Daily sports car? | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Daily sports car?

You asked!

Yes, but if you're only driving it in traffic, then you might as well have a Cadillac instead. To me, DCT is the best of both worlds. All the performance of a manual transmission without the clutch, and the option to have the shifts automated for you WHEN YOU WANT.

Yes, but if you're only driving it in traffic, then you might as well have a Cadillac instead. To me, DCT is the best of both worlds. All the performance of a manual transmission without the clutch, and the option to have the shifts automated for you WHEN YOU WANT.
Does any factory DCT have multiple launch rpm's available? I know it can be done with a flash, but being able to alter your launch to compensate for weather/tire/track conditions is a very useful thing that is easily accomplished in a standard car and normally impossible in a DCT car.

I don't disagree, all im saying is: it's an automatic transmission regardless of what 'mode' you prefer.

I don't disagree, all im saying is: it's an automatic transmission regardless of what 'mode' you prefer.

Manual transmission with an automatic mode. Strip away all the automation, and you have a run of the mill manual transmission packaged differently for the two clutches. This is much different from an automatic transmission using planetary gears and a torque converter (although to be honest, I never wrapped my head around how they work).

Does any factory DCT have multiple launch rpm's available? I know it can be done with a flash, but being able to alter your launch to compensate for weather/tire/track conditions is a very useful thing that is easily accomplished in a standard car and normally impossible in a DCT car.

I’m 99% Chrysler SRT products you can change the launch mode rpm. It’s been a couple of months since I drove one and I don’t make it a habit of using different launch modes. They use a traditional automatic and not DCT though. Good question.

I have no idea. On the one hand I want to say that the C8 isn't meant to be a drag racer, but at the same time, 0-60 and quarter mile times are significant performance benchmarks. I know from experience that the Tesla Model S has no launch control - just set it to Ludicrous mode, be at a complete stop with your foot on the brake, release and mash the accelerator.

I’m 99% Chrysler SRT products you can change the launch mode rpm. It’s been a couple of months since I drove one and I don’t make it a habit of using different launch modes. They use a traditional automatic and not DCT though. Good question.
I would not be surprised, since the Hellcat, and more so the Demon, are essentially built for drag racing.

Manual transmission with an automatic mode. Strip away all the automation, and you have a run of the mill manual transmission packaged differently for the two clutches. This is much different from an automatic transmission using planetary gears and a torque converter (although to be honest, I never wrapped my head around how they work).
We can agree to disagree, the dual clutch does not rely on the user for input to change gears. In reality it's better classified as a hybrid system, but i'm stubborn.

We can agree to disagree, the dual clutch does not rely on the user for input to change gears. In reality it's better classified as a hybrid system, but i'm stubborn.

This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You can be KARR.:p

For 30% of the money. IMO, I would like this more than the NSX at even money (and they aren't even close). I still want to hear the C8 though. If they were to do a flat plane crank, omg. That would put a hurting on the Italians. Even going slow, a flat plane V8 makes me very happy.

For 30% $$of the new Vette i would buy a mint first gen NSX :)

Good luck with that. Last time I checked, they were still going fo $50k and up.
Which is amazing considering I almost bought a 95 Targa back in 96 for $55. What an investment that would have been, but understandable considering the all-aluminum construction and somewhat timeless (but arguably dull) design.

That may be true of a conventional slushbox torque converter automatic, but most modern vehicles with DCT have separate gear selector positions for manual vs automated mode.
If anything, a DCT is a semi-automatic when in manual mode.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Yesterday. I had some fun.
Highway (undisclosed).
New Porshce 911, new 2 seater ragtop benz, and me.
If I had the A8, I'd rather drive it in the ditch. The M7 is so much fun (in these scenarios) I can't explain it. True, it's not as fast as the A8 to 100 whatevers....... I don't see myself trading it for a C8 anytime soon even if they put triple dual clutches in one..

Yesterday. I had some fun.
Highway (undisclosed).
New Porshce 911, new 2 seater ragtop benz, and me.
If I had the A8, I'd rather drive it in the ditch. The M7 is so much fun (in these scenarios) I can't explain it. True, it's not as fast as the A8 to 100 whatevers....... I don't see myself trading it for a C8 anytime soon even if they put triple dual clutches in one..

The A8 sucked because while it was quick under WOT under any other conditions the paddle had a lag from the moment it was clicked to when it actually did the shift. A true dual clutch doesn't do that, the second that paddle is hit is the second that thing is shifting. A manual is more fun for spirited driving no doubt, all out performance then dual clutches are hard to beat. Also these dual clutches had to be designed to handle the high torque of the Chevy motors and even more for the higher end models to come so I guess they didn't bother spending any extra on making the manual work in the C8.

"This transmission isn't an off-the-shelf part, either. The Corvette engineers worked with the chassis team to design a bespoke transmission capable of handling everything planned for the eighth-generation car. The Corvette makes a lot of power and torque, and the team wanted zero compromises. Working with the chassis team also helped fit the transmission so it helped lower the center of gravity in the car, and that creates its own performance benefits."

"The team also found they could channel torque through both shafts, meaning, the transmission might be engaging third, but torque is driving through second gear still. All of this boils down to very aggressive launches and quicker 0-60 mph times."

When you have the base C8 doing 0-60 times under 3 sec, you know those future z06/zr1 models are going to be insane

Last edited:
For the C8 they mentioned it has a very long first gear so it doesn't need to shift before 60mph. So...they could put a manual in it and they would have the same acceleration time. Up to 60mph anyways. I'm not in the market for a Vette even though it's a pretty amazing package for the price.

I'm very annoyed that there's no manual option for the new Supra though. I actually want one but not with an auto. That thing would be perfect with the M240i's 6-speed manual transmission bolted on. Probably would be cheaper too. The auto is $1600 more than the manual Bimmer.

Both of these cars will sell really well even with just the auto options. Just kind of depressing. I think a real sports car should have a manual so the driver is in control.

For the C8 they mentioned it has a very long first gear so it doesn't need to shift before 60mph. So...they could put a manual in it and they would have the same acceleration time. Up to 60mph anyways. I'm not in the market for a Vette even though it's a pretty amazing package for the price.

I'm very annoyed that there's no manual option for the new Supra though. I actually want one but not with an auto. That thing would be perfect with the M240i's 6-speed manual transmission bolted on. Probably would be cheaper too. The auto is $1600 more than the manual Bimmer.

Both of these cars will sell really well even with just the auto options. Just kind of depressing. I think a real sports car should have a manual so the driver is in control.

You mean like F1 cars?

I honestly wouldn't know and don't care. I stopped watching F1 in like 2007.

Since when is an F1 car a sports car? That would be a race car...

Manuals really are dead.

In 2018, Toyota sold some 280,000 Corollas in the United States. Just 1% of buyers chose a manual transmission. One! If you only look at the hatchback's figures, they are a touch more positive at 15% for the manual, but as the sedan considerably outsells the hatch, there aren't that many eager manual Corolla buyers in the States. As for the Tacoma and Yaris, they both hover at 5%, and undoubtedly as a result, the 2020 Yaris hatch is auto only for the U.S. market.

But the real knife twister is the 86. Even though it's viewed at an enthusiast car, the 86's figures are heavily on the automatic's side. Just 33% of buyers went for the manual, and 67% would rather have the six-speed automatic do the hard work. It's no wonder the Supra only comes as an automatic, and just looking at these numbers, we wouldn't really be that surprised if the eventual 86 successor left out the manual option as well, at least for the United States. Globally, the results surely differ, but in the States it seems 86 buyers favor autobox convenience to the analog feel of shifting your own gears.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom