Daily sports car? | Page 37 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Daily sports car?

Was there an improved fuel pump that you could have replaced as preventative maintenance?
Not afaik. HPFP in DI engines are a pretty specific (and expensive) part. The HPFP alone costs about the same as the extended warranty so preventative replacement is not cost effective.
Now enough of smokers, back to sports cars.

;) 8k is not bad for a BMW
Extended warranties from anybody is a crock, lol a used BMW / ask for compression test results.
:sneaky: they profit by selling extended warranties, that should be your first hint you are getting ripped off
For sure agree. I’d never buy a third party warranty....but a dealership warranty gives me the piece of mind I’d like.

8k total is a big difference in budget for me unfortunately. So I think the 230 is out :(

I just bought a slightly used (less than 20k kms) 2014 Mustang. Never winter driven, still looks brand new inside and out. Picking it up next weekend. I’ll continue with only using it as a summer car and store it in the garage for winters. It’ll make a nice addition to the fleet!

I just bought a slightly used (less than 20k kms) 2014 Mustang. Never winter driven, still looks brand new inside and out. Picking it up next weekend. I’ll continue with only using it as a summer car and store it in the garage for winters. It’ll make a nice addition to the fleet!
Which model? Figure the 230 is as practical as a mustang so thought of the V6 or Ecoboost as the GT is too much $ for me.

;) 8k is not bad for a BMW
Extended warranties from anybody is a crock, lol a used BMW / ask for compression test results.
:sneaky: they profit by selling extended warranties, that should be your first hint you are getting ripped off

How is this a rip off though?
Who cares if the dealer is making a profit or not?
The idea of a warranty is to protect yourself against major and often expensive repairs.
If the warranty provides you with the peace of mind, how is this a bad thing? ?‍♂️

How is this a rip off though?
Who cares if the dealer is making a profit or not?
The idea of a warranty is to protect yourself against major and often expensive repairs.
If the warranty provides you with the peace of mind, how is this a bad thing? ?‍♂️
First off the warranty only covers defects in materials in workmanship, defects that are not going to appear until after the regular warranty expires, so you have to qualify the repair or replacement on the product. You are more likely to have your car written off in an accident, which you have different insurance for. The gamble the carrier is taking is very small on the defect warranty extension, unless the product you purchased was a complete lemon and you can bet the warranty you purchased won't cover that, it's not anti-lemon insurance.

This is the way I have to look at it, It's buying extra insurance. I'm old, if I bought extra insurance for everything I owned up to now, the amount would be staggering and depressing. All of the extended warranties would have expired by now, I'm still using an iPhone 5S and it survived great without an extended warranty. Even my life insurance company sent me most of my money back, I am no longer under warranty. I'm not buying extra life insurance now :/ somebody else can deal with that.

Can't argue that insurance is not a bad thing but it has been my observation that it is expensive piece of mind and you can never have enough. Go out and buy something nice and now you need to pay more insurance? Might better put that money into lottery tickets and take real good care of your stuff.

For sure agree. I’d never buy a third party warranty....but a dealership warranty gives me the piece of mind I’d like.

8k total is a big difference in budget for me unfortunately. So I think the 230 is out :(
Warranty purchased at VW dealership worked well fwiw. When A/C compressor failed, I just had to say warranty, pay a $100 deductible, sign a zero dollar invoice and wait for my car to get fixed. No push back, no arguing, no hassle. I was surprised how painless it was.

First off the warranty only covers defects in materials in workmanship, defects that are not going to appear until after the regular warranty expires, so you have to qualify the repair or replacement on the product. You are more likely to have your car written off in an accident, which you have different insurance for. The gamble the carrier is taking is very small on the defect warranty extension, unless the product you purchased was a complete lemon and you can bet the warranty you purchased won't cover that, it's not anti-lemon insurance.

This is the way I have to look at it, It's buying extra insurance. I'm old, if I bought extra insurance for everything I owned up to now, the amount would be staggering and depressing. All of the extended warranties would have expired by now, I'm still using an iPhone 5S and it survived great without an extended warranty. Even my life insurance company sent me most of my money back, I am no longer under warranty. I'm not buying extra life insurance now :/ somebody else can deal with that.

