Dealership Won't Give Motorcycle Even After Paying In Full | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dealership Won't Give Motorcycle Even After Paying In Full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pegassus

Site Supporter
Please tell me this is not so, because its ridiculous. My friend bought a new motorcycle 2 months ago in full and cash. The dealership won't let him take it home, riding it, or in the back of a pickup truck or on a trailer. They told him he has to go and take his M1 and M2 and then come with an insurance slip before they let him have the motorcycle. He has been trying to get his M2 for 2 months now. Is this the way it is?

Did they go and plate the bike before he had proof of insurance? Sure sounds like it.

Please tell me this is not so, because its ridiculous. My friend bought a new motorcycle 2 months ago in full and cash. The dealership won't let him take it home, riding it, or in the back of a pickup truck or on a trailer. They told him he has to go and take his M1 and M2 and then come with an insurance slip before they let him have the motorcycle. He has been trying to get his M2 for 2 months now. Is this the way it is?
He doesn't need an M2 to buy a bike. There is no restriction on cc's or bike types on a m1.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Did they go and plate the bike before he had proof of insurance? Sure sounds like it.
You know what, I didn't asked my friend. But how can he plate it without proof of insurance at the ministry? Or do you mean maybe the dealership plated it?

Dealer has to transfer the ownership to the buyer somehow. They have 2 choices.
Choice 1. Transfer it "unfit" - the buyer gets an "unfit" ownership with no (or blank or void) plate portion of the ownership paperwork.
Choice 2. Transfer it "fit" with a filled-out plate portion of the ownership and a valid license plate on the bike. That's only possible with the insurance arranged first.

In the case of choice 1, if the buyer later wants to put the bike on the road, they would have to go through extra steps and extra costs. It would almost be like buying a used vehicle. Safety inspection, additional cost for another ownership change, etc.

The normal average customer that the dealer doesn't know from Adam, isn't going to be given a choice. It's choice 2. Means the insurance needs to be arranged first. Means the customer needs to have a valid license category and which the insurance company will accept.

The dealer is not going to want to be complicit in allowing someone to ride on the road without insurance.

What is this hypothetical buyer going to do with the bike if they don't have a proper license and insurance, anyhow? Might as well not start the warranty clock ticking until they can actually legally ride it.

What is this hypothetical buyer going to do with the bike if they don't have a proper license and insurance, anyhow? Might as well not start the warranty clock ticking until they can actually legally ride it.

Track bike? I'm sure there is lots of crotch rockets sold that never see a public road.

Something is funky...
You dont need anything to buy a bike... other than money.
If the guy paid in full and the dealer wont deliver... He should demand his money back and go elsewhere or... Put in a call to the Ministry of Consumer& Corporate Affairs.
Bottom line is... Dealer took payment.
Everything else is irrelevant.

If title is in his name, since he paid in full it must be, have him call the cops....

How can they hold his property ?

Why would he need any kind of license, or insurance, the bike is his, he paid for it in full, and with cash, there is no money owing, no lean, no nothing, it’s his property, he has a right to it, hell he can burn it to the ground if he wants to....it’s his...

He can take the bike and push it home if he wants to....or push it off a cliff.....

Never heard such stupidity....

Dealers won't let you take an uninsured/unplated bike off the lot. You should be able to arrange a tow truck to pick it up though.

So what dealer is this?

He can take delivery but it will be with an "unfit" ownership and no license plate, and it will not be leaving under its own power. That's what's done for race/track/dirt bikes.

Original poster has a history of not telling the whole story. It's entirely possible that the piece of the story that's being omitted is that the person in question is asking for something that can't (legally) be done.

If title is in his name, since he paid in full it must be, have him call the cops....

How can they hold his property ?

Why would he need any kind of license, or insurance, the bike is his, he paid for it in full, and with cash, there is no money owing, no lean, no nothing, it’s his property, he has a right to it, hell he can burn it to the ground if he wants to....it’s his...

He can take the bike and push it home if he wants to....or push it off a cliff.....

Never heard such stupidity....

liability.

Liable for what....it’s his motorcycle, paid for in cash....

Your going to tell me I can’t go to a dealership, pay for a bike and take it home, unless I show a license and insurance...

Really, what if I purchased it to take it to Europe, or bought it for parts, or to stick it in my garage and stare at it....

Get a van, truck, buddy, CAA and take your bike home....

I believe, it is exactly the same as what happens with cars. Dealerships require proof of insurance before they register/plate car/bike under buyers name. As other people said, there is an option to register it as an "unfit" vehicle but I never heard that any dealership offered such option and I'm not sure that all dealership workers know about it.

However, I don't see any reason why they would reject such a request. Keep in mind that it will require additional $ to plate it and register it as "fit". I did it with my 2 bikes and it is not a big deal if you have a reason to do it (e.g. you bought it in winter and don't want to insure it right away).

Anyway, if it is not a track bike then what this guy wants to do with it? He needs to insure it first or he wants to ride it dirty?

He can take delivery but it will be with an "unfit" ownership and no license plate, and it will not be leaving under its own power. That's what's done for race/track/dirt bikes.
True. I've done this. My Harley was delivered, labeled unfit. No plate, no insurance. No safety needed to plate as it was new. No big deal at all.

Peggers did say paid in full, but as per-usual... we aren't getting the full story here.

Maybe sold certified, fit, and plated. Owner could take it unfit, but if licensing was worked into the deal; better to get an m1/insurance first...

Pegs should go grease his axle sticks to calm down.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Dealer has to transfer the ownership to the buyer somehow. They have 2 choices.
Choice 1. Transfer it "unfit" - the buyer gets an "unfit" ownership with no (or blank or void) plate portion of the ownership paperwork.
Choice 2. Transfer it "fit" with a filled-out plate portion of the ownership and a valid license plate on the bike. That's only possible with the insurance arranged first.

In the case of choice 1, if the buyer later wants to put the bike on the road, they would have to go through extra steps and extra costs. It would almost be like buying a used vehicle. Safety inspection, additional cost for another ownership change, etc.

The normal average customer that the dealer doesn't know from Adam, isn't going to be given a choice. It's choice 2. Means the insurance needs to be arranged first. Means the customer needs to have a valid license category and which the insurance company will accept.

The dealer is not going to want to be complicit in allowing someone to ride on the road without insurance.

You can have a fit but unplated ownership. I have one. Got the bike certified when I bought it (used) but didn't plate it. I can get any bike certified (and a new bike should be) even without plate and insurance. I would expect the buyer should be able to ask for a paid bike with an un-plated fit ownership. Then once get the insurance go plate it with MTO.

Jeff

Reactions: J_F
You can have a fit but unplated ownership. I have one. Got the bike certified when I bought it (used) but didn't plate it. I can get any bike certified (and a new bike should be) even without plate and insurance. I would expect the buyer should be able to ask for a paid bike with an un-plated fit ownership. Then once get the insurance go plate it with MTO.

Jeff
All good if you put it on the road within 30 days... otherwise cert is gone.

Peggers bff has no license. Might take a bit to get that sorted.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom