Cross country trip with covid? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cross country trip with covid?

With all the mask requirements I figured I'd switch to my alternate helmet which has a very wide FoV visor and do a shopping errand.
Just wandered in with it on, talked to the pharmacist and paid and rode home. Hellishly easier than a mask. :D
I'll be riding with that set up the rest of the summer and fall. Hate talking through a mask.
Will make touring easier to leaving the helmet on when interacting.

I see.... Yes.
Blasting off from Kitchener it DOES make sense to take the Chi-Cheemaun across to South Baymouth in order to get to Sault Ste. Marie.

Have you done it before..?
I'd recommend bringing your own ratchet strap(s) for securing your bike below deck. The ropes provided are a little "rough"

Ambassador Motel is at 1275 Great Northern Road.
Try Giovanni's on GNR for Italian .. :)

Have I done it before?...
Yes back in 2012...they handed me a piece of binder twine lol.
I learned my lesson...now I always carry a couple of ratchet straps.
I also added the Ambassador info on my list of places.
Thanks to all for any additional info as I find these things quite usefull on trips like this.

I think alot of us from here will see each other on the road, since many are leaving at the similar times. I'll be leaving August 6th/7th, pending some work to finish, got a 3 weeks off, though took a month just in case. I'll be spending about 4-5 days in Vancouver,and 2 days in Calgary with my sister.

Just got a fresh set of tires, will do an oil change before leaving, and then ship some oil/filter to my sisters in Calgary and do a change on the way back. If the tires need changing, will swap in Calgary due to less tax. This is what I'm thinking going up

I've been planning a similar trip as you Scorpion. My daughter lives in Banff. My son is moving there next week.

Just not sure on my departure date yet.

Safe travels to all going West.

Here's my setup.

JayIMG_6076.jpg

I've been planning a similar trip as you Scorpion. My daughter lives in Banff. My son is moving there next week.

Just not sure on my departure date yet.

Safe travels to all going West.

Here's my setup.

JayView attachment 44304

Gorgeous bike! I grew up in Africa and always dream't of an Africa twin, then I picked up its brother from another mother, maybe we'll see each other up there :)

DSCF1915.jpg

^^ Sweet rides!
Is that stock seats on both of your bikes?

Scorpion, just west of Thunder Bay are a few different ways to exit the province passing by Quetico Provincial Park - I'll be checking those out as well as the TransCanada. You may also prefer some of the roads I'm doing in BC on my way home instead of taking the TransCanada both ways.
1595958844716.png

^^ Sweet rides!

Scorpion, just west of Thunder Bay are a few different ways to exit the province passing by Quetico Provincial Park - I'll be checking those out as well as the TransCanada. You may also prefer some of the roads I'm doing in BC on my way home instead of taking the TransCanada both ways.
View attachment 44309

Stock seat here, I did pick a pair of these up, they have a Chamois pad built in and I thought its a gimmick for bikes, though done a long trip with them and they seem to work really well so far. Not many aftermarket seats available for the T7 yet, actually none other than Yamaha's Rally Seat

Thanks for the route! I'll be doing that, don't have much of a route planned for the ride back, and even going up I just keep it 80% fixed, then get ideas like this, meet locals, and just start taking side roads. Hoping to find a few Gravel roads and climbs out west with some viewpoints

Anyone here camping along the way or are you all staying in hotels, motels or something else?

I'm still debating on bringing my tent and gear or staying in motels along the way to save weight and space.

Anyone here camping along the way or are you all staying in hotels, motels or something else?

I'm still debating on bringing my tent and gear or staying in motels along the way to save weight and space.

I was debating this yesterday, I'll be taking the camping kit, though will try and find deals on the way. I do know, near the mountains, things aren't always affordable in terms of accommodations. If I don't use the kit I may just leave it in Calgary with my sister and travel light out west and pick it up on the way back. I'm still 10% uncertain whether to take it or not

I was debating this yesterday, I'll be taking the camping kit, though will try and find deals on the way. I do know, near the mountains, things aren't always affordable in terms of accommodations. If I don't use the kit I may just leave it in Calgary with my sister and travel light out west and pick it up on the way back. I'm still 10% uncertain whether to take it or not
So the area where you are likely to camp is the bear and cougar area? If you are going that route, make sure you have fully thought through the plan so you don't have any nighttime visitors.

So the area where you are likely to camp is the bear and cougar area? If you are going that route, make sure you have fully thought through the plan so you don't have any nighttime visitors.

That's a good point, though the female variety of Cougars I've seen in BC are very welcome in my tent ? Chances are I'll leave the tent in Calgary for the west portion if I don't use it on the east side at all. Rain stops me from camping more, a wet tent gets cold, and added fact that have to find a day/time to dry it so mold doesn't grow then

Hotels/motels for me...
Too damn sissy-fied for camping...

I'll probably pack a rifle and stop for a day of gopher shootin' in Sask.

'Been watching "Million Dollar Bogan" vlog...
His trip to Alaska provides some advice re. dealing with bears... Not good advice, but entertaining none the less

Last edited:
^^ Sweet rides!

Stock seat, I'm good until I hit 1000kms for the day. then it's time to look for a bed.
Marriott chain hotels for me.

Shane, we should meet some day, I think we share the same passion for riding.

Gorgeous bike! I grew up in Africa and always dream't of an Africa twin, then I picked up its brother from another mother, maybe we'll see each other up there :)

Thanks, The T7 is getting very good reviews. A friend who has done many Dakars & has written a book on riding is setting up his T7 as we speak for a special excursion.

I will keep a eye out for your T7 and also a Black on Black Strom

Thanks, The T7 is getting very good reviews. A friend who has done many Dakars & has written a book on riding is setting up his T7 as we speak for a special excursion.

I will keep a eye out for your T7 and also a Black on Black Strom
Great to hear you are well and active Jay.Maybe ...someday.

Lol at the river pic.I know that one!

Thanks for the route! I'll be doing that, don't have much of a route planned for the ride back, and even going up I just keep it 80% fixed, then get ideas like this, meet locals, and just start taking side roads. Hoping to find a few Gravel roads and climbs out west with some viewpoints
If you have a few extra days to ride around, then you may like to visit the island and explore a bit. As you can see it's only around 1700km to do a full circuit, but there are amazing places to get off the bike and enjoy. I've been before, but never out to Port Hardy or some of the interior.
1596036669981.png

Stock seat, I'm good until I hit 1000kms for the day. then it's time to look for a bed.
Marriott chain hotels for me.

Shane, we should meet some day, I think we share the same passion for riding.
I could never imagine more than a few hundred km's with the V-Strom stock seat.

And yes - I'm always up for meeting like minded riders.

Is September too late for a trip of this sort? Thinking of renting a cargo van and throwing the bike in the back along with camping gear etc and making this trip over a span of 3 weeks. Will stay in the occasional motel/hotel when needed.

Mainly would like to ride around BC/Alberta rockies

Bit tight - easy with two drivers ... if you count 23 days ( 4 weekends - 3 weeks ) you should be fine

be prepared for a shock coming around that bottom corner ...the off shore current is super cold.
Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at Jul, 29    2020    8.20.22 PM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom