft beer

Its not just the Harley crowd
My problem is I’m going to look very confused riding to pick up my craft beer on my adv bike wearing my chaps and joe rocket leather and a fox Mx helmet

Yes I went out and bought mostly new gear when I switched bikes.
I didn’t need to get tattoo removal and I still shave my head bic bald.
I didn’t have a ton of HD branded stuff.
I don’t really wear my weathered leather jacket much now. I bough an FXR adventure jacket that’s water proof eliminating the need for rain suit.
I bought adv pants for same reason.
I bought adv boots after dropping the pig on my foot in an off road learning experience. My cruiser boots did not save my foot. I kept the boots around for casual riding where the adv boot would be a little overkill.
I also bought a bell mx9 adv helmet because my full face street helmet is to hot in trails, though I still wear it when riding a lot of hwy because it’s better at speed.

2017 BMW R1200R all rounder

The smart alternative to the GS as it does everything well except the off-road .

Lots of character, with all the tech available and nannies if you ever need them.

Generally understated bike like me.
672B9B10-3C72-48D1-AB94-814519396E04.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m also predominantly a Honda guy except for the first old bike I purchased (a ‘73 Yamaha RD). Don’t have the beautiful CB750 collection like Lash, but I do have a near mint ‘69 CB350, a first yr CB350 four, and a first year CB550 four.
None of my rides are newer than 1975...including the wife .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh come on that goes for all bikes.
Guy buys BMW GSA1200 and all the Klim gear won’t ride in rain.
Guy buys GSX R and full leather one piece suit
Guy buys CR250F plasters giant fox sticker on the back window of his truck
Guy buys triumph Boneville grows beard and man bun drinks craft beer

Its not just the Harley crowd
My problem is I’m going to look very confused riding to pick up my craft beer on my adv bike wearing my chaps and joe rocket leather and a fox Mx helmet
My A$$less chaps only go with my Harley.
Same as my handlebar mustache.
Harley T-shirt, Harley boots, Harley gloves, Glasses, jacket, underwear, toothless grin, ugly wife, Harley sticker on my pick up, beer gut, bad attitude.

Since I bought a new r1200gs adventure when I was 30 and am not a middle aged doctor or lawyer I’d say no I don’t fit the stereotype.

Since I was an 18 Year old student when I bought my new Gsxr1000 and wasn’t a squid, I’d also say that I didn’t fit the stereotype although assumptions were strong.

Now as a 36 y/o father I’d say I’m still in the clear of the stereotypes for either bike.

@Krime , see thats sort of funny. If you get a chance to attend a BMW rally, and they are all over the place in nicer weather you'll find very few doctors and lawyers. You'll find some odd cats , not saying there wont be a doctor or dentist but that one stereotype really is misplaced.

Like some of the Harley nonsense on here, I know 5 riders quite well. car sales manager 45 no tats, 60yr old health nut runs 10km every am, his 36yr old marketing manager son, also no tats, 50yr old gal, municipal worker, doesnt even have an HD T shirt. None fit the pirate persona.

I was 38 and an avid mountain biker, no tattoo, non smoker, self employed carpenter, father of two. Far from the bad attitude pirate or “biker” SOA wannabe.
even made a bike rack for the Harley.
I did buy Harley boots and have one shirt a wallet and a keychain that were gifts.
and I can’t grow a handlebar stash.

@Krime , see thats sort of funny. If you get a chance to attend a BMW rally, and they are all over the place in nicer weather you'll find very few doctors and lawyers. You'll find some odd cats , not saying there wont be a doctor or dentist but that one stereotype really is misplaced.
+1 for the BMWMOA. Their events are the most fun we ever had on two wheels. The finger lakes event was a blast. An offshoot of the association is the Airheads group. They would erect a huge tent and rent furniture to fill it along with big tv's.
We were invited to have dinner with a small group one nite. Awesome stories from Dave Swisher (the million mile man) and Lyle Grimes from Alabama.
Every nite someone would play taps followed by everyone yelling nite Bob. Lol.

My bike is tall, dark and handsome. A perfect combination of good looks, quality performance and versatility.
I am one with my bike and my bike is an extension of me.

My bike is tall, dark and handsome. A perfect combination of good looks, quality performance and versatility.
I am one with my bike and my bike is an extension of me.
Performance you say?

Your bike fits you to a tee, but it needs 15hp more.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Like some of the Harley nonsense on here, I know 5 riders quite well. car sales manager 45 no tats, 60yr old health nut runs 10km every am, his 36yr old marketing manager son, also no tats, 50yr old gal, municipal worker, doesnt even have an HD T shirt. None fit the pirate persona.

Yeah, I hear you and have experienced that to some degree. I think the stereotype is more around those that buy a brand new fully loaded GS and trade-in/replace every couple years. The price range of $35k+ OTD for a fully loaded brand new bike puts it out of reach to most except for those high income earners (including Doctors, dentists, CEOs, etc) – of course there's always an exception, myself included. I think it's part of why when I bought my bike at 30 y/o at BMW Toronto they didn't take me seriously with the small deposit I put on the bike. They likely assumed I'd walk from it. Even though I custom spec'd out the bike, they sent me a VIN of a bike that was fully loaded with options I didn't order (including the $500 Gear Shift Assist feature). When I picked the bike up, my sales guy assured me it was to my custom spec even though it was really one of the fully loaded dealer allocated bikes.

I think the majority of GS riders that are social, go to the rallies etc, often keep their bikes for a longer time and/or bought them for a more reasonable price used.

Last edited:
I'll agree the GS folks often keep them longer, the airhead guys its almost cult like , 50yr old bikes and they ride them 1000 miles to an event. The big difference we saw when we were more involved with BMW, there were a lot of guys using GS as intended. Offroad training at rallies, experts on site to help you enjoy a big bike as designed.
The Overland festivals are even better, bikes being used, mechanical assistance, ..... first aid LOL.

But I get the stereo types, shopping with my buddy for his first bike, he was looking for a Vstrom 650. We looked at some supersports, salesman told us those were called "organ donor bikes" and they only have idiot kids shopping for those, my regular ride at the time was a Ducati 916 . I was grey bearded so...... and I've been gret bearded since i was 20..... Buddy did buy a Vstrom , not from there

Back
Top Bottom