Daily sports car? | Page 36 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Daily sports car?

The BRZ is a boring car. No power whatsoever.

My understanding is that power is the opposite of what the BRZ is about. I know at least on the Toyota version they put the extra small Prius tires on so you could feel the limit of grip more easily, and at speeds that didn't involve a roadside legal trial. Lots of porkers have spec sheet power these days, but they're numb to actually drive around a corner...

My understanding is that power is the opposite of what the BRZ is about. I know at least on the Toyota version they put the extra small Prius tires on so you could feel the limit of grip more easily, and at speeds that didn't involve a roadside legal trial. Lots of porkers have spec sheet power these days, but they're numb to actually drive around a corner...
Hats the marketing I have heard. If you want to go that route, you need to be merciless with weight though. Otherwise you get a Prius. Slippery around corners and a loud pedal that minimally influences speed. Not fun. The brz is more than 500 lbs heavier than a miata (~25%) with 25 hp more (~15%).

Hats the marketing I have heard. If you want to go that route, you need to be merciless with weight though. Otherwise you get a Prius. Slippery around corners and a loud pedal that minimally influences speed. Not fun. The brz is more than 500 lbs heavier than a miata (~25%) with 25 hp more (~15%).

I seem to remember the old Top Gear bunch quite liking the Toyota version, for the reasons the marketing bumpf highlighted. They weren't typically interested in keeping companies happy, so as unbearable as Clarkson and Co. could be, it was usually an honest opinion. Of course, that was for the Euro version, so no idea if there's any difference with what we got here, or if the Subaru was functionally different from the Toyota.

I haven't been near either one, so have zero first-hand knowledge, but I am partial to low-power sporty cars, as I find so many cheaper spec-sheet modern cars to have power steering that completely kills any road feel. The Charger/Challenger comes to mind, having rented both over the years...

Oof....BMW didn’t budge an inch on the 228s I drove....after warranty and taxes way over budget (about 8k).

do I need warranty extension on a 2016? I’ve heard nothing but horror stories of BMW out of warranty.

I seem to remember the old Top Gear bunch quite liking the Toyota version, for the reasons the marketing bumpf highlighted. They weren't typically interested in keeping companies happy, so as unbearable as Clarkson and Co. could be, it was usually an honest opinion. Of course, that was for the Euro version, so no idea if there's any difference with what we got here, or if the Subaru was functionally different from the Toyota.

I haven't been near either one, so have zero first-hand knowledge, but I am partial to low-power sporty cars, as I find so many cheaper spec-sheet modern cars to have power steering that completely kills any road feel. The Charger/Challenger comes to mind, having rented both over the years...

I think they were happy with it because it was like fresh air when it was released. Much more affordable, sporty enough, more about driving than anything else. I really liked it when it was released and even was thinking about buying one! But then I drove it.. and it was so freaking booooring for me (at that time I had heavily modded WRX and it gave me so much more emotions every day). It was a very fun car on auto-x events (never drove it on a big track tho) but on streets it was boring..

Because of some reason, a completely stock NC Miata felt quicker and much more interesting to drive for me. I personally will choose Miata instead of BRZ/FRS any day.

Oof....BMW didn’t budge an inch on the 228s I drove....after warranty and taxes way over budget (about 8k).

do I need warranty extension on a 2016? I’ve heard nothing but horror stories of BMW out of warranty.

I’m not all that surprised right now. A lot of dealers aren’t negotiating. Selling hasn’t been a problem but replacing inventory is a big issue right now. Simple supply demand stuff.

I look at extended warranties as basically a insurance product. If the company isn’t bringing more in versus what they pay out they just won’t offer it. That alone tells me you are likely better off to stick whatever money you would’ve spent on a warranty off to the side somewhere for any issues or repairs that may pop up.

I wouldn’t be stressed about owning a 228 outside of warranty. 6 or 7 series....yeah no thanks, I want a manufacturer warranty on one of those.

We got 3 years engine/transmission aftermarket warranty. For $50/month ill sleep easy.

We got 3 years engine/transmission aftermarket warranty. For $50/month ill sleep easy.
They’ve since come down a bit in price after I texted my final offer. But I don’t expect to come any closer as we are now $3500 apart.

Because of some reason, a completely stock NC Miata felt quicker and much more interesting to drive for me. I personally will choose Miata instead of BRZ/FRS any day.

probably the open air feeling. I was driving it and I’m like ‘slow? This thing flies! And then I looked down on the speedo....60kph....’

Meanwhile I got on the gas in the 230 today and BOOM 140kph came in no time (highway) so I hit the brakes as it was so smooth.

There is no substitute for two wheels really. However, a small two seat convertible is a nice alternative. No rain gear, no helmet.

You get a nice view of the scenery. The drive can be engaging. And generally speaking, have a little more storage if needed.

The vehicle should make you grin looking at it in the drive way anticipating the next drive.

Different strokes for different folks.

For a used beemer, I’d look at an extended warrenty.

Friend of mine had a M3 convertible and literally jumped for joy when he sold it and the new owner drove it away.

He loved the car when he got it and hated it not long after. Never got to really enjoy it.

