Daily sports car? | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Daily sports car?

As someone who doesn’t race, but does track days, I can tell you that I HATE rowing. It’s not just milliseconds for a successful shift, it’s what you save on an unsuccessful one, and I don’t care how talented you are you will eventually miss one. Which direction will tell how much time and money. LOL.

So how many of you anti-manual folks are shopping for an automatic bike?

Yes, I would love to have a new Tuono with quick shifter with auto blip.

And I don't know why everybody calls DCT automatic? You can allow the system to make automated shifts if you're feeling lazy, like during my rush hour traffic commute. Otherwise, shift it with the paddles, similarly to shifting a bike.

Wait, don't you have one of those, Blackfin?
Pretty sure he does mean a DCT, not an 'auto blipper', you're still manually changing the gear every time.

And I don't know why everybody calls DCT automatic? You can allow the system to make automated shifts if you're feeling lazy, like during my rush hour traffic commute. Otherwise, shift it with the paddles, similarly to shifting a bike.
Because your inputs are not required to change the gears.

Yes, they are. Unless you specifically put it into automatic mode.
If I can put it in automatic mode, by definition it is an automatic. A manual transmission is completely incapable of making decisions or shifting itself.

If I can put it in automatic mode, by definition it is an automatic. A manual transmission is completely incapable of making decisions or shifting itself.
But if it isn't in automatic mode, it is also incapable of shifting itself.

Also, the argument seems to center around the automatic aspect of DCT. Who would ever use automatic mode under any circumstances other than traffic?

But if it isn't in automatic mode, it is also incapable of shifting itself.
...Is this real life?

Most modern vehicles with an AUTOMATIC transmission, have a 'manual' mode where you use the stick or paddle shifters as inputs to change gears. The transmission is still considered automatic.

Also, the argument seems to center around the automatic aspect of DCT. Who would ever use automatic mode under any circumstances other than traffic?
Guess where the majority of people in a vehicle spend their time? lol.

So how many of you anti-manual folks are shopping for an automatic bike?
For the record, I am NOT anti-manual. I consider a DCT to still me manual when in manual mode. What I am against is gated shifters and clutching during shifts.

For the record, I am NOT anti-manual. I consider a DCT to still me manual when in manual mode. What I am against is gated shifters and clutching during shifts.
Almost every DCT when in manual mode will still shift. It cannot be prevented. Every single one I know of will shift down at low rpm(ie won't allow the motor to stall) and the vast majority also listen to the kickdown switch. Having a transmission change gears on its own unavoidably and in multiple ways means it is an automatic. Yes, you can put it in manual mode and tell the computer what you want to do, but the computer still controls the transmission so there are situations where it will ignore you (ie. not manual).

...Is this real life?

Most modern vehicles with an AUTOMATIC transmission, have a 'manual' mode where you use the stick or paddle shifters as inputs to change gears. The transmission is still considered automatic.

That may be true of a conventional slushbox torque converter automatic, but most modern vehicles with DCT have separate gear selector positions for manual vs automated mode.

Almost every DCT when in manual mode will still shift. It cannot be prevented. Every single one I know of will shift down at low rpm(ie won't allow the motor to stall) and the vast majority also listen to the kickdown switch. Having a transmission change gears on its own unavoidably and in multiple ways means it is an automatic. Yes, you can put it in manual mode and tell the computer what you want to do, but the computer still controls the transmission so there are situations where it will ignore you (ie. not manual).

There are definitely different implementations depending on the manufacturer, and possibly depending on the model. I'm pretty sure the tuning of an Audi A4's DSG is a little different from the R8's. Regardless, I'm pretty sure GM is not building anything into the C8's transmission that would take away from performance. And that's the bottom line - you get to extract maximum performance from the car with that tranny. Anyone who says they can't do something with a DCT is just trying to goof around or perform stunts, neither of which are the point of a car like this.

Back
Top Bottom