Do you fit the stereotype for your bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you fit the stereotype for your bike?

Clutt-225

So I’ve told my story before but will again
Ive been a gear head my entire life. Started riding street motorcycles at 38 years old 5 years ago.
I started on a 2000’s style forward controls custom chopper because it looked cool and riding it I felt cool. All bikes have a purpose and that for sure was the only thing this bike did well.
In short time I realized that I enjoyed to ride A LOT, but not this bike.
My father rode a Harley touring bike so I bought a Harley touring bike. Now I could ride as far as I wanted. I was falling in love with motorcycling. But still lacking something.
One of my employees left me an R6 and said try this. Omg this this is what I need. For 30 minutes lol.
So what do you buy when you want to ride long day trips, rain or shine, twisty back roads or hwy, fast or slow, cold or hot. Smooth or busted up roads. It took me 4 years to find the bike and the style that fits me. Enter the KTM 1190 adventure, I found my do it all bike that fits me.
I will wake up with no plan and jump on my bike and be gone for 8 or 9 hours ride gravel or hwy rain or shine. Some days I just cruise other days I ride faster than I should. Lol faster than that old Harley even could. Some days it’s a short ride across town to run errands. The bottom line I ride as much as I can.
No I haven’t crossed Africa or ridden to Alaska or to Star bucks, but I will ride to Calabogie and back for a burger, hit a couple Tim’s along the way.

I believe I fit the stereotype for my bike
43years ol, father, entrepreneur, KTM 1190 Adventure

Do you fit the stereotype for your bike?
Are you the one guy that bought a new H2 at 65years old or the guy that uses a 600S/S as a mile muncher. Maybe your the guy that has the DRZ 400 sm that can’t wheelie.
Be honest does your bike fit?

The KLR is me on a good day - willing to try just about anything.
The XV920R is me on a 'not so good' day - cantankerous, slow to go, slow to stop, and not going around corners particularly well.
They both fit, especially when the sun is shining and the roads are clear. :)

I don't fit the stereotype of my bike, or rather it doesn't fit my stereotype. When people find out I ride they usually ask if it's a Harley...and they are usually surprised when it's not even close. Apparently I look like a Harley kinda guy

I would have never thought a sport touring would be my flavour, but I really enjoy it. It's more than fast enough, is smooth and substantial feeling on the highway, and handles well considering its size/weight. And it's comfy for me, 6ft2 with a 34 in inseam I tend to get uncomfortable quickly on smaller bikes. Only downside is I wish it was a bit more agile/lighter at lower speeds.

I think I will try a naked/standard bike next, lighter than a sport touring but still good sized and comfortable compared to a sport bike.

Reactions: J_F
36 year old dad on a Suzuki V-Strom. 0 tattoos, long beards or leather cuts. I definitely fit my stereotype for my bike :ROFLMAO::LOL:

getting close to being old dude with a chrome dome and clean shaven
one tattoo from when I was 16, no bits of metal stuck into me anywhere
most of my riding is done solo including an annual 3-4 week trip
so yeah I guess I'd be an ADV dude or an ST dude - bike suits me

people who don't know much about bikes are mostly like Harley owners
they assume HD is where everyone wants to be if they could afford it
I can, but not ready yet, maybe when the Capo is worn out

getting close to being old dude with a chrome dome and clean shaven
one tattoo from when I was 16, no bits of metal stuck into me anywhere
most of my riding is done solo including an annual 3-4 week trip
so yeah I guess I'd be an ADV dude or an ST dude - bike suits me

people who don't know much about bikes are mostly like Harley owners
they assume HD is where everyone wants to be if they could afford it
I can, but not ready yet, maybe when the Capo is worn out

I hear you for sure.
Everyone I know that isn’t into bikes was shocked when I sold the Harley to buy a KTM. My own dad who has had bikes all his life asked “well who makes a KTM is it Chiniese“ “I think you should stick with Honda or Harley or a quality known manufacturer“ or Why would you sell a Harley to buy anything else, it just doesn’t make sense“ “it looks funny and doesn’t even have any chrome”
He likes his metric cruisers but has a definite brand loyalty to Harley.
He’s 65 and very stuck in his mindset that the only style of bike is a cruiser or touring bikes. Oh and dirt bikes are for kids.