He’s older than me and not much of a gear head so, he’s driving an S Class convertible with heated and cooled seats. It’s gorgeous. And it’s new. It’s fast. But sporty it’s not.

Point is, I drive alone or with my wife and it’s fun. It’s a toy. So get the one you want with the budget you set. And enjoy the hunt. It will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

;) 8k is not bad for a BMW
Extended warranties from anybody is a crock, lol a used BMW / ask for compression test results.
:sneaky: they profit by selling extended warranties, that should be your first hint you are getting ripped off

There are so many places an oil leak can develop on the newer Subaru's, and the motor has to come out to fix most of them. Instead of gaskets in those areas, they use silicone sealant - think Aprilia SXV). Then the oil drips onto the exhaust and you get the smell of burning oil in the cabin unless you keep the HVAC on recirculate and A/C on so you don't fog up your windows.

IMO most smaller BMWs (or most euro cars) reliability all comes down to how well it was and is taken care of. No doubt they are more expensive to maintain but they get a really bad rap because people buy a used one for the price of a new Honda Civic or Accord (or Corolla to Camry) and then proceed to treat it like a new Civic maintenance wise and lots of things get differed. Then the eventual nightmare sours the current owner and then gets unloaded on the next owner. Then someone takes it to the dealer for repairs!!!!

It is a used car and will need extra care compared to new. It is a euro car which will generally be more expensive to maintain even just regular maintenance. If well treated by the first owner and well treated by the new owner they can be vary reliable. You see older ones for sale with 300K+ kms all the time. I know quite a few high km BMW, Audi, Merc, etc. owners (and we are/wer Saab people).

I would still avoid certain models that have a bad rep like all X series SUVs and the more complicated big cars, the more complicated the plumbing the easier it is to plug it up.... Also find a local indy that specializes in euro or better yet just BMW, stay the hell away form the dealer.

There are so many places an oil leak can develop on the newer Subaru's, and the motor has to come out to fix most of them. Instead of gaskets in those areas, they use silicone sealant - think Aprilia SXV). Then the oil drips onto the exhaust and you get the smell of burning oil in the cabin unless you keep the HVAC on recirculate and A/C on so you don't fog up your windows.

And the older ones (2006). They seem to have zero interest in fixing oil leek issues and they let head gasket issues go on for ever. Not sure if that has been dealt with by now. Owned a Subaru about 8 years ago. The most expensive car to own Ive ever had! $10000 in repairs over 8 years. Never never again.

;) 8k is not bad for a BMW
Extended warranties from anybody is a crock, lol a used BMW / ask for compression test results.
:sneaky: they profit by selling extended warranties, that should be your first hint you are getting ripped off
For some cars, an extended warranty makes sense. Yes, if you look at the average, you should lose and it costs you more but it also substantially locks in the cost of ownership. Paying 600 a year to know that your car cant stick with with a 10K bill is sometimes worth it even if the 10K repair is never required.

For some cars, an extended warranty makes sense. Yes, if you look at the average, you should lose and it costs you more but it also substantially locks in the cost of ownership. Paying 600 a year to know that your car cant stick with with a 10K bill is sometimes worth it even if the 10K repair is never required.

Yup, extended warranty is just another insurance policy that gives people peace of mind, especially if it's their only car and don't want to be bothered to work on it themselves (even if they could).

Yup, extended warranty is just another insurance policy that gives people peace of mind, especially if it's their only car and don't want to be bothered to work on it themselves (even if they could).
Or a toy car. If your toy budget is 5K a year, getting stuck with a 10K bill really takes the fun out of it.

Or a toy car. If your toy budget is 5K a year, getting stuck with a 10K bill really takes the fun out of it.
It all depends on the car, but I'd argue that if you have a daily driver in addition to a toy car that's reasonably reliable, you should invest in tools and knowledge rather than an extended warranty.

It all depends on the car, but I'd argue that if you have a daily driver in addition to a toy car that's reasonably reliable, you should invest in tools and knowledge rather than an extended warranty.
Fair enough. Obviously not toy material but I had an extended warranty on my last tdi. The high pressure fuel pump had a nasty habit of blowing up and contaminating the system with shrapnel. Repair required replacement of everything the fuel touched (tank, lines, pumps, injectors, etc). You were looking at days of labour and many thousands in parts. It didnt matter what tools or knowledge you had available, the repair sucked. Without that known failure I wouldnt have bought the warranty (and in the end warranty ended up paying for an a/c compressor and VW bought back the car for dieselgate with 170,000km remaining on warranty)

Fair enough. Obviously not toy material but I had an extended warranty on my last tdi. The high pressure fuel pump had a nasty habit of blowing up and contaminating the system with shrapnel. Repair required replacement of everything the fuel touched (tank, lines, pumps, injectors, etc). You were looking at days of labour and many thousands in parts. It didnt matter what tools or knowledge you had available, the repair sucked. Without that known failure I wouldnt have bought the warranty (and in the end warranty ended up paying for an a/c compressor and VW bought back the car for dieselgate with 170,000km remaining on warranty)

Was there an improved fuel pump that you could have replaced as preventative maintenance?

Back
Top Bottom