Can't argue that insurance is not a bad thing but it has been my observation that it is expensive piece of mind and you can never have enough. Go out and buy something nice and now you need to pay more insurance? Might better put that money into lottery tickets and take real good care of your stuff.
Picking up aftermarket insurance for a 4 year old phone doesn't make much sense, cost to replace it is negligible compared to replacing a blown engine or transmission even on a used vehicle.

"replacing a blown engine or transmission even on a used vehicle." Your cars extended warranty does that?
Any I've seen, the claim would still need to be a defect in the original manufacturers parts or workmanship. and not something already covered under a recall or inadequately maintained, or precipitated by an accident, etc. etc.

"Picking up aftermarket insurance for a 4 year old phone doesn't make much sense"
We were talking about extended warranties, and you are right, I did not think their extended warranty offer made much sense.

On third party warranties.... as noted by others they are basically repair insurance that covers break/fix repairs (hopefully). Some are better than others.

Like anything that involves inanimate objects and money you need to weigh the risks vs the cost and remove all emotion from the decision.
  1. What is the cost of the repair insurance?
  2. How much could you fix if you just put that money in the bank?
  3. Can you live with non-fatal failures like say AC, and fix them in the future when you have the money (or time)?
  4. What is the financial impact to you if the car has a fatal failure (engine, transmission...) and you decide to walk away from it instead of fix it?
  5. Will that above fatal failure really change your life (car is basically scrap)?
  6. What is the likelihood of said fatal failures?
As we are talking what is basically a toy maybe it is not really affordable budget wise if 4 and/or 5 is a major problem. If they are not and 6 is low risk, it only makes sense if repair insurance is dirt cheap. Can you live with something like 3 either short or long term? Can you fix things yourself? The key, it is a car so remove emotion from the decision (which for many can be hard to do, but it is just a car....). In the end they stay in business by collecting more money than they pay out....

"replacing a blown engine or transmission even on a used vehicle." Your cars extended warranty does that?
Any I've seen, the claim would still need to be a defect in the original manufacturers parts or workmanship. and not something already covered under a recall or inadequately maintained, or precipitated by an accident, etc.
You are correct, but the same applies to the normal warranty. All youre doing is extending your peace of mind. Now is that peace of mind worth the Dinero? Only you can decide that.

@backmarkerducati well said! I agree with all your points.
Its such an emotional decision I’ll be honest and tell you that I went to that BMW dealer with 100% intention to buy the car the minute I saw it.

thank Christ I was able to pull back as the price wasn’t moving in my favour. Even now if the dealer calls me an accepts my 32.5k offer I’m taking that car.

Was there an improved fuel pump that you could have replaced as preventative maintenance?

Someone (I believe locally, in Peterborough) came up with a kit to replace the Bosch CP4 HPFP in the late model VW TDIs with a Bosch CP3, but then dieselgate came along, and wiped out the demand for it.

I will not buy anything that has a diesel engine with a Bosch CP4-series HPFP in it, and lots of newer diesels use that pump, it isn't just VW, and others had problems with them too. It's a too-cheap crap design for what it has to do. I drove VW diesels for years, but stopped when the emission control systems went way over the top. My 2006 was the last year without all that stuff. (AFAIK that car is still on the road, the chap who bought it from me with 430k on it still has it at last check)

Someone (I believe locally, in Peterborough) came up with a kit to replace the Bosch CP4 HPFP in the late model VW TDIs with a Bosch CP3, but then dieselgate came along, and wiped out the demand for it.

I will not buy anything that has a diesel engine with a Bosch CP4-series HPFP in it, and lots of newer diesels use that pump, it isn't just VW, and others had problems with them too. It's a too-cheap crap design for what it has to do. I drove VW diesels for years, but stopped when the emission control systems went way over the top. My 2006 was the last year without all that stuff. (AFAIK that car is still on the road, the chap who bought it from me with 430k on it still has it at last check)
Price I saw for cp3 kit was 1500 to 2500 USD. Really eats into any fuel savings.

Dieselgate was a mess but that was the cheapest car I've ever owned. It went back at five years and 130K and I could have had a two year old gas wagon with 25K for zero dollars as a trade.

So this is the new design for next M4/M3 :LOL:

BMW-M4_Coupe_Competition-2021-800-23.jpg

Atleast their motorcycles are looking good

I like it. But I prefer the early days M3....just drove beside one on Dundas. Such a sweet ride in red. Just checked it’s the E46 generation.

Back
Top Bottom