Reactions: J_F
I have more than one persona, so I have a bike for each. Late 50s, partially chromed, no stickers or farkles. Sporting a new bushy beard -- growing till things return to normal, it's about 1/2 Santa now.

I've never been interested in cruisers or swiss-army ADV bikes - dependability means more to me than the make. April through November bikes are my primary transportation.

A clean CB919 I guess is for the late 40-50's rider who wanted something sporty, but not even a little bit intimidating. Mine isn't clean, though: my guess is one of the previous owners was a confused young person who tried various ways of enhancing the bike. Someone who knew just enough about wiring and electricity to be dangerous.

So it's perfect for a rider in their mid 30's with bad wiring in their skull

O2 sv650s, 40, family. I definitely don’t think my bike suits me or at least it’s not my dream bike, but it does everything I want it to adequately. I’m always looking at getting something different but what that is changes depending on the day lol. I love all bikes and would have a stable full of different ones if I could. Maybe that’s why I still have the sv, it’s like a Swiss Army knife.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

35, SS owner, Can't wheelie or do a burn out, can't knee down on any corner, Chicken strips that'll make BK blush! not a scuff on the polished, waxed knee pucks or the suit. Bike looks shiny and neat...

Fits my stereo type... :p

Lets see reliable old KLR650 in Australia that plods along, never washed and stops for photo ops and stingy on fuel
Yeah that fits.

Canada...reliable almost new CB500x that is stingy on fuel ...rarely washed and wanders out in all weathers....yeah that works too. :coffee:

Reactions: TK4
I don't think I fit the stereotype.
I bought a 2018 1090 Adventure R this spring and live out here in Port Hope. I still have a 690 that I THINK I'll sell.

I don't gear up in off road gear to go riding on it, but if I'm going to explore some unopened roads or abandoned railway right of ways I'll wear my boots.

I'm under no illusion that it's a dirt bike.

I don't & won't use the word "farkle". Accessories, jewellery or stuff works for me. For instance, I installed my skid plate today. It's jewellery.

I don't believe that some guy in his garage with a you tube channel can re-engineer this particular motorcycle to be better than delivered from the factory.

I'm not going buy $1800 worth of gigantic aluminum panniers to carry my lunch to and from work. I've got no plans to explore Africa for 6 months on this bike, though I may ride west (or east) again someday.

I hate stickers and can't be bothered to announce to the world where I've been or what brands of crap I prefer.

It WILL get filthy, and I WILL wash it.

I like starbucks and tim hortons, but prefer small independents. Regardless of where I get my coffee I feel no need to strike up a chat with the guy on a similar bike, but will always be pleasant if someone else wants to chat.

When my 73 850 Norton is finished in the next couple weeks I will wear the same gear riding it.

Stereotype? I've gone from Goldwing to Muffin to Motard to Dual Sport to Trials to Ugly Duc in the last 20 years. **** normal.

Well apparently there is a little Harley owner left over in me. I spent the day polishing the bike removing every last sign of last years dirt.
I guess it doesn’t matter what the bike is I’m going to polish it up.
just another way to enjoy my bike.

Met a couple folks here.. Some of you definitely do not fit your bikes, lol.

29 y/o 6'2 Asian male, cb500x. I will definitely fit the stereotype once I get to my 50s and start shrinking ?

62 year old auto mechanic, have been a gear head my hold life, love old school hot rods, muscle cars and bikes that have been on the top of my list, have two kaws, a ZRX and a Concours14

Attachments

• 4507_89226651395_282788_n.jpg
    4507_89226651395_282788_n.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0057 (2).JPG
    DSC_0057 (2).JPG
    755.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom